Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Passenger Says Luggage Has Been Missing For Weeks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Passenger Says Luggage Has Been Missing For Weeks

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Stranger
But there is a cap on airline responsibility for luggage. Surely it's unwise to pack more value than that.

And it's foolish to check valuable stuff such as jewelry. And against recommendation by the airlines.

Plus, perhaps the valuation of clothing items calls for a bit of skepticism? Otherwise, again, not a great idea to travel with the best of your expensive wardrobe.
There is a cap. For AC it is what? $750? As it has been for 30 years? (Yes I am probably exaggerating, but if somebody chooses to respond to the exaggeration and not the substance...) If an airline is going to take your bag and charge you for it, they own the responsibility of getting it and its contents back to you, or paying you fair compensation. My point was simply what if the majority of the value was the clothing, would we still say it is foolish? And it is quite easy to exceed the cap with a single pair of shoes. Never mind anything else. The cap is outdated. Not only is it not unwise to pack more than that, it is completely totally reasonable and normal to do so. The airline should take real responsibility for lost luggage. Like everything else though, they basically say: "not my problem." Anyways, try transporting a bike. Then you can get really outraged at the gap between what they will compensate you for and the value of the item. It can be much much larger than the amount being discussed here.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by flyquiet
To clarify, even if Alitalia baggage handlers set fire to the suitcase and posed for selfies in front of it, before throwing it in the ocean, while posting the entire spectacle to YouTube, it is not the passenger's duty to pursue Alitalia if the last carrier on the itinerary is Air Canada.

Air Canada certainly could and should chase Alitalia for 100% of what they had to pay the passenger in compensation, but the passenger is not required to give that a moment's consideration.

I certainly "blame" LH for misplacing my bag, and don't harbour ill will toward AC for the fact the bag was not on the carousel when I landed. (I harbour ill will for the amount they jerked me around about where the bag was and how much compensation they would pay.) But I have no legal beef with LH under the EU law, Montreal Convention, or contact of carriage or whatever else.
Understood, and acknowledged that everything you say is irrefutable, and right on. It just irks me that AC will get the "blame" for losing the luggage for what I believe is an Alitalia screw up. My annoyance is that Alitalia and FCO get a free pass on this because the media doesn't provide the detail. No argument from me on the AC response as I have been through it several times and its crap.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by 172pilot
You are assuming AC as the last carrier lost the bag. Maybe they did or maybe Alitalia lost the bag. We don't know. AC certainly sucks in this area but they are far from the worst.
Actually, all I was doing was using it as shorthand for: it doesn't matter which airline lost her bag, and it could well have been AC or it could have been another carrier, AC is responsible for the bag, its contents, and getting them back to her.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by ridefar
There is a cap. For AC it is what? $750? As it has been for 30 years?
The cap is 1,131 Special Drawing Rights, which the Internet tells me currently equates to roughly 1,991 CAD.

However, I have had AC say that the Montreal Convention is limited in its applicability. For instance, no compensation for delayed bags when arriving to one's home. I prevailed over that because I needed the wardrobe that was in the bag (and did not have the equivalent at home) to pack for another immediate trip. However, I attributed my success to having travelled from EU. I can't recall the mouse print on the domestic tariff but I had the impression they were picking and choosing clauses of the convention to accept whereas ex-EU they cannot pick or choose.

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Understood, and acknowledged that everything you say is irrefutable, and right on. It just irks me that AC will get the "blame" for losing the luggage for what I believe is an Alitalia screw up. My annoyance is that Alitalia and FCO get a free pass on this because the media doesn't provide the detail. No argument from me on the AC response as I have been through it several times and its crap.
I would think Alitalia will not get a free pass. I think the airlines will settle it between them. The same goes the other way often enough, I am sure.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:07 am

I can't recall the mouse print on the domestic tariff but I had the impression they were picking and choosing clauses of the convention to accept whereas ex-EU they cannot pick or choose.
It has now jumped to $1500 CDN. Which I would assume AC would apply to any flight that doesn't depart the EU. (Most of them.)

