Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada treats Star Alliance Gold Member unfairly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada treats Star Alliance Gold Member unfairly

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
To the OP: being Asian has nothing to do with the denial of entry. Being a solo 17 year old traveler has everything to do with your exclusion from the lounge.

Buckle up, there are bound to be a lot more perceived inequities in life to come.

To certain others: if being asked if you are in the correct line, or having your BP checked more than once is the worst thing that occurs on your journey, be thankful the staff are doing their job. It's not even worth a post, never mind a rant.
My issue is not "Sir, are you Super Elite?"

It's "That line is for BUSINESS CLASS passengers"
And "Are you using your dad's Aeroplan number?"

I'm fine with being asked reasonable questions. I'm not fine with attitude or stupid questions.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow

I'm fine with being asked reasonable questions. I'm not fine with attitude or stupid questions.
I get that. On my weaker days, I'd likely consider a snappy reply to such questions. But the lingering effects of such an exchange would last mere seconds, and I wouldn't ever consider wasting the time it would take to log on and write it up on a public message board.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE

To the first statement, I'd respond with "Oh, thanks. Good to know I'm in the right line then." Although I get that more from other passengers than from AC staff. It is usually "Are you travelling in Business Class" from AC staff who are guarding the lines.

I've never been asked the 2nd question though... it's always been "Wow, you're so young for a Super Elite!"
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
So the OP question is not about AC treating Star Gold pax unfairly bu treating young passengers unfairly. Apparently i don't look like I belong in the SE line either so I need to smarten up.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I think we are verging close to repeating the whole same conversation that has been had to death in the thread linked by 24L in post 36.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I trust that the OP now understands that the behaviour of the AC personnel was not unfair nor unjust, but was instead a requirement imposed by the liquor control regulations.

To those who are butt hurt because AC personnel screen the checkin lines, get a grip. They do that because customers whinge and complain when the common folk make the mistake of using the wrong check in area. These are the same pax who are in a tizzy when a little kid makes the mistake of wandering up to business to look around.
I too have been asked if I am in business class. The last time it happened, I said, oh thank you, I was worried that I had made a mistake and was in the group tour checkin as it's a bit crowded and not particularly welcoming. I was so proud of myself as I had practiced that line over two years, just waiting to be asked again. Unfortunately, the AC flunkie didn't quite comprehend, and just gave me the infamous AC blank stare. I was rather disappointed that my zinger had fallen flat.

The OP really should not play the race card here, particularly when Asia is a region where discrimination is a way of life. One thing Air Canada is not, is prejudiced. The company not only practices diversity in its hiring but trains its employees on cultural sensitivities. Individual personnel might do or say something stupid, but that is not the company's fault. If one wants to know what discrimination is, just ask some of the Africans how well they are treated in China, or Burmese in Thailand, or ethnic Chinese in Malaysia etc. It puts a perceived slight at the airport in perspective.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
The OP really should not play the race card here, particularly when Asia is a region where discrimination is a way of life. One thing Air Canada is not, is prejudiced. The company not only practices diversity in its hiring but trains its employees on cultural sensitivities. Individual personnel might do or say something stupid, but that is not the company's fault. If one wants to know what discrimination is, just ask some of the Africans how well they are treated in China, or Burmese in Thailand, or ethnic Chinese in Malaysia etc. It puts a perceived slight at the airport in perspective.
I'm not sure I agree. They may not be racist, but prejudiced? Sure.

I can think of two instances where they really went over the top. @expert7700 was there for one instance. 8yroldsuperelite was one of the recipients.

Very blatant "I'm going to welcome the old SEs, but not the young ones".
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: EVA Gold
DYKWIA didnt even know this was a thing...

Honestly i was just angered that i wasnt allowed in into the lounge and yeah i know its the law but shouldnt they have at least some sort of plan for people like me ?? Isnt part of the star alliance gold experience getting to use the lounge. I really wish AC can come up with something that can solve this problem, and I have emailed AC for this and still waiting response.

As for the DYKWIA , yeah I think i do have that, but i still dont know how that is related. Because i fly once everyweek from YVR to TPE, and the staff members treat me so well! So when I fly AC, it is a completely different experience for me. Obviously I dont think that the AC staff is racist or anything, but i do think they are somewhat bias.

Yeah i didnt know about this forum until recently.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:59 am

Johnny, some of the lounges don't let kids in, and my kid has status, what does that mean? Oh, right, there's rules, policies and procedures in place. When you grow up you'll find many more. They are a part of life and you'll have to get used to them.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:03 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium

Fly with another Airline. AC is following the LAW. What don't you understand ??
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:04 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
For Johnny
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
To the first statement, I'd respond with "Oh, thanks. Good to know I'm in the right line then." Although I get that more from other passengers than from AC staff. It is usually "Are you travelling in Business Class" from AC staff who are guarding the lines.

"
What airports do AC staff "guard" the SE line, beside Asian airports. I know AC staff asks a lot of pax is they are fly business class in HK and SHanghai of all ages. I don't get upset, I just say YES. BTW, both CX and LH ask the same question.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
What airports do AC staff "guard" the SE line, beside Asian airports. I know AC staff asks a lot of pax is they are fly business class in HK and SHanghai of all ages. I don't get upset, I just say YES. BTW, both CX and LH ask the same question.
They do it on occasion at YYZ. But like you, IME, AC staff ask everyone if they're flying in business class or are SE. It's the passengers who are all worked up about protecting the line from those that look like they don't belong.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
This is a problem we have all created. Don't blame AC on this, blame ourselves. Its down to the frequent flyer junkies.

We want J seats. We want the shorter lines. We want access to the MLL. We also don't want the plebs self upgrading, gumming up the lines or taking up space in the MLL.

Heck, there were some people on here who were legitimately upset that a grandmother brought a 4 year old child to the J bathroom from steerage,... I mean economy class.

I don't blame AC one bit for asking multiple times.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by The smallest state
This is a problem we have all created. Don't blame AC on this, blame ourselves. Its down to the frequent flyer junkies.

We want J seats. We want the shorter lines. We want access to the MLL. We also don't want the plebs self upgrading, gumming up the lines or taking up space in the MLL.

Heck, there were some people on here who were legitimately upset that a grandmother brought a 4 year old child to the J bathroom from steerage,... I mean economy class.

I don't blame AC one bit for asking multiple times.
To canadiancow's point - asking isn't the problem. It is selectively asking, and using a statement instead of asking. Stating "this line is for business class only" implies that the agent thinks you're not travelling in business class or you are not entitled to the privileges of that line.

If they asked everyone entering the line, no problem with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.