Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Couple 'flabbergasted' after AC suspends tickets charging $6K to return from Portugal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Couple 'flabbergasted' after AC suspends tickets charging $6K to return from Portugal

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by antirealist
Don't worry, someone will be along shortly to explain why it was all his fault.
Okay I guess I will play the apologist role.

87 responses and over 5,000 views from frequent flyers who know the AC schedule backwards and forwards. Yet no one picked up on the fact that AC only provides summer seasonal service to Lisbon, Portugal. The family traveled in February and March with the incident occurring March 21.

So i did a dummy booking for winter season 2017/18 and discovered the only way to travel YYT-LIS-YYT is to use TAP for the trip into LIS, either with a connection in LHR or FRA.

So perhaps the posters quoted below could describe how AC was solely responsible for the mishap that occurred at the TAP checkin counter using TAP fraud protocols, TAP staff, and TAP operating procedures? Also perhaps the posters could comment as to how AC is suposed to speed up TAP for issue resolution?

Originally Posted by Badenoch
What perplexes about these stories is why and how the AC anti-fraud system works. .......

The other peculiar part is cancelling just the return portion. Did they conclude there something else going on such as a hidden booking, etc.?

We'll probably never know but articles like this are a good reminder to always have enough room on your credit cards to get home.
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I just cannot believe this. Even if they were flagged as fraudulent tickets, why was this not clarified by AC when the couple left Canada. They could have asked to see the credit card with which they had purchased the tickets and the couple would have not have to go through this drama.
Originally Posted by mromalley
If AC thought it was a fraud issue, why was the ticket not flagged for credit card verification at checkin instead of cancelling the return trip?

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
One of the many things I don't get in this case is why AC cancelled their tix after AC had already charged the couple and their trip was in progress. A simple ID check at the airport should have addressed or at least deferred the issue I would think.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Could this have been caused by an airport agent who didn't know what to do, where a simple call to someone (similar to how DHP is handled) would have "unsuspended" the tickets?
Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
AC can argue that the ticket was cancelled but good luck explaining how is possible that the passengers were able to use the outbound part of the journey.
Originally Posted by vernonc
Does AC have a supervisory/management role in their customer care dept ?
I am not talking about the CC issue and ticket cancellation but rather the failure to resolve once the complainant sent in his details.
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
AC needs to invest in a more robust Customer Service program. More appropriate and more timely handling of issues will save them $$ in the long run.
Originally Posted by jc94
AC should have sorted it at the airport, and worst case got him into the next flight and provided hotel and $$ or something for the inconvenience.
Originally Posted by expert7700
I can't believe AC cancels people's confirmed bookings... let alone RETURN tickets after the origin has been flown. EVEN if it's potential credit card fraud, how hard would it be for them to have the flight still protected/ ON HOLD?
Originally Posted by eigenvector
At what point does this go from being a good faith error by AC, to a corrupt business practice with the deliberate intent to defraud a passenger by refusing to issue a refund after being apprised of the facts and given every opportunity to respond?

He bought a ticket which AC refused to honour, for a contrived reason (credit card fraud which did not, in fact, take place).
Originally Posted by The smallest state
AC's customer service is particularly surprising since they are flying all over the planet representing Canada and yet, Canadians have little interest in the fact AC is essentially 'letting the side down'.
Originally Posted by jc94
The vast majority of these CBC stories could have been resolved with someone at the airport stepping up (I have no idea if this is a management or staff issue). This would probably resolve most of them.
Originally Posted by stevendorechester
They paid for their tickets well in advance, AC had no legal right to deny them boarding at the last second on their way back, in fact the person who made the final decision needs to be charged with fraud for willfully not providing a service that they have received payment for. I would love to see if there is any provision in the COC that allows an airline to deny boarding when passengers have complied with all of the requirements of the contract. AC accepted the money, the credit card company authorized the charge , the passenger paid the credit card company.

Also, since the airline flew them to Portugal, they were required to fly them back if they had a ticket.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by WR Cage
So perhaps the posters quoted below could describe how AC was solely responsible for the mishap that occurred at the TAP checkin counter using TAP fraud protocols, TAP staff, and TAP operating procedures? Also perhaps the posters could comment as to how AC is suposed to speed up TAP for issue resolution?
While not one of the listed members it does seem this ticket cancellation stemmed from AC and not TP:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...kets-home.html

“When we arrived they said ‘Sorry, Air Canada has suspended your ticket,’” he said in an interview from his home in Topsail, a community in Conception Bay South. “They told us to go to the customer service desk, but then we were told we needed to call Air Canada directly.”
Old May 18, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Do we know that they used a TAP check in counter? I haven't read that. If they went via FRA or LHR then they could have used an LH or AC check in counter for the first leg.

