Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada treats Star Alliance Gold Member unfairly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada treats Star Alliance Gold Member unfairly

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Not often we get to watch a DYKWIA-in-training!
I agree.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yeunganson
Welcome to Flyertalk johnny4508!

It's not Air Canada's fault. It's what BC people want the drinking age to be at Age of Majority - ie 19. The place to express this frustration is with your MLA if you're a citizen. If you're not a citizen, keep following our laws.
But the age of Majority in Canada is 18, including BC. Liquor laws do not follow Canada's age of Majority laws.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zeer0
I would imagine the Frankfurt MLL is 16, since that's the alcohol age law in Germany.
Beer/wine only. I believe liquor is 18.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Well Boo Hoo-Hoo.

I was flying first Class once and the check-in agent gave me a doubtful look as if I clearly had wandered into the wrong part of the airport...you know, where the elites congregate.

Should I have started a whole rant on in it and perhaps filed a human rights complaint? Who gives them the right to make judgment calls on my less than GQ/ Beau Brumell visage?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by RZR
So, you want to feel "superior" then for flying up front, correct?
Nope, I just want a smooth experience where I don't have to tell six employees between checkin and sitting in my seat that I'm in J. Air Canada markets it as "Seamless Travel". Getting asked by the priority line dragon to explain your status/fare class, after which the checkin agent yells out to check before they call you, then the GA asks if you're really Zone 1 before calling you, then again being asked on the jet bridge if you're in J is not seamless travel, IMO, considering the checkin agent, gate agent, and FA are all your checking boarding pass and AC could hold off yelling over to me before I hand the BP over. 3 checks (check-in, gate, FA) become 7 times you need to prove J.

Somehow I can fly 10 airlines in J and F this year and only get this systematically with AC.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Apparently our young OP missed various posts in other threads by the Cow and his frequent experiences at being in the "wrong" line (and the sad accusations of using his dad's Aeroplan account)

OP also missed this. Being a young, Asian male does not put you in any better or worse position with treatment by some AC employees.

How Can AC employees tell that you have Altitude Status? ...

How Can AC employees tell that you have Altitude Status?

This happened again to me recently one morning while walking up to the SE check-in for U.S. departures at YYZ. As I approached, the AC employee at the entrance to the line said "This line is for SEs".

While is may be amusing to suggest that the young OP may be a DYKWIA-in-Training, I would suggest that he was likely not familiar or aware of the liquor laws in B.C. (or other parts of Canada) and perhaps given prior experiences elsewhere, had an expectation things would be fine.

If he ever re-appears (and isn't a drive-by poster), maybe he can clarify.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by smallmj
(2) Some AC staff having bad attitudes towards young looking travellers. They try to deny other benefits (priority boarding, free checked bags) without bothering to check status or ticket class. Others have posted about similar problems (was cow one of them? ). This is a real problem, and is definitely worth a rant.
Yes.

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
Nope, I just want a smooth experience where I don't have to tell six employees between checkin and sitting in my seat that I'm in J. Air Canada markets it as "Seamless Travel". Getting asked by the priority line dragon to explain your status/fare class, after which the checkin agent yells out to check before they call you, then the GA asks if you're really Zone 1 before calling you, then again being asked on the jet bridge if you're in J is not seamless travel, IMO, considering the checkin agent, gate agent, and FA are all your checking boarding pass and AC could hold off yelling over to me before I hand the BP over. 3 checks (check-in, gate, FA) become 7 times you need to prove J.
Yes.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
The thread title is misleading. AC's refusal to allow entry into the lounge has nothing to do with ageism but rather our liquor laws.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:02 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Nazdoom

Somehow I can fly 10 airlines in J and F this year and only get this systematically with AC.
Was it really that difficult to simply “say” yes six times???? Seems that’s all you would have to do to avoid this rant

The reason you are ranting is because you feel “ how on earth would someone think I would not be in the proper class of service”
You think you are “All That” because you fly a bit.

You are new flyer, only 5 years , whatever your age is irrelevant. You have DYKWIA itis. A disease that begins to taper off slowly after atleast 12 years of flying.

You are the one with the issue , not AC

Last edited by tcook052; Jun 22, 2017 at 3:35 pm Reason: personal invective
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Not often we get to watch a DYKWIA-in-training!
Isn't the definition of DYKWIA "17YO"? All of mine went throught that phase.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Sometime it's just easier for a younger adult to dress more formally. I'm not defending ageism but I would suggest picking one's battles wisely.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
DYKWIA? My SE Luggage tag is from 2012... What do you mean I can't board in Zone 1 and come into the lounge for free? What do you mean I can't sit in that empty J seat? Bloody ungrateful AC expecting me to pay for a seat!!!!

How dare they insist that I have earned SE this last year for me to use my rightful earned years ago privilidges!!

(LOL)
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by RZR
Was it really that difficult to simply “say” yes six times????
4 times unnecessarily per segment * 60 segment this year = 240 times. If needing to do something 240 extra times each year because of my age doesn't count as a valid annoyance and frustration with purported "seamless travel", then... It is a fair use of this forum to rant about annoyances, whether they be lack of button holes or lack of kit kats.

Originally Posted by RZR
Was it really that difficult to simply “say” yes six times???? Seems that’s all you would have to do to avoid this rant

The reason you are ranting is because you feel “ how on earth would someone think I would not be in the proper class of service”
You think you are “All That” because you fly a bit. I guess it’s normal for you , you made a point of saying you flew 40k in 5 weeks ore something.

You are new flyer, only 5 years , whatever your age is irrelevant. You have DYKWIA itis. A disease that begins to taper off slowly after atleast 12 years of flying.

You are the one with the issue , not AC
You call it "DYKWIA itis" because I commented on my experience in a thread about differential treatment of pax by AC based on age. From this thread, through OP and cow, we have found that this problem is not just unique to us (this forum is for discussing AC matters right?). The most pressing problem that begs a solution is the hostility of bitter people who attack posters on this forum.

Last edited by tcook052; Jun 22, 2017 at 3:34 pm Reason: personal invective
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Let's end this discussion about others and get back to the thread topic. And should anyone have an issue with a particular post or poster they are reminded the proper procedure is to contact a forum moderator rather than respond:

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#reporting

When you believe someone has violated the rules of FlyerTalk, DO NOT respond by posting in a thread. Instead, report the post to a Moderator, either by Private Message, or by sending a note by clicking on the "Alert a Moderator to this Post" icon, which appears in the lower-left-hand-corner of each post. Then, please leave the issue to the moderator team to handle — do not post your concern in the thread.

tcook052
AC foum Mod.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
To the OP: being Asian has nothing to do with the denial of entry. Being a solo 17 year old traveler has everything to do with your exclusion from the lounge.

Buckle up, there are bound to be a lot more perceived inequities in life to come.

To certain others: if being asked if you are in the correct line, or having your BP checked more than once is the worst thing that occurs on your journey, be thankful the staff are doing their job. It's not even worth a post, never mind a rant.

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I knew I was an early developer. I had my wisea$$ moments with my own father at age 16. What a little so-and-so I must have been at that age.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.