Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Exclusive: SFO near miss might have triggered ‘greatest aviation disaster in history’

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exclusive: SFO near miss might have triggered ‘greatest aviation disaster in history’

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I will await the Aviation Herald report. However, I do wish Air Canada would be more reassuring with its public statement.

"Air Canada flight AC759 from Toronto was preparing to land at SFO Friday night when the aircraft initiated a go-around. The aircraft landed normally without incident. We are still investigating the circumstances."

Not reassuring to me. No one wants to be part of a Pan Am- KLM Tenerife re-enactment. However, for some people the AC statement will suffice.

edit: Just listened to the ATC again, AC pilot did inquire as to the "runway" and this suggested he was unsure. That's the impression I have. An ATC person that was "listening" would have picked up on that uncertainty, although aside from reconfirming runway, I don't know what else ATC could do. Anyway, I will await Simon's reliable info.

Last edited by Transpacificflyer; Jul 10, 2017 at 9:52 pm
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by gabdusch
Full audio clip from this post:
I was being lazy

It looks like less than 30 seconds between go around and overhead the taxiway. That would mean he was at about 300-400 feet. Pretty close to touchdown but lots of time to initiate the go around.

I'm inclined to believe the crew was sufficiently uncomfortable with the visual picture that there was zero chance they would have continued with the approach.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:48 pm
Original Member

What could be more reassuring than "business as usual"?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by trek604
Thanks.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Wow.

As I briefly alluded to here, I was on AC759 on 7/7. After flying in from TXL via FRA and YYZ that day, I was super tired and eager to get home. The go-around annoyed me at the time, but I had no idea how dangerous the situation was. Now I have chills going down my spine.

What do you guys think? Will I ever hear from AC with anything like an apology?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:55 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by After Burner
I was being lazy

It looks like less than 30 seconds between go around and overhead the taxiway. That would mean he was at about 300-400 feet. Pretty close to touchdown but lots of time to initiate the go around.

I'm inclined to believe the crew was sufficiently uncomfortable with the visual picture that there was zero chance they would have continued with the approach.
Why would they ask the the tower about lights on the runway? Wouldn't that have been the time to abort?

Seems even the tower didn't realize something was amiss until the UA pilot complained. I don't know if they would have realized their mistake in time, but they had already made one serious mistake. And there's a long history of airline incidents as a result of a series of cascading errors.

Anything beyond what actually happened is just speculation.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Wow.

As I briefly alluded to here, I was on AC759 on 7/7. After flying in from TXL via FRA and YYZ that day, I was super tired and eager to get home. The go-around annoyed me at the time, but I had no idea how dangerous the situation was. Now I have chills going down my spine.

I've never heard of an airline apologizing for a go around.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:59 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Wow.

If the past is any indication they will as much as possible pretend nothing out of the ordinary happened.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
This is really shocking. After the Asiana pilot error incident a few years ago, that airline was banned from SFO for 45 days. I think this is significantly more serious. I doubt it will happen, but a 6-month ban of Air Canada seems appropriate
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by KenHamer
Why would they ask the the tower about lights on the runway? Wouldn't that have been the time to abort?

Seems even the tower didn't realize something was amiss until the UA pilot complained. I don't know if they would have realized their mistake in time, but they had already made one serious mistake. And there's a long history of airline incidents as a result of a series of cascading errors.

Anything beyond what actually happened is just speculation.
Right, if things don't look right, if there's any doubt, initiate the go around. He sure seems to have left it pretty late.

The other question I would ask is was he tracking the localizer? If he was, then why didn't he notice being off course? If he wasn't -- then why wasn't he?

And as you noted, the tower didn't notice he wasn't aligned with 28R. That's a bit surprising.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by KenHamer
What could be more reassuring than "business as usual"?
Touché.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
this happened with Delta in 2009; and the pilots were not disciplined. [and by happened, I mean they actually landed on the taxiway]

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...axiway-336663/

And with Alaska in 2015:

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/...or-runway.html
Don't forget AC in 2003 lined up to the runway in Vernon.

Of course this is an attention grabbing headline. I'm not sure if physics would allow for a collision with all 5 a/c that would have killed more people than Tenerife.

As for what happened.
The AC pilot suspected something wasn't right, the UA pilot and the controller knew something wasn't right. Appropriate action was taken.
An investigation will take place.
The runways and taxiways at SFO, like SEA are close together. This increases the chance of error. We don't know if localizer guidance was functioning that night.
Stuff like this happens a lot more than you nervous armchair investigators think. Unless you've sat in a cockpit on a dark night going into an airport full of bright lights, you may not fully appreciate what's happening.
One of the first rules of flying, don't land on a blue runway.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
I feel like this should never happen in 2017...

It is always in the back of my mind when taxiing on the runway that we will be hit by a landing aircraft. Glad that it's a real fear
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:42 pm

If it makes you feel better, at major airports, runways aren't often used for taxiing on.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by tracon
If it makes you feel better, at major airports, runways aren't often used for taxiing on.
Thanks .. but are most fears even rational?;-) ... my other anxiety is that the tail of the airplane will hit the ground when the plane is just getting off the ground, don't even know why or where this came from.. I easily fly 100k miles a year and have the dumbest fears when flying.

I am glad the pilot came to his senses and everything ended just fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.