..................and for you ACbots who apologize for everything AC does, if they had simply told this poor couple that they are awaiting TAP's assistance and they were researching it, I think it would be fine.

Instead they ignored the problem..............again
Old May 18, 2017, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by WR Cage
Okay I guess I will play the apologist role.

87 responses and over 5,000 views from frequent flyers who know the AC schedule backwards and forwards. Yet no one picked up on the fact that AC only provides summer seasonal service to Lisbon, Portugal. The family traveled in February and March with the incident occurring March 21.

So i did a dummy booking for winter season 2017/18 and discovered the only way to travel YYT-LIS-YYT is to use TAP for the trip into LIS, either with a connection in LHR or FRA.

Great detective work and I assume none of us noticed because despite knowing routes and AC flight numbers, clearly flying TP into LIS was not the issue many here focused on .

QUOTES from the article in the OP:

In December, Earle and his wife Claudia booked a five-week round trip from St. John's to Portugal through Air Canada's website for about $2,400. They paid by credit card.

..."We go to check in, and we were told, 'Air Canada has cancelled your ticket. You have to go to customer care,'" he said.

Earle said they spent the next three hours getting the runaround from airport agents. Multiple calls on a pay phone to Air Canada and Star Alliance's customer care lines didn't resolve matters."

So, they bought their ticket from AC and that was all that mattered. To them and likely lots of others, AC had the greater responsibility. And if TP did something to cause this mess, then AC can take it up with them. IMHO.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by 24left
QUOTES from the article in the OP:

In December, Earle and his wife Claudia booked a five-week round trip from St. John's to Portugal through Air Canada's website for about $2,400. They paid by credit card.

..."We go to check in, and we were told, 'Air Canada has cancelled your ticket. You have to go to customer care,'" he said.

Earle said they spent the next three hours getting the runaround from airport agents. Multiple calls on a pay phone to Air Canada and Star Alliance's customer care lines didn't resolve matters."
Yes, as is noted in post #92 .
Old May 18, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Thanks to WR Cage for adding a valuable piece of information to the discussion. I'll have a go at explaining why it's AC's fault. Everything below is under the assumption that all travel was on 014 tickets.

AC is the ticketing carrier. If AC has cancelled/suspended the ticket, the passengers cannot fly. And as those of you who have encountered Aeroplan "coupon required" issues at the airport with non AC carriers know, there is nothing the operating carrier can do if you don't have a valid ticket. They didn't sell your ticket or take your money. All they can do is sell you a new one which is likely exactly what happened here with TAP.

So I disagree that TAP staff or fraud prevention instigated this at all, or that TAP was responsible for the refund. AC sold the ticket and was solely responsible for collecting payment from the passenger. Non plating airlines on an itinerary do not get involved in CC fraud verification and may not even be able to see what the original form of payment was.

None of the information in the article including the responses of ACs own reps indicates that anyone other than AC cancelled the ticket. Given that, it isn't material what operating carrier operated the first leg.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

In other words, TAP couldn't have been the one cancelling their ticket, TAP didn't even have the CC info to begin with as the payment and ticketing was processed by AC.

Furthermore, if it was bought on AC.com, that means their ticket must be 014 ticket stock. TAP will not touch a 014 ticket stock and TAP is paid by AC, not the pax themselves.

I think it's a valiant effort to play apologist in this case, ultimately, if WR Cage had looked into this just a little deeper, it's plainly obvious that fault couldn't have been with TAP.

