Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Such that it is actually searchable text - one of the important changes to the Aeroplan program in 2019 for Super Elites:

New for Air Canada Altitude Super Elite 100K members: Complimentary changes and refunds
Beginning July 15, 2019, Air Canada Super Elite 100K members will no longer be charged a fee when they request a change to their Flight Reward booking. Additionally, these members will also no longer be charged a fee to refund their bookings. These fee waivers will apply to all bookings, including those made prior to the new policy coming into effect.

Read the below screenshots for the rest.

July 15 2019
"AEROPLAN FLIGHT REWARDS: NOW WITH MORE FLEXIBILITY AND PEACE-OF-MIND"

https://www.aeroplan.com/whats_new/news_articles.do?dl=WhatsNew_WEBUP31000285_2019_07 _15¤tLanguage=en

New chart with fees in this post

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31306687-post1334.html

Older news releases from 2017 below

Air Canada "What You Need to Know"

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...d-to-know.html

Air Canada Press Release May 11, 2017

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1135

Aeroplan News "To Our Valued Members" - May 11, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/whats_new/...New_2017_05_09

Aeroplan & Air Canada update

We'd like to help our members understand the latest news about our partner, Air Canada.

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-...id=BAN30000311

From Aeroplan - UPDATE May 31, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-and-aeroplan-update.do

Aeroplan Saga Ends in a Long, Financial Detour:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle35080509/

August 11 2017

"We're on solid ground so your plans can take flight."

https://www.aeroplan.com/program-updates.do?currentLanguage=en&cid=008692096

"Five things you need to know about your miles"

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

September 19, 2017 - Investor Day Presentation

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

//
Print Wikipost

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by spartac
Euh...a horrible feeling is sinking in...

So the J/F tickets for Feb 2018 I was sooooo happy I got with points a few months ago WILL evaporate is AE goes under say Jan 2018, as I understand that AE will pay the carriers only AFTER my trip?

Can the carriers cancel my ticket just because Aimia's credit rating sinks, and they think they MIGHT not be paid? in other words even without AIMIA going under??

This is a horrible scenario that I don't even want to entertain as I have a cruise booked that I won't be able to cancel past October 2017.
Other members have since added clarification on this. The AC segments are likely fairy safe since your reservation is older than a month. There is apparently a monthly settlement process between AC and AE. This process may not be so safe due to counterparty risk if and when AE struggles with liquidity issues. In the ST, I don't expect this to be an issue. However, any non-AC segments, the airlines in question won't be paid until after you fly, so you could end up like Bartolo.
Old May 14, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by Guava
Other members have since added clarification on this. The AC segments are likely fairy safe since your reservation is older than a month. There is apparently a monthly settlement process between AC and AE. This process may not be so safe due to counterparty risk if and when AE struggles with liquidity issues. In the ST, I don't expect this to be an issue. However, any non-AC segments, the airlines in question won't be paid until after you fly, so you could end up like Bartolo.
Brand new user but long, long time lurker. I believe that most IATA airlines have BSP settlement in place - which I hope insulates already booked tickets from any negative consequences ....especially as I have NH First and TK Business booked for next April.
Old May 14, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
So now that the dust is beginning to settle, an air of calmness is setting in, and a hint of laissez faire is developing, the time has come to put in my $0.02 worth. (I recognize that few may be interested, and will admit to spasms of hyperbole from time to time, but I'll find it somewhat therapeutic, so here goes.)

My thoughts, in no particular order:

1. Hallelujah! What took them so long?

2. It won't affect me much because I gave up on AE over ten years ago. The only miles in my account are BIS variety, which I seem to have the utmost difficulty redeeming for anything that aligns with my wants and desires. I'll probably redeem them for Esso gas cards and be done with it.

3. I wonder what the tipping point was. Was it purely a commercial dollars and cents decision, or did they finally have their fill of the backlash generated by AE?

