Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Cannot search segments which don't include Canada or the U.S.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cannot search segments which don't include Canada or the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 10:00 pm

I was searching this morning for my trip this summer and had no trouble seeing segments. I get this message now on all my searches for the pre-TPAC conectionss.

I suspect that the 20% bump in Aimia will reverse pretty darn quickly on Monday morning!

I completely agree that the OP's language was unacceptable, but unfortunately I think that they are in for worse than this (though not from me!) .

Dr. PIITUK
Old May 26, 2017, 10:09 pm

I just tried to call and they closed 10 minutes ago (fine for people out east!). The messages in both French and English make me think that ANY booking will soon be moved to phone, and it will be an automated system. While it would be interesting to think how many (more) toasters to buy, I am kicking myself for not booking this morning!!

Dr. PITUK
Old May 26, 2017, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by painintheuk
The messages in both French and English make me think that ANY booking will soon be moved to phone, and it will be an automated system.

Dr. PITUK
Did I go through a time-machine? Is this the year 2000?
Old May 26, 2017, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Have I entered a time-machine? Is this the year 2000?
No - in 2000, they answered the phone - no 8 hour waits! (OK - I'm just making a prediction about 7am tomorrow ).

Dr. PITUK
Old May 26, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
This news literally goes from bad to worse. I am so glad I pulled the trigger to burn up my AP balance last weekend. 155K for a J ticket. To build my international J reward, I used the one way search function to build each segment one by one. When I finally had all my flights put together, I called Aeroplan to book it. Instead the agent insisted to search using departure city - arrival city. Of course you are not going to find anything !! I have already done that on your own crappy website !! I had to feed her segment by segment the flight number and cities to put together this 9 segment trip in J.

I felt like saying to her, why am I paying you the $30 fee when I was the one who did the countless hours of research? If I hadn't done the detail leg work, I really have a hard time believing she would have had the patience / creativity to piece together a 9 segment trip.

To be able to search the intermediary segments on the website is really important. If we are leaving this up to the agent to do the leg work, I think there will be a lot more "No there is nothing available" and frustration. This is another way for AP to devalue the program. More fees collected, a lot more time spent on the phone for each booking, our hold time will get even longer, more calls will end with "there isn't anything available based on your departure/arrival cities. Mark my word.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

I don't know why they are doing this. I believe they are disabling this "feature" consciously. There is a temporary work around, though it's still a pain.
You basically have to wrap your desire "one way" search in a multi-city search.
I wanted to search for HKG-ZRH, I had to do a multi-city search.

DFW - HKG (Insert any date here)
HKG - ZRH (Insert the actual date you want to fly)
ZRH - DFW (Insert any date here)

This will at least work for most cases. For some cities, it may be difficult (if not impossible to wrap around).
Old May 26, 2017, 11:39 pm

Oh, it's conscious all right! I suspect that by tomorrow even more will be disabled.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by newbie2008
I don't know why they are doing this. I believe they are disabling this "feature" consciously. There is a temporary work around, though it's still a pain.
You basically have to wrap your desire "one way" search in a multi-city search.
I wanted to search for HKG-ZRH, I had to do a multi-city search.

DFW - HKG (Insert any date here)
HKG - ZRH (Insert the actual date you want to fly)
ZRH - DFW (Insert any date here)

This will at least work for most cases. For some cities, it may be difficult (if not impossible to wrap around).
thanks
Old May 27, 2017, 1:05 am

This is pathetic. I don't blame the earlier posting with the swearing - I would have felt the same way, and very possibly could have said the same thing. It is going to take SO much work to piece together a flight with a destination and 2 stopovers with this new rule in place. It was painful enough to have to search with a round trip back two years ago on non-US/Canada legs. I guess I'm going to have to learn about all the search alternatives out there beyond flisea and awardfinder.
Old May 27, 2017, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by joeags
This is pathetic. I don't blame the earlier posting with the swearing - I would have felt the same way, and very possibly could have said the same thing. It is going to take SO much work to piece together a flight with a destination and 2 stopovers with this new rule in place. It was painful enough to have to search with a round trip back two years ago on non-US/Canada legs. I guess I'm going to have to learn about all the search alternatives out there beyond flisea and awardfinder.
United's award search is a start. Thanks
Old May 27, 2017, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by painintheuk
The messages in both French and English make me think that ANY booking will soon be moved to phone, and it will be an automated system.
If its over the phone, how does "booking by automated system" work? Are you saying that a call is made to the center and the "system" will execute your itinerary by pressing numbers?

Last edited by 1Newflyer; May 27, 2017 at 10:24 am
Old May 27, 2017, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Is this the start of a downward spiral until 2020?
Old May 27, 2017, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Is this the start of a downward spiral until 2020?
The downward spiral started a long time ago
Old May 27, 2017, 5:41 am

"business as usual until 2020" my ...

It's barely a month and we lose LX and now searching
Old May 27, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jerryhung
"business as usual until 2020" my ...
Hey, no swearing; you might offend someone around here

Since naturally impulsive (and entirely understandable) reactions are forbidden, I'll offer this optimistic possibility: maybe Aeroplan's attempts to fix the limited availability on several airlines resulted in this temporary bug.

Hopefully.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.