Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada treats Star Alliance Gold Member unfairly

Air Canada treats Star Alliance Gold Member unfairly

Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
Originally Posted by johnny4508
Hey thanks for everyone's input on this.

Im just deeply disappointed overall with how Air Canada treats me. I've flown on many airlines throughout the world, but within canada i only fly air canada due to the star alliance relation. Maybe its just me not being used to how they treat people. Everytime at the airport check in counter they always tell me to go line up at the economy class check in and they think im in the wrong line. Im fine with being asked once, but its EVERYTIME ! Ive even asked a friend to come with just to show her how they treat me!
It could just be me though? Because im not a suited up business men?

As for the lounge, the person at the counter was on the phone while checking me in to the lounge, she didnt even bother hanging up her phone to tell me whats going on. She just asked for my ID and told me i couldnt come in, it wasnt until i went back later to talk to the other guy that he explained to me. What really upsets me is I spend tremendous amounts of money to fly , and yet just because im not old enough i cant use the perks of my status ?? I would think AC would come up with some type of compensation for this. Obviously they have to obey the laws, but what am i suppose to do? Not being able to enjoy the lounge for another year or so ? Its frustrating that this has never happened to me before, maybe because they didnt need to ID me because they think im old enough, but the only time they do ID me, they treated me very poorly.
Johnny, congrats on your frequent flying and welcome to the Air Canada board. I think you're seeing a clash of several factors. In writing this I'm recklessly making assumptions based on your stated EVA Air affiliation.

First, ageism is alive and well around the world. In various parts of the world, there are formal age-related regulations, which are adhered to with different levels of rigour. Unfortunately, Canada tends to institutionally take drinking age limits inflexibly seriously; an Air Canada superelite internationally renowned musical soloist who used to be a regular on Flyertalk routinely had the same trouble as you, not being allowed into the lounge (at times of day liquor is served) even if he had no interest whatsoever of partaking of it. Unfortunately, ageism doesn't stop with overzealous rules, and doesn't know geographical boundaries. I lived for 2 years in Singapore, and felt as conscious if not more of age-related resistance trying to advise (as a consultant) executives 20 years my senior there than I have in North America.

Second, there are important cultural differences in how respect is accorded and face preserved/lost. Air Canada (and United) staff are often particularly brusque in how they "treat" customers, while in some Asian airlines in particular airport and flight staff will speak deferentially and with a smile even as they tell you to get lost. With my cultural baggage, I may or may not respond to an AC/UA "dragon" equally brusquely, but I forget it a minute later and don't feel it reflects on me; meanwhile, it feels eerily weird when a SQ flight attendant obsequiously crouches to my eye level to apologetically ask me to fasten my seatbelt that I've cluelessly forgotten. I expect if I grew up or lived longer in Asia, the latter would feel normal, while I might feel quite put out by the former, feeling personally slighted.

Meanwhile, I don't know what to suggest on lounge entry/liquor laws. But on ageism and check-in lines, I'd suggest (if you aren't doing so already) having your *Gold luggage tag on your carry-on bag, and if "challenged" to go to the non-priority line anyway (the staff may not be able to eagle-eye see the *Gold logo and be aware of colour distinctions on *A cards), just serenely say "I'm *Gold" and you'll probably get anywhere from a grunt to a Canadian "I'm sorry" in response as you go about your business. You may well get queried more often due to your age, but even in my 40s I've been challenged (wearing faded jeans and a hiking shirt as opposed to suit or business-casual).

Last edited by montrealer; Jun 22, 2017 at 7:32 am
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
OP - first of all, welcome to FT!

To your point about being told that the economy check-in line is over there... Agents have never been that rude to me, although I don't doubt your story. In fact, over-entitled passengers have been worse. I politely tell the agents that I'm *G/Elite/Business Class/etc. and they let me go on without any trouble. Sometimes, they'll even offer up an apology. I've seen them mostly ask your status/class of travel before you get in line, which is fine with me since they are enforcing the priority line.

As for the nosy over entitled passengers, I thank them for letting me know that I'm in the correct line.

I find age-ism and class-ism a lot worse in Asia. You definitely need to be dressed or look the part in order to stand in the first/business/*G lines. I've had agents question me and not an older person, even if the older person is the one actually in the wrong line.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
OP - as far as MLL access is concerned, you are underage and AC cannot let you in. Your issue is with the relevant provincial liquor laws, not AC which owes you no compensation whatsoever.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by eigenvector
... you will not be able to use the lounge until you reach 19...
18 in Quebec and probably some overseas lounges. 21 in the USA
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by johnny4508
Maybe its just me not being used to how they treat people. Everytime at the airport check in counter they always tell me to go line up at the economy class check in and they think im in the wrong line. Im fine with being asked once, but its EVERYTIME ! Ive even asked a friend to
Not often we get to watch a DYKWIA-in-training!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:08 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Welcome to Flyertalk johnny4508!

It's not Air Canada's fault. If you were boarding in BC, the legal drinking age is 19. Air Canada's Lounge serve alcohol so it's perfectly necessary to prevent underage drinking. If Maple Leaf lounge start allowing underage people in and these underage people start drinking, I absolutely support the BC government in shutting the place down.

There are lots of social problems with alcoholism and underage drinking especially for different ethnic groups in BC. We East Asians have genetic problem of "the Asian Flush" that automatically exclude 30-50% population from drinking alcohol by making it extremely unpleasant. But most other ethnicity do not have this natural deterrent and some have genetic disposition to make easier to be addicted to that stuff..

