Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Round trip...broken into J fare and Y fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Round trip...broken into J fare and Y fare?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
When I tried booking his route on AC's website, it was actual over $700 cheaper out of YYC.
When I do YVR-BKK and YYC-BKK on AC's website (same dates), the pricing for YYC-BKK is actually way worse ($6k) because AC's website would only look at YYC-NRT direct and only gives me Z pricing. Unless I'm blind, I don't see a way to force AC's website to look at YYC-YVR-NRT. For YVR-BKK, it gives me P pricing for YVR-NRT.

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
From Expert Flyer:
Sorry I'm not countering or arguing against your findings; just that I'm most likely not finding it or searching properly. I've attached screenshots of what I'm getting in Matrix.

Attached Images     
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by seks
When I do YVR-BKK and YYC-BKK on AC's website (same dates), the pricing for YYC-BKK is actually way worse ($6k) because AC's website would only look at YYC-NRT direct and only gives me Z pricing. Unless I'm blind, I don't see a way to force AC's website to look at YYC-YVR-NRT. For YVR-BKK, it gives me P pricing for YVR-NRT.
First, why are you looking Sept dates, when you want to go in Jan? Forget using Mitrix, use AC website. AC website offers 2 routes(via NRT/HKG) out of YYC to BKK. Plus, if you phone in, you will most likely find more routes to BKK from YYC.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:30 am
Original Poster

First, why are you looking Sept dates, when you want to go in Jan? Forget using Mitrix, use AC website. AC website offers 2 routes(via NRT/HKG) out of YYC to BKK. Plus, if you phone in, you will most likely find more routes to BKK from YYC.
oh sorry...the Jan dates I gave in my first post are actually examples. 9/28 to 10/16 are my actual dates.

I did call in. That was the best I got (they were telling me $39xx for YYC-YVR-NRT-BKK all in J)
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
oh sorry...the Jan dates I gave in my first post are actually examples. 9/28 to 10/16 are my actual dates.

I did call in. That was the best I got (they were telling me $39xx for YYC-YVR-NRT-BKK all in J)
I have no idea how you are looking up flights. Off AC website J return fare from YYC to BKK is $2648 and YVR -BKK is $2637. The fare that was $700 cheaper out of YYC is now sold out.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:32 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I have no idea how you are looking up flights. Off AC website J return fare from YYC to BKK is $2648 and YVR -BKK is $2637. The fare that was $700 cheaper out of YYC is now sold out.
Perhaps you could share some screenshots, because I don't see anything close to that for the YYC departure, per screenshot below (cheapest option $6,272).

When I look at the YVR departure, I get to $3,050, not $2,637.

@seks, I think your discrepancy with ILuvSQ and D582 was the dates. That P0LXCST fare is available around Christmas/New Year's (your original dummy dates), but not the actual September/October dates you want to book.
Attached Images   
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I know I only FOTSG, so maybe I'm missing something obvious, but why wouldn't you fly TG for HKG-BKK, which entitles you to full *A benefits, etc.?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton

I'll make it simple for you: Don't worry. You did fine. The AC website charges the most expensive fares and typically sticks the customer in Y when connecting from TYO or HKG. The kind of routing you did featuring alternative carriers is not available on the AC website. It has to be called in and the fare quoted is usually more expensive than using an alternative approach. Pay no attention to the unreliable claims that you could have done better etc., because the reality based upon my last 20+ flights on the route, is that no, your experience was typical.

As for TG on the connection, all I can say is hahahahahah, and not viable for past 3 years. If you run into problems, say F.U. to *A and book the HKG -BKK on Sri Lankan or Emirates. I paid 1/2 the *A cost doing that recently. HKG is the easiest for multi ticket itineraries. Unlike in Canada, the airport operates in an efficient and professional manner with great personnel.

The best fares showing on matrix are often unbookable on this route through conventional methods. You can try flight network's engine as it sometimes offers the closest options to the matrix suggestion. I know, because this is one of my principal routes from the east.

So, relax and don't worry.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I know I only FOTSG, so maybe I'm missing something obvious, but why wouldn't you fly TG for HKG-BKK, which entitles you to full *A benefits, etc.?
Many ( all?) of AC's P fares specifically EXCLUDE TG as a connecting carrier.
When I fly an AC P fare to BKK, recently I have connected with KE in ICN,
or CZ in PVG.

If you want to connect with TG, it requires a higher fare ( maybe Z, maybe C/D).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.