Vouchers with a (big) catch

Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Unhappy Vouchers with a (big) catch

We have known for years about the problem with huge YQ on AC award tickets but I'm surprised by the experience of this couple:

http://www.travelwithkevinandruth.co...hina-this.html

They got bumped of an AC flight, they got a voucher. Good for them. But now they want to use it on a ticket to PVG, the voucher can't be used toward taxes and YQ ... on a 660$ ticket that's 460$.

I can somehow understand the YQ situation because it's between AC and Aeroplan but here we are talking about a voucher from AC redeeming on an AC ticket... You know you fixed a problem by giving people a voucher but after they realized they can't really used. After you are going to complain that people don't like you...

Last edited by matthieugd; Jun 6, 2017 at 6:03 pm
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by matthieugd
We have known for years about the problem with huge YQ on AC award tickets but I'm surprised by the experience of this couple:

http://www.travelwithkevinandruth.co...hina-this.html

They got bumped of an AC flight, they got a voucher. Good for them. But now they want to use it on a ticket to PVG, the voucher can't be used toward taxes and YQ ... on a 660$ ticket that's 460$.

I can somehow understand the YQ situation because it's between AC and Aeroplan but here we are talking about a voucher from AC redeeming on an AC ticket...
Thanks for posting the link. I reviewed the case and found that the couple's complaint to be valid. Because YQ is what is deemed "Carrier imposed surcharge" and not collected by the government or an outside agency, the voucher must be accepted. This is how other airlines operate too with their vouchers as far as I know, that the vouchers can't cover taxes but base fare + carrier surcharges are o.k. because they are really part of the fare.

If we allow AC's strict interpretation of what can or cannot be covered by one of those vouchers, then where can an average traveler expect to use a $600 voucher if a flight from Canada to China is way under that limit? The voucher itself then became a scam or misleading advertising or dealing with the public in bad faith, however you want to call it.

I don't know how else to describe this, such behavior is simply despicable. And here I thought I have seen a lot after almost 17 years on FT.

The bottom line is this is an unethical company who believes it can get away with a lot of things because most people won't complain or won't bother with the hassle. The best course of action here is to take AC to Court over the unreasonable restrictions on these vouchers designed to undermine their stated value. Since this can potentially affect a lot of people, hundred or thousands of travellers each year, AC should not be allowed to scam people with these quasi useless vouchers worth far less than the stated value. I believe this has potential as a class action lawsuit.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Guava
Thanks for posting the link. I reviewed the case and found that the couple's complaint to be valid.
We've long known that AC's compensation %off vouchers are a scam.
This has been discussed everytime people get excited about a 5% off code - which really ends up 1% off.

Good to see it go out into the public
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Other airlines allow vouchers to be used for everything, incl. taxes. I believe the AC voucher terms and conditions do say not usable for fuel surcharges - a total scam that should be announced when they are offered as this is a huge "asterix"
Old Jun 6, 2017, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Guava
This is how other airlines operate too with their vouchers as far as I know, that the vouchers can't cover taxes but base fare + carrier surcharges are o.k. because they are really part of the fare.
This is incorrect. UA compensation vouchers can be applied to taxes, fees, etc, so you can have a zero balance owing.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Other airlines allow vouchers to be used for everything, incl. taxes. I believe the AC voucher terms and conditions do say not usable for fuel surcharges - a total scam that should be announced when they are offered as this is a huge "asterix"
Originally Posted by margarita girl
This is incorrect. UA compensation vouchers can be applied to taxes, fees, etc, so you can have a zero balance owing.
Thank you both, I stand corrected then. In light of this, this makes AC's restrictions on their vouchers even more perplexing.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
For US residents, it's possible to have the voucher applied to YQ. I've had it done before. Best bet is to reach an agent in Tampa who either knows the process, or can get a supervisor in that office to liaise with ticketing agents for proper handling.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Don't buy the $200 Tango ticket... buy the $600 Flex/Latitude/PY/J ticket and get full value for your voucher.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YYC009
Don't buy the $200 Tango ticket... buy the $600 Flex/Latitude/PY/J ticket and get full value for your voucher.
ok lets see, I buy a J ticket for $3000.
I expect $300 off on my 10% certificate I got for a 12 hour delay last time.

to my surprise, the voucher only takes off $180, because $1000 is surcharge and $200 is taxes.

Yes, I definitely got value out of my 10% voucher.... all 6% of it.

Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: AC SE
I can understand not being able to use a voucher towards taxes or airport improvement fees, but the YQ or carrier surcharge is effectively a part of the ticket price that the airline charges. It's definitely disappointing if vouchers can't be applied towards the YQ component of the ticket price.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Which is why more people will refuse VDB comp. I prefer cash but have had AA and UA offer me vouchers which I had no issue using.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Can one insist on cash instead of these vouchers? How much room is there to negotiate taking cash vs. voucher?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vernonc
Which is why more people will refuse VDB comp..
99% of people have no idea AC vouchers are a scam. They dont know 10% is 2% in real life!

With EU261, AC offers 900 euro in vouchers or 600 in cash.
Until I read online I didnt know about the uselessness of those vouchers, I learned:
*you pay the whole thing, then get a refund AFTER flying (maybe?)
*cannot be split, no residual
*do not apply to surcharge
*cover only one pax on the itinerary

So basically I would have had to find a ticket with $1300 base fare just for me, and still pay AC hundreds of dollars on top of that for 'surcharges'.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
Can one insist on cash instead of these vouchers? How much room is there to negotiate taking cash vs. voucher?
For VDB you do not have to accept anything, hence the voluntary. You can tell them the amount you will accept and whether in cheque or voucher. Then again the airline does not have to accept your offer if they can get away with a lesser offer with another passenger. Max I have been offered by UA for a 24 hr delay was USD $1500 plus hotel, plus food, plus business class the next day. For a 4 hour flight.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

It seems once again the topic at hand has taken a detour so let's bring it back on track as the voucher in the OP is a dollar amount and not a discount percent off compensation voucher. Please focus on the matter at hand.

tcook052
AC forum Mod.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.