4. Is it possible in my wildest dreams that AC is actually beginning to listen to what their customers think? (See #3 .) or are they blowing smoke as usual:

Over the next three years we will listen to our customers, employees and partners to create a program that better serves the way you live and travel. Along the way, we will also look to implement near-term improvements to elements of the Air Canada customer experience, which everyone can enjoy, as well as to Air Canada Altitude for our more frequent flyers.
Time will tell I suppose. But in the meantime it's business as usual for me, which means Westjet whenever their schedule and routing allows.
Old May 14, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't want to under/over react until I actually know what's going to happen.

My first conversation with Ben Smith went something like:
Me: Why can't you open more IKK?
Ben: I bet you get all your miles from credit cards. (not a direct quote, but the sentiment was the same)

So yes, I fully expect credit card miles to be stranded. But given what they've already said about bonuses, it's not reasonable to say we'll start at 0
AC's own program will not open up more IKK. They have the ability to do this now. They already restrict IKK to 10 redemptions per year. They can easily change this today to redemptions (either based on reservations or miles) based on how many AQMs (or AQDs) you got the previous year.

There's only two things I expect from AC's FF program:
- no more AC / AE runaround for crediting flights due to IRROPS (and probably faster crediting)
- reduced or waived change / cancelation fees for Altitude members
Old May 14, 2017, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yvr76
AC's own program will not open up more IKK. They have the ability to do this now. They already restrict IKK to 10 redemptions per year. They can easily change this today to redemptions (either based on reservations or miles) based on how many AQMs (or AQDs) you got the previous year.
Bolding mine. That would require IT

It's also hard to come up with something that's better for AC, better for customers, APPEARS to be better for customers, and easy to explain.

YYZ-ROC in Y is not the same IKK as YYZ-SYD in J, but how do you code that into the system.

Heck, I'd argue that the IKK credit should be refunded if your cabin leaves with an empty seat

- reduced or waived change / cancelation fees for Altitude members
Yup.
Old May 14, 2017, 2:38 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
How is this thread still going so bloody strong? I've been travelling the past couple days and haven't had time to read all the posts, but it's all quite simple as far as I'm concerned.

Altitude (why would AC use any other name when they've already been building up that brand?) will probably be slightly more favourable to AC FFs and less so to the no-status plebes. But it will be a while before we know, so not much use speculating.

AC IS NOT GOING TO BUY AIMIA. AC can create an FFP tailored to its own needs and desires and not be stuck with the steaming pile of excrement that AE's IT and customer service (yes, AC is no great shakes on either front, but light years ahead of AE). Nor does it get stuck with all of Aimia's liabilities and other programs and can build what it needs cheaply.

Nor will this necessarily kill Aimia. Aeroplan is ~60% of their gross revenue. Aeroplan won't necessarily die as a result of this change. People redeem their points for toasters etc as well.

Also, per Aimia's presentation from last week, 50% of flights redeemed through Aeroplan are Market Fare.

If this starts to cause strain on Aimia's financial position, they will just substantially devalue the miles, forcing people to spend 500K for a domestic Y round trip, for example.

We have 3 years to burn up miles. Plenty of time. ridefar, not sure how you think you're going to strand so many with so long to plan out their use.

Stranger, I'm surprised to see you say some of us have wanted and predicted this for a while. You're not including yourself in that, are you? Because I think we had some pretty vehement disagreements a couple years ago when I said this was coming
Old May 14, 2017, 4:03 pm

Of interest, I've asked several ways, but Air Canada still has not acknowledged nor responded to my questions as to what happens to Aeroplan bookings should they go bankrupt.

Others might try.
Old May 14, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Of interest, I've asked several ways, but Air Canada still has not acknowledged nor responded to my questions as to what happens to Aeroplan bookings should they go bankrupt.

Others might try.
Since AC is still promoting Aeroplan on their site post unpinning, I am going to go with a world of lawsuits should they try and renege on travel booked up until the date they stop promoting Aeroplan as their miles partner. I personally know of a few law firms mulling class action ...although that is drastic at this stage.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../aeroplan.html
Old May 14, 2017, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
They may not be able to make the change today based on either IT or contractual limitations (AE may not allow AC to discriminate against AE points that way).

