Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2017 skytrax places AC back at #1 in N.A.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Silver

I'm sure there will be no controversy on FT though as there is a poll to reflect every range of love and hate. Feel free to agree with the one that reflects your opinion.

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2017...Paris-Air-Show
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Rouge has also risen from #131 to #99

Go Rouge!

Also,
AIRLINE PROMOTION
Airlines were able to invite customers to participate in the survey on a strictly voluntary basis

Did AC send out "invitations"?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:25 am
Original Poster

I can just imagine "Rouge is 99" becoming part of the welcome aboard message on the flights!

I'm sure we will have to listen to "#1" on all mainline flights now for the next year.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
A sad commentary on the state of the airline industry that the 29th ranked airline globally is #1 in North America.
Symmetre and craig44485 like this.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: AC SE100*1MM; Spire Ambassador
I congratulate Air Canada for recapturing NAM's best airline title...they are making effort, and whether or every single trip you take gives you all pleasant experience, overall, I'd like to see AC has been making effort.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:39 am

still not sure if this thread is trolling or real.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:40 am

https://www.tnooz.com/article/uk-regulator-upholds-complaint-against-airline-review-site-skytrax/

Vote early and vote often.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quantumofforce
still not sure if this thread is trolling or real.
Why would reporting the results from skytrax be trolling? I've actually been enjoying a lot of my mainline flights over the last 6 months and have noticed some service improvements. I also expect some will say the opposite as service is still hit and miss and it is absolutely possible to have bad flights. I've really had some great SD's this year though.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by djkyyc
Why would reporting the results from skytrax be trolling? I've actually been enjoying a lot of my mainline flights over the last 6 months and have noticed some service improvements. I also expect some will say the opposite as service is still hit and miss and it is absolutely possible to have bad flights. I've really had some great SD's this year though.
The reason I think it is trolling is I live in Asia which is chalk full of much better Airlines. When I am back home in Canada it is embarrassing sometimes to see how poor their service is, especially on the ground.
craig44485 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
The reason I think it is trolling is I live in Asia which is chalk full of much better Airlines. When I am back home in Canada it is embarrassing sometimes to see how poor their service is, especially on the ground.
That's a good point. I have seen an improvement in AC's flight staff, the ground though...........not so much. You still run into the one or two or three dragons who seem to be nearly catatonic in their robotic mannerisms of rudeness.

The phone staff really is hit or miss.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: TK *G
Air Asia is at #26 . So the number ONE in NA does not beat an LCC in Asia.

Or should we take these rankings seriously?
craig44485 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
I think the reason that Air Canada is the number one rated airline in North America is down to one thing only. Canadians are voting for AC in a patriotic stance. It's the only thing that makes sense.

Alaska
JetBlue
are two North American airlines that are miles ahead of AC when it comes to ..........well, everything.

Notwithstanding patriotic votes, the fact that any Asian carrier can hammer any North American carrier is proof that there is some proof in the rankings.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
To clear things up, here is a quote for OMAAT:

(bolding mine)

How are Skytrax winners decided?

I disagree with a lot of the results, though I respect the methodology that Skytrax uses for determining the winners. The winners are based solely on public voting, with votes from nearly 20 million people from 105 countries being counted. The voting took place between August 2016 and May 2017.

Airlines were allowed to promote voting, so I suspect there’s a high correlation between the airlines that tried to “get out the vote,” and those that actually won.

To account for the different sizes of airlines, they also take a weighted approach to the results:......

At the end of the day this is a marketing opportunity for airlines, rather than an actual comparative analysis of which airline is the best in each category. People vote based on what they like, with no requirement to actually have experienced any number of products. Don’t get me wrong, that’s fine, ultimately this is a popularity contest, but I think it’s important to recognize it as such.

There’s a difference between someone saying “I liked Qatar Airways business class,” and saying I’ve flown a bunch of business class products and think Qatar Airways has the best.” So perhaps more accurately these awards should be for the title of “the world’s favorite” rather than “the world’s best.”

June 20, 2017

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...e-of-the-year/
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by The smallest state
I think the reason that Air Canada is the number one rated airline in North America is down to one thing only. Canadians are voting for AC in a patriotic stance. It's the only thing that makes sense.

Alaska
JetBlue
are two North American airlines that are miles ahead of AC when it comes to ..........well, everything.

Notwithstanding patriotic votes, the fact that any Asian carrier can hammer any North American carrier is proof that there is some proof in the rankings.
Nice theory, but it has no basis in science. The Canadian population is 1/10 the size of the U.S. Even if every single Canadian voted for AC over every U.S. Airlines (which is not the case), the U.S. airlines would still garner more votes unless a large contingent of Americans voted for AC. Of course, this assumes relatively equal voter participation.

In any event I don't agree with your assessment (but to each their own). I fly a lot of different NA airlines and I would rank AC at or near the top in most categories. Service levels pale in comparison to international carriers, but that is a different story.

SG
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Snow Goose
In any event I don't agree with your assessment (but to each their own). I fly a lot of different NA airlines and I would rank AC at or near the top in most categories. Service levels pale in comparison to international carriers, but that is a different story.

SG
The only US airlines that I can see AC beating are Spirit, Allegiant, UA and AA (high bar there) I cant imagine them beating Delta, JetBlue, Alakas or Virgin at anything

Its very suspicious that SkyTrax always has different results than every single other customer satisfaction poll put out there.

If Rouge ends up getting anything more than a 2* rating today, that will further disprove any credibility in SkyTrax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.