When a decent Briggs & Riley is $500, that leaves you with $1000 for contents. Which could be less than a pair of shoes or maybe two. Heck, a pair of decent gym outfits (Lulu Lemon, for example) and some running shoes would be $400-$450. What if I packed a heart rate monitor? Oh, thats another $75. Anyways, we all know this. To dispute that it is easy, normal, and reasonable to significantly exceed the allowance is just being obtuse and obstreperous.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: Enough
The cap is 1,131 Special Drawing Rights, which the Internet tells me currently equates to roughly 1,991 CAD.

However, I have had AC say that the Montreal Convention is limited in its applicability. For instance, no compensation for delayed bags when arriving to one's home. I prevailed over that because I needed the wardrobe that was in the bag (and did not have the equivalent at home) to pack for another immediate trip. However, I attributed my success to having travelled from EU. I can't recall the mouse print on the domestic tariff but I had the impression they were picking and choosing clauses of the convention to accept whereas ex-EU they cannot pick or choose.

I would think Alitalia will not get a free pass. I think the airlines will settle it between them. The same goes the other way often enough, I am sure.
While a carrier may claim that the baggage delay provisions of the Montreal Convention don't apply to a passenger returning home, this is not correct. The Montreal Convention does not distinguish between outbound travel or return travel for the purposes of delay reimbursements. Indeed, the CTA has publically and consistently ruled against carriers trying to claim no reimbursements for returning home. So if a carrier denies a claim for Montreal Convention reimbursement due to 'returning home', they're in violation of their tariff and the Montreal Convention and a claim should be made against them at the CTA.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:49 am

and some running shoes would be $400-$450.
Curious, what kind of shoes are you counting here? Maybe if I paid more, I could go faster.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

T

Domestic travel is not subject to either the Montreal or the Warsaw convention. as another poster said it's CAD 1500 for luggage.

Warsaw convention is even worse. Seems to apply to countries that signed it, but did not sign the Montreal one.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:21 am

Curious, what kind of shoes are you counting here? Maybe if I paid more, I could go faster.
Maybe you could. I believe I said a pair (as in two) Lulu Lemon outfits (shorts and shirt) plus running shoes. I allotted $150 for each outfit. That leaves $100-$150 for shoes. Which if you run, is, I think, fairly normal. You can go price it out if you want, but it strikes me as in line. Oh, I didn't include socks. And I assumed summer gear, not rain or winter. Because that could be another $200 more.

So you tell me, does a $100 for a pair of running shoes make you faster? Faster than what? Is that fast enough? I know a $20k bike can make you faster than a $2k bike (thanks to marketing and aerodynamics). You should see the arguments amongst some cyclists who think those with a $20k bike have bought their way to a time trial victory (in their local club race). LOL.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Higher quality general form Adidas, Asics and Nike trainers easily go for $200 to $300. You can see them online at the retailers.

When that debonaire young buck from SFO isn't in flip flops, I bet he is wearing Buscemi High Tops @ $1,200 or flashing his Nike Air Kobe I @ $35,000 or maybe looking saucy in his Jimmy Choo runners @ $3500.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:09 pm

(removing OT)

Last edited by flyquiet; Jul 22, 2017 at 12:48 pm Reason: removing OT
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Please note a number of off topic posts have been deleted so let's please return the discussion to the thread topic.

tcook052
AC forum Mod.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
This should be the first and last post in the thread. "Maybe AC didn't lose it!" is completely irrelevant.
It's only as irrelevant as the "AC did lose it".

State an incorrect or unprovable fact, and I'm going to counter it.

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
When that debonaire young buck from SFO isn't in flip flops, I bet he is wearing Buscemi High Tops @ $1,200 or flashing his Nike Air Kobe I @ $35,000 or maybe looking saucy in his Jimmy Choo runners @ $3500.
You have never seen me wearing flip flops. And unless we happen to run into each other on a beach, you never well. And even then, I'd say it's 50/50.

But yes, I do like my $35k runners.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
$6,000 doesn't really seem like an unreasonable amount of clothing. Heck, that could be 3 pairs of shoes. I guess we are all supposed to dress like paupers when we travel?
I agree with you. My suitcase could have over 10K of clothing in it.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by canadiancow
You do not know that AC lost her bag..
I'm betting it's not AC fault. Italian airport are bad for luggage. AC should have been able to tell pax if their bag made it to the AC flight. If bag didn't make the AC flight, I would think bag is lost forever. Italian airport worker will not even try to find it.

Last edited by tcook052; Jul 22, 2017 at 3:33 pm Reason: fix quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.