AC Cancelling tickets

Old May 30, 2017, 11:52 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by newfbc
Google Flight Status? Um.. I don't think that would be able to show a flight for an individual that was cancelled based on suspicion of fraud...

Ron.
no if you stay logged into google then search "air canada" and your reservation was sent to your gmail it will show your upcoming reservations on top before search results. try it sometime.

so i imagine it said "itenerary cancelled" or something and they missed the email.

it's really pathetic this is happening with ac while i'm doing multiple dodgy one way bookings with united that i half cancel within 24hrs, half end up flying on. and 0 issues whatsoever. once they ticket it, they ticket it.

and if there's suspected fraud why not be like african or turkish airlines and force manual checkin and cc verification at airport

Originally Posted by drcarrigan
Could it be after the UA incident this is how they're sorting overbooked flights?
no don't be silly. unless you're trying to be silly in which case carry on.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It will be popcorn time as soon as the media find out about this.
they probably won't. cbc likes sensational stories from 1-2 bleeding hearts that require said bleeding hearts to email a photo of themselves, firing a couple emails to ac, then publishing.

this would require investigation and research and more than an hour of work. so, again. yeah. unlikely.

but hey maybe there's a student journalist looking to build their portfolio.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Is this not the reason why the passenger's name shows up in the "memo" line of airline transactions on CC statements? How could an airline possibly flag a ticket purchased in the CC holder's own name as fraudulent?
Old May 30, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by The smallest state
Air Canada employees hate calling or dealing with customers. They aren't going to contact anyone. It's easier just to cancel than check.
Thats 100% what Ethiopian does. They wait for you to pull up your res to see that its been cancelled. No email, no call...nothing.
Old May 30, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Thats 100% what Ethiopian does. They wait for you to pull up your res to see that its been cancelled. No email, no call...nothing.
So AC is in good company.

Nothing to see here. Move along.
Old May 30, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by drvannostren
That's two customer service vanguards huh? Ethiopian and Air Canada, equal on not notifying the customer when they have randomly cancelled the ticket.

.........and I love this quote in your profile drvannostren "Pointless AP 35k
Old May 30, 2017, 6:31 pm

I have some professional experience with this stuff and the whole thing seems rather unusual. Fraud detection algorithms will always cause false positives but merchants as well as banks should have mechanisms on how to prevent serious damages for customers.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
What I find interesting is that all of a sudden, within a short period of time, there has been a sudden spike in these types of incidences.

And in many of these stories, the original "fraudulently purchased" flight was refunded.
By implication, are you suggesting the consumer is causing this spike?
Old May 30, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Wait a second, I think I had a MJB-YQB cancelled without any notification until 6 days prior? Whatever, seriously lame losers with profits about to sink even lower. Just keep flying the buses and shut up; I'm good with that.

Try to use your brains, then it starts to piss me off...
Old May 31, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Exclamation how can this be avoided?

I am esp. concerned about the uptick in AP redemption's and AC's propensity to cancel tix? How to avoid this? Call AP and re-confirm the bona fides of every res?
Old May 31, 2017, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
What I find interesting is that all of a sudden, within a short period of time, there has been a sudden spike in these types of incidences.

And in many of these stories, the original "fraudulently purchased" flight was refunded.
Leaving the passenger on the hook for the the more expensive ticket. AC should be refunding the replacement ticket, not the original less expensive ticket.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mromalley
Leaving the passenger on the hook for the the more expensive ticket. AC should be refunding the replacement ticket, not the original less expensive ticket.
I would be surprised if this were not what AC would eventually do when they eventually convince themselves that the CC charge was legitimate.

In none of the cases that have been mentioned here have we really heard enough detail to figure out what was going on, or the ultimate outcome. For the latter, apart from the lawyer who by going to court early, got what he wanted early.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by mromalley
Agreed. Do airport staff have the authority to issue a ticket at a price that currently does not exist.

I know the call centre can if they want to. About a year ago there was a system down between Avion and AC. Tried calling in to Avion, they said their AC connection was down for completing the transaction, but if I called AC they would credit me appropriately. The fare was more on the AC web site and what the call centre agent had available, the AC agent put me a hold and then came back a few minutes later booked at the other cheaper fare.

They should do the same thing. If AC cancels an otherwise valid ticket for internal fraud reasons (as opposed to the credit card doing it) without their being fraud, then AC should be forced to honour the original fare. Buying the customer a latte for the inconvenience should also be mandated. Not the latte from the machines that never work in the lounge, but a proper Starbucks latte. Tim Hortons acceptable only at airports without proper full service Starbucks.
Old May 31, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I am esp. concerned about the uptick in AP redemption's and AC's propensity to cancel tix? How to avoid this? Call AP and re-confirm the bona fides of every res?
Actually that would work. AC is a for-profit company and profits are the only thing that really matter. Every booking calling AC, clogging up already clogged phone lines, simply to 're-confirm' the booking would get AC's attention. If people were calling in saying 'I've seen on the CBC that you randomly cancel genuine bookings and don't tell anyone, I want to reconfirm' will work.

Now it'll never happen because the time commitment to the public with AC's usual long hold times alone will be daunting.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I actually did that via the social media channel, since I can't call. Pretty quick response.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by The smallest state
Actually that would work. AC is a for-profit company and profits are the only thing that really matter. Every booking calling AC, clogging up already clogged phone lines, simply to 're-confirm' the booking would get AC's attention. If people were calling in saying 'I've seen on the CBC that you randomly cancel genuine bookings and don't tell anyone, I want to reconfirm' will work.

Now it'll never happen because the time commitment to the public with AC's usual long hold times alone will be daunting.
Good idea. If you slow their phone sales maybe they'll care, maybe they'll add a "press digit X for ticket reconfirmation" in their automated voice prompt that has lower priority for access to live agents

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.