FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Flying ROUGE as *A Gold (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1849028-flying-rouge-gold.html)

skyteamelite Jun 19, 2017 12:27 pm

Flying ROUGE as *A Gold

I've purchased an AC flight from SJO to YYZ in economy cabin. Had to purchase a Rouge-operated flight as no other direct options were available.

I understand that, as Star Alliance Gold (I'll be using my CM frequent flyer), I'll get lounge access and one free checked bag. Any other perks I can hope to get?

I assume that I will not be eligible for complimentary upgrades. However, will I be able to select a preferred seat within the economy cabin free of charge?

jc94 Jun 19, 2017 12:52 pm

Priority checkin, security, baggage and boarding as Zone 2.

I think you'd need to pay for preferred seating. I would personally recommend this if your budget allows. Rouge Y without extra leg room is very unpleasant unless you are very small.

AC doesn't do complimentary upgrades unless they run out of space. As a CM *G you have very little chance of an operational upgrade. You could bid or will be offered an LMU if space is available.

IluvSQ Jun 19, 2017 1:02 pm

Star Gold do not get preferred seats for free, that is not *A Gold benefit.

flybit Jun 19, 2017 1:07 pm

FREE 24 hour cancellation

Its not to late to cancel, take a connection, ROUGE is horrible and be aware you will not get 100% qualifying miles.

jc94 Jun 19, 2017 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by flybit (Post 28462008)
Its not to late to cancel, take a connection, ROUGE is horrible and be aware you will not get 100% qualifying miles.

You will if booked in Flex :confused:

rankourabu Jun 19, 2017 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by flybit (Post 28462008)

Correct, if crediting to Copa W, G , S, T, L, A, K earn 50%

I agree, cancel rouge, go for the Avianca direct flight (same plane stop for 45 mins in SAL) or fly Copa.

canadiancow Jun 19, 2017 2:13 pm

You'll get 3 free bags, not 1.

skyteamelite Jun 20, 2017 9:27 am

Thanks for your advice.

I'm flying back on AV via SAL. However on outbound flight AV times are not convenient, and price is almost double. I'd rather use that money to upgrade to premium cabin on the Rouge direct flight.

What's clear is that I'm not going to sit in a standard standard economy seat. Now wondering whether I should invest USD 40-50 for a preferred economy seat or bid for a USD 200 upgrade to premium cabin. Any thoughts?

The smallest state Jun 20, 2017 9:43 am

I would really avoid Rouge. While the seat tightness and uniforms of the FA's do have some entertainment value (Google "Rob Lowe Air Canada Rouge"), the experience is rarely a positive one.

djkyyc Jun 20, 2017 9:44 am

Originally Posted by skyteamelite (Post 28465491)
Thanks for your advice.

I'm flying back on AV via SAL. However on outbound flight AV times are not convenient, and price is almost double. I'd rather use that money to upgrade to premium cabin on the Rouge direct flight.

What's clear is that I'm not going to sit in a standard standard economy seat. Now wondering whether I should invest USD 40-50 for a preferred economy seat or bid for a USD 200 upgrade to premium cabin. Any thoughts?

Both.

If you don't win the upgrade bid you are still sitting in preferred seating.

If you do win the upgrade bid and get moved up front then you will be refunded your preferred seating fee.

jc94 Jun 20, 2017 11:30 am

Originally Posted by djkyyc (Post 28465566)
Both.

If you do win the upgrade bid and get moved up front then you will be refunded your preferred seating fee.

And there's still potential for an LMU. Do everything you can afford to avoid sitting in standard Rouge Y. Just bear in mind that both of these options with AC result in you getting originally listed miles (unlike some other airlines).

skyteamelite Jun 20, 2017 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by djkyyc (Post 28465566)
Both.

Didn't know I'd be refunded the preferred seating fee in that case. That's great news.

Do you know if preferred seating fees remain the same whether purchased ahead of online check-in, during online check-in or at the airport?

djkyyc Jun 20, 2017 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by skyteamelite (Post 28466478)
Do you know if preferred seating fees remain the same whether purchased ahead of online check-in, during online check-in or at the airport?

Remains the same.

jc94 Jun 20, 2017 5:08 pm

Does winning a bid auto refund the preferred seat like an eUp or does one have to write in?

djkyyc Jun 20, 2017 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by jc94 (Post 28467430)
Does winning a bid auto refund the preferred seat like an eUp or does one have to write in?

Probably a good question for the bid thread. I have no idea, I've never bid on an upgrade.