Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is Being Super Elite Worth Much Extra Effort?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Being Super Elite Worth Much Extra Effort?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
OP - to me it's worth it for me, but for you, I don't know if it's worth it for you.

The question is easily asked once you've tasted SE once. Then you'll know for sure what you want or don't want.
Old May 13, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
If you are going to try and upgrade / use miles for flights / etc, sure it's worth it!

If you are just going to fly Paid J (aka put that money you would spend against flying J in the future) then it's not worth it.
Old May 13, 2017, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
You will only know once you experience it.

Otherwise, short of compiling a comprehensive requirements list, you will get a wide range of answers to this question.

But as a few have pointed out, just do it. Then you'll really know.

Speaking for myself, being SE gives me peace of mind. After 90 flights this year and with the YYZ runway construction shenanigans, being SE has definitely been of benefit.

To me.
Old May 13, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100*1MM; Spire Ambassador
Cool

Originally Posted by yyznomad

Otherwise, short of compiling a comprehensive requirements list, you will get a wide range of answers to this question.

Speaking for myself, being SE gives me peace of mind. After 90 flights this year and with the YYZ runway construction shenanigans, being SE has definitely been of benefit.

To me.
That is also my experience

Last edited by lespoir; May 13, 2017 at 10:44 pm Reason: Edit
Old May 13, 2017, 10:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad

To me.
I'm currently on my first YYZ trip of the year (I think?) to see my (not grand) mother. SE has resulted in me knowing what's going on tonight, instead of tomorrow morning. And having a concierge looking at options instead of telling me to fly Monday.

So I also think it's been of benefit.

To me.
Old May 13, 2017, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm currently on my first YYZ trip of the year (I think?) to see my (not grand) mother. SE has resulted in me knowing what's going on tonight, instead of tomorrow morning. And having a concierge looking at options instead of telling me to fly Monday.

So I also think it's been of benefit.

To me.
Sure, but by the time the OP gets SE the construction at YYZ will be done.
Old May 13, 2017, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Sure, but by the time the OP gets SE the construction at YYZ will be done.

Pick another incident. The concierge line, on its own, is worth the 95 to 100 jump.
Old May 13, 2017, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow

Pick another incident. The concierge line, on its own, is worth the 95 to 100 jump.
Oh, I know, but with the 1,000 times you've taken my post 100% literally I decided to do the same
Old May 14, 2017, 2:45 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by After Burner
Not necessarily. I was SE for about 10 consecutive years. Then I wasn't, and haven't noticed the slightest difference.
same here - I was SE for 17 years, E75 for the past year and a half, and see
no real difference. That being said, I fly paid J for international, and only
use upgrapes for YYZ-YUL or YYZ-Florida, and I have minimal AE miles to
redeem.
Old May 14, 2017, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Good question. I'm currently at $7.5k and still have PY to FRA to account for as well as J to DEL, as well as some smaller transborder trips. It may well be a stretch to hit the $20k, especially since on the trip to JNB I'll only get AQD as far as LHR or FRA.
As long as your trip to JNB is booked on 014 (AC) ticket stock, you will get AQD all the way through. This was a change initiated in 2017.
Old May 15, 2017, 4:52 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Not necessarily. I was SE for about 10 consecutive years. Then I wasn't, and haven't noticed the slightest difference.
The only significant difference I've noticed is the easy ability to use up my Aeroplan miles and the YQ waiver on international flights. For the routes I typically travel, I find it pretty easy to burn through my points as I earn them. For example, I could fly to London in J from YYT tonight (where I am) or YYZ tomorrow (where I'll be) and return on Thursday for 110,000 points and $425.
Old May 15, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
I've been a SE for 14yrs and all I can say is it is totally worth it. Like others here who have said you will know once you have it. The Concierges have personally got me through lots of messes. I couldn't fly without them.
Old May 15, 2017, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by The Lev
As long as your trip to JNB is booked on 014 (AC) ticket stock, you will get AQD all the way through. This was a change initiated in 2017.
I believe that is only for segments booked on 014 AC ticket stock AND is a star alliance partner. So flying with British Airways through London would mean the BA segments don't count.

Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Old May 15, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan E75
Same here. When you travel in C anyway and/or if you are burning miles before their programmed evanescence in 2020, it is hardly worth it.

I was SE 3 years in a row; the last year I had to do YVR-YUL in the back, trumped by a pilot. Not fun.

Then down to E75 then down to E50. I don’t really see the difference. The only status that really count is *gold.
Old May 15, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by Tax Dude
The only significant difference I've noticed is the easy ability to use up my Aeroplan miles and the YQ waiver on international flights. For the routes I typically travel, I find it pretty easy to burn through my points as I earn them. For example, I could fly to London in J from YYT tonight (where I am) or YYZ tomorrow (where I'll be) and return on Thursday for 110,000 points and $425.
That's actually what I need to do myself very shortly ... 2-3 days in London. It's been a while since I've done much international travel and the $10k+ fare for YYZ-LHR-YYZ shocked me a bit. So if SE could let me use my miles for that I'm sold!

But my understanding was that IKK doesn't apply to international. Did I get that wrong?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.