Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What do You Value More In-flight? Sleeping or Dining?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do You Value More In-flight? Sleeping or Dining?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Sleeping or Dining? Meal orders have been taken on the ground and no indication for flexible (hold-the-meal) dining has been indicated. International night flight - and a gentle nudge invokes no reaction. Is there a general preference to be woken up or to just stay down for the count until the next meal service?
I love the light I can set on the 787, I use it ALL the time to indicate what it is that I prefer.

But my general rule is on the short flights (less than 9 hours) I'll take sleep. On the long flights (more than 9 hours, like my common YYZ - DEL) I'll take the meal.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 10:53 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Really depends on time of flight, length of flight, needs on arrival, any previous legs etc... But I'll normally take the fast option with a short movie then sleep.

That said, I could swear I was asked, by AC, if I wanted to be woken for (the second meal) breakfast (once) a couple of years ago. Is that normal? It would be my preference...
Old Jun 4, 2017, 12:53 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
That's a tough one.

If the pax has (fully) reclined their seat, I think it's fair to assume they don't want to be woken up.

If they look like they've just nodded off (with the seat in the uprigth position), I think a nudge and possibly talking at the client is a reasonable effort. To the degree possible, I think it would be nice to keep a cold tray handy for them (not sure whether those are locked away / disposed of after dinner time) in case they do wake up.

It's not uncommon for me to nod off during departure on late evening flights, but I generally "signal" that I want to have dinner by deploying the tray (which most FAs seem to understand).
+1

This is my take as well. If I've gone to full lie-flat, then I'm not interested in eating, please let me sleep. If I've just dozed off with the seat only partially reclined, then please give me a gentle nudge when its time for the meal service.

Personally, I would probably have the tray out, a movie playing and headphones in when I dozed off.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:04 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
I always liked the Express Meal service that was offered on a Number of Airlines in The Past. You ordered before Take-Off with say a choice of 2 Cold Mains and a Starter or Desert. This was then served on a Large Tray..No Fuss, shortly after the Seat Belts sign Dinged.

My last attempt at a Form of Express meal on BA in First Class on MIA-LHR with poorly trained MF Crew was a disaster, almost 2 hours from Take Off to Delivery of One Simple Main course and Cheese, even this was after all adjacent passengers had been served 2 or 3 of their Starter, Soup, Salad courses.

Bring Back Express.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by UncleDude
I always liked the Express Meal service that was offered on a Number of Airlines in The Past. You ordered before Take-Off with say a choice of 2 Cold Mains and a Starter or Desert. This was then served on a Large Tray..No Fuss, shortly after the Seat Belts sign Dinged.

My last attempt at a Form of Express meal on BA in First Class on MIA-LHR with poorly trained MF Crew was a disaster, almost 2 hours from Take Off to Delivery of One Simple Main course and Cheese, even this was after all adjacent passengers had been served 2 or 3 of their Starter, Soup, Salad courses.

Bring Back Express.
That option already exists.
Express Light Option: As a quicker lighter option, enjoy your appetizer served with salad, cheese and fruit - presented all at once, soon after take-off

Most late night departures (876-FRA/858-LHR, etc) offer Express Hot all Inclusive trays served immediately after take-off.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Sleep.

I opted for "dining" on my last TPAC, and I paid for it on arrival.
​​​
I learned my lesson the hard way last eastbound TATL as meal service ended with 2hrs 45mins before breakfast began. Slept great for 2hrs, but was a struggle to stay awake for the remainder of the day. Lesson learned: sleep immediately after take-off and then breakfast.

Originally Posted by 24left
Drives me nuts to be fed breakfast before landing in HKG in the afternoon on AC 15.

AC 15 leaves at 10 am. No way can I sleep on that flight and I arrive in HKG exhausted.
What I've found works for me on this flight is waking up around 4am eastern time, between 12hrs and 8hrs remaining in the flight sleep for 4 hours so that I "wake up" at ~7am/8am HK time, stay up for the remainder of the flight and afternoon/evening in HK and go to bed at a regular time in HK.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Sleep. Although my international night flights have only been YYZ-Europe, so they are short enough that all sleep time is valued. Not sure if my answer would be different on a significantly longer flight - I doubt it.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: AC S100K
Sleeping or Dining? Meal orders have been taken on the ground and no indication for flexible (hold-the-meal) dining has been indicated. International night flight - and a gentle nudge invokes no reaction. Is there a general preference to be woken up or to just stay down for the count until the next meal service?
Experience and communication are the keys. The best FA's always ask every passenger when taking orders. The most experienced flyers will always offer information if the FA isn't asking.

For the inexperienced flyer, a few more words on the menu explaining options could help.

And, if you really want to get in my good books, please leave chips or a chocolate bar on my tray table if I've dozed off when you've passed by with a snack basket. Even though you can't guess my preference, I'll know you care.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by BlueMilk
Experience and communication are the keys. The best FA's always ask every passenger when taking orders. The most experienced flyers will always offer information if the FA isn't asking.

For the inexperienced flyer, a few more words on the menu explaining options could help.

