Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Such that it is actually searchable text - one of the important changes to the Aeroplan program in 2019 for Super Elites:

New for Air Canada Altitude Super Elite 100K members: Complimentary changes and refunds
Beginning July 15, 2019, Air Canada Super Elite 100K members will no longer be charged a fee when they request a change to their Flight Reward booking. Additionally, these members will also no longer be charged a fee to refund their bookings. These fee waivers will apply to all bookings, including those made prior to the new policy coming into effect.

Read the below screenshots for the rest.

July 15 2019
"AEROPLAN FLIGHT REWARDS: NOW WITH MORE FLEXIBILITY AND PEACE-OF-MIND"

https://www.aeroplan.com/whats_new/news_articles.do?dl=WhatsNew_WEBUP31000285_2019_07 _15¤tLanguage=en

New chart with fees in this post

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31306687-post1334.html

Older news releases from 2017 below

Air Canada "What You Need to Know"

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...d-to-know.html

Air Canada Press Release May 11, 2017

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1135

Aeroplan News "To Our Valued Members" - May 11, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/whats_new/...New_2017_05_09

Aeroplan & Air Canada update

We'd like to help our members understand the latest news about our partner, Air Canada.

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-...id=BAN30000311

From Aeroplan - UPDATE May 31, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-and-aeroplan-update.do

Aeroplan Saga Ends in a Long, Financial Detour:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle35080509/

August 11 2017

"We're on solid ground so your plans can take flight."

https://www.aeroplan.com/program-updates.do?currentLanguage=en&cid=008692096

"Five things you need to know about your miles"

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

September 19, 2017 - Investor Day Presentation

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

//
Print Wikipost

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by robsaw
The amount at the end of 2016 was $2.2B + another $860M in "Potential redemption liability Broken Loyalty Units" for a total of approx $3.1B.
Are you saying they have this kind of money to redeem the points in buying tickets and such. AP said they have $ 700 M purchasing power per year that other lines may be interested. Do they have that much cash to work with? or do they rely on new cash coming in from sponsors for that.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2017/...-aeroplan.html

I was left a but puzzled by this article above.

It gives a rather rosey outlook for the breakup; not what I expect at all.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:14 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2017/...-aeroplan.html

I was left a but puzzled by this article above.

It gives a rather rosey outlook for the breakup; not what I expect at all.
The whole points blogger industry is based on a rosy outlook so-as to keep us all churning the cards they peddle, and to a lesser extent use their services to book tickets.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Are you saying they have this kind of money to redeem the points in buying tickets and such. AP said they have $ 700 M purchasing power per year that other lines may be interested. Do they have that much cash to work with? or do they rely on new cash coming in from sponsors for that.
You'll need someone with more time and accounting expertise to answer those details with precision, but at the moment, yes, they have the cash and credit to make good on redeeming those miles for tickets AT the current rate of miles earned/burned. However, if there is a run on redemptions or major drop-off in billings (i.e. new sales of points to AC, TD, CIBC, etc that buy those points to distribute to their customers - the Aeroplan members) then they could run into a cash-flow problem in the future, which could trigger issues with debt and redemption reserve covenants.
Old May 27, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
this 700m is meqningless. any company that has access to the deeply discount award space ought to be able to generate plenty of revenue.
if you sell something at a loss, you can get plenty of revenue easily.

aeroplan can access this space because air canada is part of the alliance and.contribute it share of award space.
Old May 27, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by Guava
What I find curiously absent in this interview is any reiteration re: dividend payout on the next ex-dividend date of 14/06. Mr. Johnston could have boosted the confidence of investors by saying "Our financials remain strong and we expect to continue to pay the previously declared dividend on schedule and for the balance of the year." This single sentence alone would have been enough to cause a sharp reversal of the stock price and he knows it too. So the fact he was mum about the dividend says to me he is not nearly as confident as he claims to be, that's how I read his interview. I think the investors will remain nervous until there is a clearer plan on how Aimia intends to replace AC. I would still urge an accelerated draw down of any Aeroplan balance without delay and shift your points earnings activities elsewhere if possible to safeguard against any sudden devaluation or unannounced shutdown.
Fully agree with that. He didn't really say anything new to calm the nervous investors.

The company is damaged and bleeding. There is pressure for them to cut the already announced dividend, so save money. But if they cut that dividend, the stock will tank.