It's not Air Canada's fault. It's what BC people want the drinking age to be at Age of Majority - ie 19. The place to express this frustration is with your MLA if you're a citizen. If you're not a citizen, keep following our laws.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Why did it take so long to complain here?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Geoflying
18 in Quebec and probably some overseas lounges. 21 in the USA
I would imagine the Frankfurt MLL is 16, since that's the alcohol age law in Germany.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:33 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
You got that right!
Rules are rules. You don't have to like them. The poster is funny.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
OP - first of all, welcome to FT!

To your point about being told that the economy check-in line is over there... Agents have never been that rude to me, although I don't doubt your story. In fact, over-entitled passengers have been worse. I politely tell the agents that I'm *G/Elite/Business Class/etc. and they let me go on without any trouble. Sometimes, they'll even offer up an apology. I've seen them mostly ask your status/class of travel before you get in line, which is fine with me since they are enforcing the priority line.

As for the nosy over entitled passengers, I thank them for letting me know that I'm in the correct line.

I find age-ism and class-ism a lot worse in Asia. You definitely need to be dressed or look the part in order to stand in the first/business/*G lines. I've had agents question me and not an older person, even if the older person is the one actually in the wrong line.
As a young guy, my experience has been similar to OP's whereby there are more pre-conceptions that I'm flying Y / statusless when in NA versus Asia due to how I look. Granted, like OP, I don't dress to impress when flying (I flew 40k+ miles in the last 5 weeks, who wants to sit in overheated *A cabins in Asia in a blazer?). But in Asia, OZ, CX, SQ, JL, and TK have never wanted to confirm I'm in the right line, while AC will give me funny looks when I'm in the J line and confirm I know where I am. I haven't flown Y in two years. One of the YVR priority checkin agents went as far as to ask me for a credit card, and when I asked why, she said I needed to pay for my 2 bags because I don't have status. I had to point out I was flying J. On my last AC flight during two door boarding they had an agent guarding the J jetbridge who asked me if I was in J but didn't bother asking my statusless father straggling behind me (guess who bought his J ticket).

It's annoying, it does make you feel at times inferior to other pax when they aren't asked, so I understand OP's frustration and desire to vent. With that said, it's not actionable and it's not something I'd lose sleep over. I'd file it under AC staff not seeing a lot of young people with status / flying J and not some latent hatred of young people. OTOH, Asian carriers don't bat an eye at young folk flying F.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by zeer0
I would imagine the Frankfurt MLL is 16, since that's the alcohol age law in Germany.
Not exactly...

At 14 - minors are allowed to consume and possess undistilled (fermented) alcoholic beverages, such as beer and wine, as long as they are in the company by a Custodial Person. ( 9 JuSchG (2) Sub-Clause 1, No. 2)
At 17 - minors are allowed to consume and possess undistilled (fermented) alcoholic beverages, such as beer and wine without their parents or a Custodian. ( 9 JuSchG (1) 2.)
At 18 - having become adults, people are allowed access to distilled spirits, beverages containing distilled spirits, and food products containing non-negligible amounts of distilled spirits. ( 9 JuSchG (1) 1.)
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
I'm glad someone finally set it

With respect to the OP, one can assume his demeanour probably had a very entitled DYKWIA slant to it.

Regardless where you have been in the world, the law is there, AC cannot bend it for *you* because you are a Star Gold.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jlisi984
So funny that this comes up once in a while. I've been an AC SE for many years, including when I was underage. YVR was always the most problematic. I had a concierge come in and waste time sitting with me when I wanted to use it.....
Brilliant. This belongs in the what can AC concierge do for you thread!

My 8yr old SE should access the lounge himself sometime and phone the concierge to accompany him.

At that rate, why not book a flight by himself and checkin without needing to buy unaccompanied minor service (concierge can always just fly with him too!)
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:21 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
As a young guy, my experience has been similar to OP's whereby there are more pre-conceptions that I'm flying Y / statusless when in NA versus Asia due to how I look. Granted, like OP, I don't dress to impress when flying (I flew 40k+ miles in the last 5 weeks, who wants to sit in overheated *A cabins in Asia in a blazer?). But in Asia, OZ, CX, SQ, JL, and TK have never wanted to confirm I'm in the right line, while AC will give me funny looks when I'm in the J line and confirm I know where I am. I haven't flown Y in two years. One of the YVR priority checkin agents went as far as to ask me for a credit card, and when I asked why, she said I needed to pay for my 2 bags because I don't have status. I had to point out I was flying J. On my last AC flight during two door boarding they had an agent guarding the J jetbridge who asked me if I was in J but didn't bother asking my statusless father straggling behind me (guess who bought his J ticket).

It's annoying, it does make you feel at times inferior to other pax when they aren't asked, so I understand OP's frustration and desire to vent. With that said, it's not actionable and it's not something I'd lose sleep over. I'd file it under AC staff not seeing a lot of young people with status / flying J and not some latent hatred of young people. OTOH, Asian carriers don't bat an eye at young folk flying F.
So, you want to feel "superior" then for flying up front, correct?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan
The way I read this there are two issues here.

(1) Not allowing under 19 into MLL unaccompanied. Legit legal reasons for that. They were probably right to deny entry, though the way they did it may not have been proper or respectful.

which leads into

(2) Some AC staff having bad attitudes towards young looking travellers. They try to deny other benefits (priority boarding, free checked bags) without bothering to check status or ticket class. Others have posted about similar problems (was cow one of them? ). This is a real problem, and is definitely worth a rant.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.