Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC 136 YYC-YYZ today (19Mar18) delayed due to "crew refusal"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat

Oh goody, fin 505 rears its head again. AC 136 YYC-YYZ today. At least they didn't let us board. Not really sure what the remarks below mean, but I'm not overly optimistic as they keep pushing departure time back.
Comments:
AC0136/19MAR EQU ACA7M8A01
CTY TML ARR DEP GRND AIR CABINS J Y
YYC - 0800 - 03.41
YYZ 1341 TOTAL TIME YYCYYZ 3.41
RMKS/DLYD BOARDING DUE CREW REFUSAL ON ACCT FIN505 MTC FLT DECK
DOOR ISSUE
YYC 1115 03:15L YYZ 1659 03:18L 7M8 ED EA
DEP TML GATE --/C52
ARR TML T1 GATE --/-----
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by PB53x11
Oh goody, fin 505 rears its head again. AC 136 YYC-YYZ today. At least they didn't let us board. Not really sure what the remarks below mean, but I'm not overly optimistic as they keep pushing departure time back.
Comments:
AC0136/19MAR EQU ACA7M8A01
CTY TML ARR DEP GRND AIR CABINS J Y
YYC - 0800 - 03.41
YYZ 1341 TOTAL TIME YYCYYZ 3.41
RMKS/DLYD BOARDING DUE CREW REFUSAL ON ACCT FIN505 MTC FLT DECK
DOOR ISSUE

YYC 1115 03:15L YYZ 1659 03:18L 7M8 ED EA
DEP TML GATE --/C52
ARR TML T1 GATE --/-----
Delayed boarding due to crew refusal on account FIN505 maintenance flight deck door issue - seems pretty clear to me.

What more are you expecting?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jaysona
Delayed boarding due to crew refusal on account FIN505 maintenance flight deck door issue - seems pretty clear to me.

What more are you expecting?
So I don't recall seeing "crew refusal" before, why would they add that? Maybe it's common and I've just never noticed it.

I guess I don't expect them to tell more detail on the door (what, did the pilots get locked out?). And I guess it's the world we're in that if it's an inability to lock it (for instance) we have to be paranoid enough to not allow the plane to fly because something bad is highly likely to happen.

Just delayed to 11:45.
unsatisfied likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: AC SE MM, IHG Diamond, National Exec Elite
So I don't recall seeing "crew refusal" before, why would they add that? Maybe it's common and I've just never noticed it.

I guess I don't expect them to tell more detail on the door (what, did the pilots get locked out?). And I guess it's the world we're in that if it's an inability to lock it (for instance) we have to be paranoid enough to not allow the plane to fly because something bad is highly likely to happen.

Just delayed to 11:45.
I too was suppose to be on that flight and connecting to Chicago and then on to Wichita. I am now routed through IAH. My original booking was all business class. There is no business class from IAH to ICT, so United threw me in the back and wont give me a plus seat without $29. YYC concierge tried to get them to give in, but no luck. I have not had great luck with the new aircraft yet. Multiple delays/cancellations due to maintenance issues.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Please note these posts have been moved into their own thread to allow this discussion to continue.

tcook052
AC forum mod.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Boarding now. Per captain: Lock wasn't working. They were actually trying to get relief from Transport Canada but before that came through engineering solved the problem. So maybe the paranoia can be gotten around - but then the bureaucracy kicks in!

Maybe avoid fin 505 for a while, doesn't bad luck come in threes?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Teething pain for new aircrafts? They had a run of these with the Embraer 190 back in the day when it rolled out. Too many "Too cold, the door won't close" to count when E190 came out.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Reads to me as a passive aggressive ops guy free form typing into a REASON field somewhere. There are some standard abbreviations, but that field isn't a drop-down.

Two different set of licensed professionals getting into a pissing match and some "manager" working for his OTP bonus putting snark into the status is hardly unbelievable.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:17 pm

Nothing passive aggressive here, a flight crew "refusing" an aircraft is just a concise way of stating that they believe it is unsafe (or not compliant) to fly.
Stranger and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jjclancy
Nothing passive aggressive here, a flight crew "refusing" an aircraft is just a concise way of stating that they believe it is unsafe (or not compliant) to fly.
But wouldn't that be true of every mechanical issue?

Why does this one specifically mention the refusal, when most other mechanical issues (where I'm sure the crew and most passengers would refuse to fly) do not?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:27 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jjclancy
I'm with cow. I've seen numerous detailed remarks about delays on EF before and never seen this.
ffsim likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:32 pm

Boarding now. Per captain: Lock wasn't working. They were actually trying to get relief from Transport Canada but before that came through engineering solved the problem. So maybe the paranoia can be gotten around - but then the bureaucracy kicks in!

Maybe avoid fin 505 for a while, doesn't bad luck come in threes?
You should have offered to be their security guard for the flight..... barricade it with all the bar carts and do a cash tikki bar up front! At least the crew will enjoy your sense of humor.....

Sorry things didnt go well with you.

I suspect the dispatcher have limited words to put in..... Can't be an essay, and ultimately the crew cannot sign off and fly the plane, therefore "Crew Refusal"
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:43 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
You should have offered to be their security guard for the flight..... barricade it with all the bar carts and do a cash tikki bar up front! At least the crew will enjoy your sense of humor.....
Better yet, food carts loaded with nothing but Barramundi. That'd keep the bad guys away.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I'm with cow. I've seen numerous detailed remarks about delays on EF before and never seen this.
Pilot forums mention the term now & again, so it's not surprising that an AC pilot would use that terminology when speaking to dispatch.
United's Summer Of Hell, Story? - Airliners.net
A320 Is Not Allowed To Fly Without APU? - Airliners.net
Question About Letting Brakes Cool - Airliners.net
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Umm, isn't a good thing when the pilot says safety first? I don't care if some think it's overkill, I just give thanks the crew said no. I like a crew that pays attention to detail. My life has value as does theirs and the other pax onboard.
princeville and closecover like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.