Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Check in Not Allowed- AC Flight to USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 100k MM, SPG Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt Gold, Airmiles, AMEX

YYC to LAX tomorrow, the AC system online and mobile won't let me check in. I am Nexus, etc. and this has only happened to me one other time. Is there any reason for this? Random?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
If you can get through the check-in process and it only fails at the last step, then you are likely receiving SSSS on your boarding pass for additional screening.

If you can't even get into OLCI, then it could be something as simple as the flight is not open for check in at the moment (even though you are within 24 hours - if they are working on something for the flight they sometimes close check-in).
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Yes- it is on the last step. I got grilled the last time this happened on the reason for my visit
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by coleo
Yes- it is on the last step. I got grilled the last time this happened on the reason for my visit
I've had AC check in fail on the last step several times for no apparent reason and never gotten SSSS. In at least one instance the agent even said I was already checked in despite it not being willing to complete and provide a BP.

So it could be SSSS. It could be AC IT.
Either way, I'd try and get to the airport 2-3h before the flight to give you plenty of time to get thru immigration pre-clearance.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Are you booking one-way flights? This used to happen to me constantly when I did this to the U.S. and stopped once I went round trip.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:24 pm

SSSS for sure.

Doesn't make sense for one way, since all my flight pass bookings are one way. Me and MrsITAG haven't had this for a few years now.

Might be some small document inconsistency, or DHS has you flagged, or it could be solar flares, or a broken bit in the bucket.

But definitely SSSS.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
While the odds are SSSS, it *could* be the KTN bug.
I've had the same failure in the past and what I did as a last attempt was successful to produce a BP. Clear cache/cookies (at least all from AC). Try to OLCI using passport instead of NEXUS, and do not input NEXUS anywhere in the form. (If you previously entered it, it already has the number, and inputting it again may be causing conflict with trying to put it in again. My theory about the bug is never input both NEXUS as travel document *and* NEXUS as KTN.)
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:54 pm

Happened to me on a transborder AP reservation that I had changed a few months back. No SSSS. Simply a system glitch.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: AC E75K
This happens to me with some regularity. Usually related to some document check issues.

Or maybe this is related to this?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canad...ights-usa.html
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:24 am

SSSS? Secondary Screening Supplementary Screening ??
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:27 am

SSSS "super sexy strip search" is what my kids think it means.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by pitz
Happened to me on a transborder AP reservation that I had changed a few months back. No SSSS. Simply a system glitch.
Yup, every time people report this and everyone chimes in saying SSSS ... not necessarily so. I've had several flights to/from the US fail OLCI fail over the last couple of years and at the same time I can't remember the last time I had SSSS. These were not AP either, just AC transborder flights booked through our corporate portal same as every other time.

There is clearly some kind of IT issue that prevents OLCI sometimes. I've even had it where it works on the way down and not on the way home, so nothing to do with the information I've provided (NEXUS vs. Passport, etc.).
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by coleo
YYC to LAX tomorrow, the AC system online and mobile won't let me check in. I am Nexus, etc. and this has only happened to me one other time. Is there any reason for this? Random?
Just remember part of NEXUS terms & conditions is random selection........
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: AC E50K, Skywards Silver
Not the same situation as the OP, but twice this year have been blocked from even starting OLCI with the "OLCI is not available" message. Once to the US, once to HKG. Both times had something to do with wanting someone to physically see the credit card I booked with (different cards for each booking too). Never used to happen, so either something has changed in my profile or something at AC whether in finance or IT has changed.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
Just remember part of NEXUS terms & conditions is random selection........
Yes it just happens so infrequently that I don't know what it is related to with all the new security stuff happening. This is 3x in about 4 years at all random airports, probably 200+ flights.

The security environment felt much different today- a little twitchier.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...orts-1.4211518

I was given the bag size too big, not allowed on plane at the gate treatment as well. They said because CATSA was around, they had to check it and AC was threatening to revoke their license because of so many infractions. I didn't buy it but whatever. It fits perfectly in the A320/737 bins and other planes but was a little extended today for that tiny sizer, they didn't care. First world problems for the day. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.