And, if you really want to get in my good books, please leave chips or a chocolate bar on my tray table if I've dozed off when you've passed by with a snack basket. Even though you can't guess my preference, I'll know you care.
To Point 1:
The menus have had a design refresh, and the explanation outlining the options is pretty clear.

To Point 2: You'll have a friend for life. A Kit Kat and a Biscotti will be waiting.

Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: AC S100K
To Point 1:
The menus have had a design refresh, and the explanation outlining the options is pretty clear.

To Point 2: You'll have a friend for life. A Kit Kat and a Biscotti will be waiting.

Thanks! But notes between us are preaching to the converted.

For other readers, to point 1: On the rare occasion I forget my presence of mind and book a transcon redeye, I'll ask for breakfast to be served after take-off. Often the "starboard aisle" crew will be baffled by the request. I don't know if this kind of thing is part of the pre-flight briefing, but training could be better.

To point 2: Please write a memo. This has happened only once to me in many hundreds of segments. Perhaps we met.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
if flight is departing late, sleep.

I just flew ALA-FRA 2 days ago on LH. flight from ALA left at 4 am. the pilot made all the announcements on the ground and said that they would not make any during the flight. There would be no drinks service so people could sleep - if you need anything just let us know. no meals served until 2 hrs before landing in FRA.

awesome.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
You've pretty much nailed how I would handle it. Fully reclined (with the duvet over the head) sends a pretty clear message, whereas partially reclined and nodded off, would warrant a light tap & perhaps even leave the appetizer tray there for a reasonable/brief period of time. Cheese, dessert and light snacks are almost always available, and the actual tray w/appetizer will be held until there are signs of life -- more often than not, it is declined.
some airlines have "wake me up for meals" stickers in the amenity kits. something like that would take the guesswork out.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: AC MM, SE100K
Originally Posted by karachi
some airlines have "wake me up for meals" stickers in the amenity kits. something like that would take the guesswork out.
Or the converse sticker.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
When I saw the title, I was expecting a biased question, but the way it was written is perfect and reflects the issue without forcing the answer the questioner wants. (IMO very different from the AC surveys.)

Originally Posted by Jagboi
I like the way BA does it on the YYZ-LHR flights. There is a full dinner service in the lounge, but an abbreviated dinner service in the air. As part of the pre departure beverage service they ask if you'll be sleeping or having dinner. If you want to sleep they leave you alone until breakfast.
BA still does some things right. This is the gold standard for business class meal options, along with the ability to pre-order.

Good question.

Here's how it was done on CX, SQ, LH and BR and one of my AC 7s, plus 3 recent AC 8s:

"Would you like to join us for dinner service or would you prefer to sleep?
If you prefer to sleep, would you like us to serve you your main meal later on or would you prefer just something light?"

Also asked in most of these cases: "Would you like to be woken for breakfast or would you prefer to sleep longer?"

Brilliantly executed by all but especially the teams on 7/8 as I did not expect them to ask.
This is how I would like to be handled. Although, the BR flights from YYZ for me haven't gone as smoothly as they seemed to be FA training flights. (My guess is that the low J loads make it easier to train FAs. Still good service, but a bit "bumpy".)

Are you asking about the catered onboard meal to eat on the ground?Never going to happen and I don't think it's a good idea even if logistis and catering can manage it.

As for eating in the MLL, the food is not what I consider to be acceptable pre-flight dining that comes anywhere near what is offered in the business lounges such as: ANA NRT and HND, CX HKG (Pier J, Bridge etc), BA SIN, QF SIN, SQ SIN, SQ LHR, BR TPE, etc

I'd even consider some of the food offered the *A @ HKG (SQ, TG) to be quite good on some days.
The airline can't even provide pre-order so any attempt to offer something on the ground is indeed pie in the sky dreaming. As for the MLL food options, sadly this is what many of the customers want. Those same customers also want coronary bypass surgery, stents, dialysis and hip and knee replacements too after years of a lifestyle that considered MLL junk as a proper meal.

You've pretty much nailed how I would handle it. Fully reclined (with the duvet over the head) sends a pretty clear message, whereas partially reclined and nodded off, would warrant a light tap & perhaps even leave the appetizer tray there for a reasonable/brief period of time. Cheese, dessert and light snacks are almost always available, and the actual tray w/appetizer will be held until there are signs of life -- more often than not, it is declined.
I hope one day to have the option of flying on an AC flight where it is so easy to get meal service in the manner described. Without going off on a tangent, my TPAC flights in the past year did not have much food available by way of snacks or even as an option midflight. I have had situations where the advertised "snacks" were not loaded. This gets to the essential issue for me, which is that AC writes up a nice description of what's available, but did not deliver on my last 4 of 6 flights.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
Sleeping.

People have mentioned "Do not disturb" stickers on various airlines. I'm sure AC had them back in the barcalounger days in J. There was a sticker you could put on the side of the headrest.

If you look hard enough through all the options on the J seat control screen on the AC 787, there is some sort of "do not disturb" option. I used it a few weeks ago (SCL-YYZ) and I was not woken for breakfast. I don't know if that was because I was asleep, or because they noticed I had used that option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.