If they don't cut the dividend, the stock will definitely drop at the ex-dividend date. So speculators might buy now, hoping for a quick dividend, but stock don't drop more than the dividend amount come June 14.

We've shifted our earning of aeropeso from our ae cards, to other cards. We're also looking for redemptions soon than later. ae need to transform to an Air Miles kind of company, but AM got a headstart in signing up lots more companies. The future just doesn't look good for ae.
Old May 28, 2017, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by yscleo
ae need to transform to an Air Miles kind of company, but AM got a headstart in signing up lots more companies. The future just doesn't look good for ae.
I find Air Miles to be junk. If that is the route AP going, migrate to USA for earning real points.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
I don't understand how a CEO just telling "the market overreacted" is enough to create a +20% jump of the share price... but well...
I already provided the answers to that several days ago.

I would advise against a panic at this point. It is true that Aimia stock price cannot sustain the downward volatility we are seeing lately but this may well be a case of an overreaction by the market due to absence of any other information. In this sense, the stock market is not that different to this forum. We react emotionally to lack of information by taking steps to reduce our exposure to Aeroplan, so do the investors. They take steps to reduce their own exposure to Aimia absent of information. But clearly, neither FFs nor investors will completely quit Aeroplan/Aimia just yet.
Post #550 from May 19th

The market is not saying Aimia is near bankruptcy, or that the current stock price is its liquidation value. In truth, if a publicly traded company were to go into bankruptcy, chances are the value to shareholders is going to be very close or equal to zero because creditors would get paid first, leaving next to nothing for equity holders.

Like I said earlier, absent of any credible information regarding Aimia's plan going forward, investors like you and me will have to fill the void with our imagination and guesses. At this time, there is a lot of nervous energy regarding Aimia and Aeroplan, so the market is driven by high emotions in the absence of information. It is not possible to perform any adequate fundamental analysis at this point on Aimia. Any models used to do such a job will be plagued by multiple gaps in information and the need to make quite a leap in many assumptions. And that is not even the biggest obstacle, it is not knowing what Aimia plans to do that is the irreplaceable unknown. I can certainly make a best effort estimate of consumer reactions, projected credit card sales for the next 6 months but all of that is irrelevant if we don't know what Aimia will do in 2018, 2019, 2020 and beyond.

The real problem is the poor corporate communication and lack of social media engagement. Why isn't there an Aeroplan representative on FT right now? on Facebook? on Twitter? You need a dedicated PR team to handle the public and engage and interact with them, especially now. There are rumors circulating regarding Aeroplan doing some sort of *Net filtering. But no one is able to debunk these rumors. If true, the company needs to come out and be upfront with their customers. If not true, this needs to be debunked ASAP.

I don't think Aimia is really in any immediate danger of going belly up, not from a financial standpoint anyway but the company needs to take charge of the situation or people will draw their own conclusions and imagine the worse.
Post #556 , May 19th

I deliberately emphasized part of my own quotes. As you can see, even a week prior to Aimia CEO finally came out and started to engage the public, I already sensed the market was overreacting and the why was explained in my post. The problem affecting Aeorplan is not fundamentally based, but rather emotions. We tend to think investors as logical beings but we also seem to forget they are humans like you and me, and other Aeroplan members.

I criticized Aimia for not coming out earlier to engage the public because that would have helped the company stemming the tide of free falling stock prices, which are being affected by nothing but raw emotions. By the time the CEO finally came out and issued his statement, some investors may be overjoyed by the attempt to engage and reassure, the truth is, the damage is already done. The effort is appreciated, for a time, but the lack of substance will likely do little to stem the tide. Many institutional investors will be paying a lot of attention to the dividend and if they don't like where things are going or if they panic, things could still go much further south for Aimia's stock prices.

Fully agree with that. He didn't really say anything new to calm the nervous investors.
Like I said a week ago, they need to do something - anything. The company finally did, albeit a week late and weak, at least Aimia is seeing better days for a day. Next week, I am not so sure. I think the Institutional investors will be very nervous as the ex-dividend date approaches. Many are holding on to the stock for now because they are expected to be paid very shortly. If anything should happen to that, it will be a bloodbath.

The company is damaged and bleeding. There is pressure for them to cut the already announced dividend, so save money. But if they cut that dividend, the stock will tank.
Tank is not a word I would use but more like free fall. Absent of a stable dividend payout policy, Institutional Investors will not hold what is otherwise a speculative "growth stock" or closer to distressed securities, for some.