It would actually be very smart for AC to have two types of points in their own program - An AQM style point with full IKK capability (at least for high status members) and then regular points that would be earned via credit card, bonuses, gas, groceries, etc. that would not be eligible for IKK. They wouldn't need to put that limitation of 10 redemptions per year (or "control" availability) because the "problem" of SE's with millions of credit card points would go away. Let's face it - even if a SE earns 150,000 AQM per year, that is one Asia J redemption.

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Maybe you should direct that question wherte it belong - to Aeroplan.
Old May 14, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I feel like I've stumbled into a KPMG discussion group on tax efficient havens. The proles deserve what they get apparently. My take on this is that AC are going to kick the infrequent flying steerage class in the teeth again and they'll be cheered on.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
No, negotiations are over. AC is taking it in-house, that's why they did a job posting for a new loyalty manager last month. Also, AC is sick of giving so many seats to credit card spenders and having to shaft their customers.
Many people have talked about the evil credit card points earners being the root of the problem. What is AC going to do about all the other Star Alliance members that have the gall to redeem for flights on their airline?

Originally Posted by YYT82
The reaction here is low key because many had already seen the writing on the wall years ago and have long left the program (think margarita_girl, yyzprincess, Lockheed_Electra, and many more). They probably drained their AE accounts before this announcement.
Do I hear my name? Actually, in the year that I was transitioning to other programs, my tagline was "The biggest problem with AC is that they don't have a loyalty program". It was Aeroplan that convinced me to search for greener pastures. And then AC came along and made more changes slamming the door shut for good.

Originally Posted by 24left

Hmmmm, I burned one million miles in about 1.5 years (quite a few on Buz Class transcon tickets to AC FT Do's, LOL)

Good thing no one has started a thread:

"How Have You Burned Through Your Aeroplan Miles?"

OK, you made me look. Big burn years were 1.13MM miles in 2011, 485K miles in 2012 and 584K miles in 2013. Currently have 6,008 AE miles that I need to figure out what to do with before 2020.

Originally Posted by jaysona
Holy crap!!

33 pages of posts about something that is more than three years away from implemented.
Could have been worse. If the flightless bird was still around, we could add another 10 pages to that.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by NoTravelIsFree
Since AC is still promoting Aeroplan on their site post unpinning, I am going to go with a world of lawsuits should they try and renege on travel booked up until the date they stop promoting Aeroplan as their miles partner. I personally know of a few law firms mulling class action ...although that is drastic at this stage.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../aeroplan.html
Good. Any assistance from legal representation is welcome against this company.

1/ set up FF program
2/ monetize and spin off FF program into separate company
3/ disassociate from old FF program in separate company
4/ See step 1

Sounds like a great deal..............for AC.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis First, AA Gold
Reality Check

I think FF are taking this way too seriously. Seen this written many times on the bits of the thread (I agree) I've looked today in between truly important events in my day.

FF programs are just marketing. I'm sure in the wash it'll be fine as long as there's competition. If a FF program makes up any part of one's identity and AC Altitude kicks you to the curb there's always online gaming.

If anyone is truly pissed (which I totally get) because the whole reason for being in a program is the stuff the supplier promised you, there's a way to send a message. Spend your money with a different supplier.

Last edited by AC MMSE; May 15, 2017 at 3:21 pm Reason: Accidentally posted too soon
Old May 15, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
IMO Higher end spenders are the ones that will take the hardest hit, because they have invest a lot in the program, especially with the minimum spending requirement in order to gain status.

Lower or minimal spenders on AC will have very little to lose, and can burn all their miles easily with one ticket.
Old May 15, 2017, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Many people have talked about the evil credit card points earners being the root of the problem. What is AC going to do about all the other Star Alliance members that have the gall to redeem for flights on their airline?
This. I happily use KrisFlyer to fly AC J around North America, which costs less (40k roundtrip) and are easier to collect than AE, as they are transfer partners of Citi, Chase, and Amex.

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.