But maybe this explains why AC wants you to file your claim in Alberta because all our resident apologists seem to come from there exclusively!
Old May 18, 2017, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Everything below is under the assumption that all travel was on 014 tickets.
Originally Posted by Guava
Furthermore, if it was bought on AC.com, that means their ticket must be 014 ticket stock. TAP will not touch a 014 ticket stock and TAP is paid by AC, not the pax themselves.
That the ticket was plated 014 seems a very safe assumption since in all likelihood AC would've been the first international/transatlantic carrier.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
To my mind, this is the timeline of events:

1. AC sold the ticket, either directly or through its authorized agent
2. At some point after the completion of outbound travel, AC cancels or otherwise invalidates the ticket, citing CC fraud
3. On the day of departure for inbound travel, passenger finds their ticket invalid for travel and contacts AC
4. AC is unable to resolve the situation, such as by offering to accept a 2nd form of payment at the original fare while the CC fraud issue is investigated (a common form of recourse used by other airlines in this scenario)
5. Passenger buys new ticket, unclear whether from TAP or AC
6. Passenger contacts AC for refund of new ticket citing erroneous claim of CC fraud, AC refuses

At what point is the operating carrier of the first inbound leg relevant?

AC sold the ticket.
AC cancelled the ticket.

Why would the passenger deal with TAP, who never collected a cent from them, when AC admitted it cancelled the ticket?
Old May 18, 2017, 1:46 pm

@WR Cage

As one of the posters quoted above. I based my judgement on AC in part on this statement from the article.

booked through AC's website, not a travel agent, not a 3rd party, not a consolidator etc.

TAP could not have had anything to do with the "fraud detection" because they would not have had the passengers cc info. AC did. The customer made multiple phone calls to AC from the Lisbon airport trying to resolve the CC issue.

When contacted about reimbursement for the new tickets they had to buy, AC had this response "apologized for any inconvenience our procedures may have caused you."

Inconvience? Really, the customers had to spend 6,000 to re buy plane tickets that he had already purchased and AC had been paid for. And when they asked for reimbursement for costs caused by AC's screw up, they ignore the situation.

If they followed up the above statement with please send us your receipts and we will send you a check. This would not be a story, this is where AC falls down time and time again. Most of us understand that sometimes s happens, it is the customer service recovery that AC fails at.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mromalley
When contacted about reimbursement for the new tickets they had to buy, AC had this response "apologized for any inconvenience our procedures may have caused you."

Inconvience? Really, the customers had to spend 6,000 to re buy plane tickets that he had already purchased and AC had been paid for. And when they asked for reimbursement for costs caused by AC's screw up, they ignore the situation.
This sounded almost as good as United CEO's apology to re-accommodate Dr. Dao.

I wonder if their PR is handled by the same firm?
Old May 18, 2017, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AC dumped them in Portugal. Unreliable travel partner.
But really AC lucked out. Because he could afford to buy tickets back to Canada.
Think how bad it would have been
" ...if this was some young person who scraped together every last cent, so to speak, for a holiday in Portugal, or a senior citizen who wasn't used to navigating the claims court. I mean, it would be terrible for them."
Dumped in a foreign country with a paid ticket that AC won't honour, but without the means to stay or leave? That could go to a diplomatic incident.
How that story would have played for AC is far far worse than this one. How about a family with a sick child? This was like the third story of baloney fraud control stranding AC customers in the last year.
They were lucky. But if they don't fix their idiot fraud control systems they are playing with fire and will eventually burn their whole damn house down.
Old May 18, 2017, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by rickg523
AC dumped them in Portugal. Unreliable travel partner.
But really AC lucked out. Because he could afford to buy tickets back to Canada.
Think how bad it would have been

Dumped in a foreign country with a paid ticket that AC won't honour, but without the means to stay or leave? That could go to a diplomatic incident.
How that story would have played for AC is far far worse than this one. How about a family with a sick child? This was like the third story of baloney fraud control stranding AC customers in the last year.
They were lucky. But if they don't fix their idiot fraud control systems they are playing with fire and will eventually burn their whole damn house down.
I agree that AC has to sharpen up its practices but those so impossibly dense that they travel without sufficient room on their credit card(s) to get themselves home in the case of a disruption or emergency pretty much deserve whatever befalls them.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:09 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Guava
In other words, TAP couldn't have been the one cancelling their ticket, TAP didn't even have the CC info to begin with as the payment and ticketing was processed by AC.

I think it's a valiant effort to play apologist in this case, ultimately, if WR Cage had looked into this just a little deeper, it's plainly obvious that fault couldn't have been with TAP.

But maybe this explains why AC wants you to file your claim in Alberta because all our resident apologists seem to come from there exclusively!
But what about Russia?

How does Russia play into all of this?
Old May 18, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
If it was really TAPs fault AC wouldn't have paid after CBC got hold of the article. Two months after ignoring the customer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.