If they don't cut the dividend, the stock will definitely drop at the ex-dividend date. So speculators might buy now, hoping for a quick dividend, but stock don't drop more than the dividend amount come June 14.
The stock will likely drop more than the dividend amount on 14/06 because no one in their sound mind expect the current dividend payout to be sustainable, which was over 40% at one point last week. This may sound ironic given what I just said about the institutional investors but it may not be such a bad idea for Aimia to scrap the already declared dividend now, take a hit but offer a credible plan to rehabilitate the company post-AC. This will be more worthwhile than sticking to the current plan, just for the sake of appearance because volatility will once again accelerate after the declared dividend is paid, there will be a period of void between then and the next announcement.

We've shifted our earning of aeropeso from our ae cards, to other cards. We're also looking for redemptions soon than later. ae need to transform to an Air Miles kind of company, but AM got a headstart in signing up lots more companies. The future just doesn't look good for ae.
It will be hard to Aeroplan to be another Air Miles. Aeroplan's target customers is upper middle class and above, which means Aeroplan cannot sign up as many companies as Air Miles can. But even such niche may be in danger without AC as partner. In other words, Aeroplan will need to redefine itself, if so, it may be to re-evaluate who and how it wants to segment the market. How does it differentiate itself from Air Miles? Air Miles does not in fact have a "Market Fare" for flights awards. Instead, Air Miles uses a somewhat old fashioned zone based but fixed price flight awards. Short-haul flights and/or intra-provincial flights using AM can potentially be cheaper than using Aeroplan even now.

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
I find Air Miles to be junk. If that is the route AP going, migrate to USA for earning real points.
Which will not be possible for most Canadian residents
Old May 28, 2017, 8:48 am
YUL

Programs: SPG Gold / IHG Spire / Emerald Executive Elite
PointWeasel: migrate to US based program: "will not be possible for most Canadian residents"

I believe United's MP can be as attractive as AP in terms of collecting points while flying. Also, awards are more plentifull, and there are little scamcharges, even on Air Canada metals.

Obviously, you can't collect points in any Canadian merchants currently, but that can change if demand materializes.

If MP expands in Canada, Air Canada would certainly not cooperate much more thought...

----------------------------------------------------------

FWIW: You can open a US Chase bank account and they'll get you a Chase MileagePlus Explorer CC if you want (As a Canadian, I got one easily).
Old May 28, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Don't think I've seen this mentioned but I was just on the FT home page and there is a note about this saying "Don’t Panic, But Air Canada Is Dropping"

Now the entire text is "Don’t Panic, But Air Canada Is Dropping Aeroplan" but with the last word missing it looks a little unfortunate!
Old May 28, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
AC is so smart.

1. Spin off (sell out) their FF program with a relationship. Receive a bundle of money.

2. Break off that relationship and create a new FF program. See that sold out company fail.

Repeat.

Do that a few times, receive many bundles of money.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:37 am
YUL

Programs: SPG Gold / IHG Spire / Emerald Executive Elite
AC is so smart;
1. Spin off (make $$$$)
2. Break off
3. Repeat.
So true! What a scam.

And how can you expect a third party FF program to succeed? You are adding a huge layer of complexity.

AP Shareholders (who paid Billions) expect a resonnable return. That reflects on all the scamcharges, un-availability of awards flts, and the rip-off marchandise offering.

Air Canada is definitely laughing all the way to the Caisse Populaire (ok, meant bank here)!
Old May 29, 2017, 1:07 pm

It would be interesting to know who the major share-holders are in the two companies, and how much overlap there is.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by kalderlake
It would be interesting to know who the major share-holders are in the two companies, and how much overlap there is.
I did a quick SEDI search and neither issuer has any 10%+ shareholders declared. Holdings under that by non-insiders don't have to be declared, so it's hard to find unless the entity is open about their position.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Aren't Miles&More numbers 15 digits?
Yes, not 100's of millions, but rather trillions... just 100's of trillions however...

bigger... better... I hope altitude has 16 digits like credit cards... even bigger, even better. =) (won't comment on how I feel down there right now imagining the massive loyalty hard card... metal could be useful too... wrists sometimes need a scraping here and there)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.