Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Old May 11, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Such that it is actually searchable text - one of the important changes to the Aeroplan program in 2019 for Super Elites:

New for Air Canada Altitude Super Elite 100K members: Complimentary changes and refunds
Beginning July 15, 2019, Air Canada Super Elite 100K members will no longer be charged a fee when they request a change to their Flight Reward booking. Additionally, these members will also no longer be charged a fee to refund their bookings. These fee waivers will apply to all bookings, including those made prior to the new policy coming into effect.

Read the below screenshots for the rest.

July 15 2019
"AEROPLAN FLIGHT REWARDS: NOW WITH MORE FLEXIBILITY AND PEACE-OF-MIND"

https://www.aeroplan.com/whats_new/news_articles.do?dl=WhatsNew_WEBUP31000285_2019_07 _15tLanguage=en

New chart with fees in this post

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31306687-post1334.html

Older news releases from 2017 below

Air Canada "What You Need to Know"

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...d-to-know.html

Air Canada Press Release May 11, 2017

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1135

Aeroplan News "To Our Valued Members" - May 11, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/whats_new/...New_2017_05_09

Aeroplan & Air Canada update

We'd like to help our members understand the latest news about our partner, Air Canada.

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-...id=BAN30000311

From Aeroplan - UPDATE May 31, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-and-aeroplan-update.do

Aeroplan Saga Ends in a Long, Financial Detour:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle35080509/

August 11 2017

"We're on solid ground so your plans can take flight."

https://www.aeroplan.com/program-updates.do?currentLanguage=en&cid=008692096

"Five things you need to know about your miles"

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

September 19, 2017 - Investor Day Presentation

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

//
Print Wikipost

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Old May 11, 2017, 6:42 am

I wonder if this is a ploy by AC to buy out Aimia at a deep discount. I'm not a securities lawyer so I have no idea whether they could get away with it. AC could then spin off the management of non-airline programs.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Sebring
I wonder if this is a ploy by AC to buy out Aimia at a deep discount. I'm not a securities lawyer so I have no idea whether they could get away with it.
They could. I'm wondering if this is part of a negotiating ploy.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by acysb87
One of the major benefit selections for me as SE was the "double miles" to AE for miles flown. A benefit devaluation by default?
That is an Altitude benefit- not an AP benefit. Aeroplan never gave that to you. It was Air Canada. Hope it stays, but we will see what AC does with things like this.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Plumber
The issue is that there is x Billion points sitting out there waiting to be redeemed. Many, many people will now expedite those redemptions to get maximum value (ie before AP is forced into only a market -fare based redemption system. I believe it will now be more difficult to redeem over the next 3 years.
While I suspect this is an issue, how many people actually know how to redeem the tickets that we lot like to redeem (business class tickets on routes that avoid a carrier surcharge)?

I don't think it'll affect us that much and I surmise most users of Aeroplan simply hoard their miles and don't know what to do with them, short of redeeming for TVs and the like.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Plumber
The issue is that there is x Billion points sitting out there waiting to be redeemed. Many, many people will now expedite those redemptions to get maximum value (ie before AP is forced into only a market -fare based redemption system. I believe it will now be more difficult to redeem over the next 3 years.
Agreed. We may see a 'run' on points, similar to the 'run' on the bank Home Capital Group experienced recently. If everyone rushes to redeem all their points Aimia goes bankrupt, the liabilities on their books far exceed their cash and cash equivalents. As of Q1 2017 they had 2.2 billion of future liabilities and only $230 million of Cash and equivalents...

Edited to add: Doesn't matter if it's flights or merchandise - they simply can't pay for it all...

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by Sebring
I wonder if this is a ploy by AC to buy out Aimia at a deep discount. I'm not a securities lawyer so I have no idea whether they could get away with it. AC could then spin off the management of non-airline programs.
Hhhhmmmmm! Interesting point. I guess only time will tell.

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
You guys with like 1mil points hoarded (who didn't participate in EYW)... WHAT?!

My current balance? 31k. I never keep more than I need at once in the account, if I can help it. Earn 'em and burn 'em! Any other strategy is insane.
2MM

Lifetime status

Any speculation on how this will affect lifetime accumulation and status?
Old May 11, 2017, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I am. I smell an Air Miles equivalent post 2020, and we all know how poorly Air Miles is doing in their effort to extract additional revenue from its cardmembers as of late.
Be careful. Aimia renewed the NCIB yesterday, so they are going to be backstopping the market today.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by 2MM
Any speculation on how this will affect lifetime accumulation and status?
It won't. Altitude will continue as normal, and those benefits are tied to that program. Effectively, it's based on AQM and that isn't tied to Aeroplan.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
On points transfer, from the FAQ:

Q: Will I be able to transfer my Aeroplan Miles into the new Air Canada program?

A: No. Aeroplan Miles earned up to June 2020 stay in the Aeroplan program and may be redeemed for Aeroplan Rewards. That said, Air Canada expects to continue making Air Canada flights available for Aeroplan redemption. Star Alliance partner rewards will only be available through the new Air Canada program.

My issue is that there is simply no way that I won't end up stranding 1m+ points. I have 1.5m now, even if I burn all those in the next 2-3 years, I will earn another 1-2m in the next 3 years. Assuming flying patters remain the same, any SE is going to strand at least 3 or 4 hundred thousands points (the amount they will earn in 2019). Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Not to mention that without AC I would imagine AE has a moderate chance of flat out going bankrupt, rendering all points worthless.

Either AC really truly doesn't care at all about how this impacts AE/AC/Altitude members, it is a ploy to drive AE into a market value of $1 so they can be bought cheaply, or they just didn't think this through...
Old May 11, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
What SHOULD happen in a new program:

Fixed mileage charts ( similar to present) with slightly more availability ( say 10%
instead of the current 8%) - but only available for redemption via points earned from
BIS flying.

All other points ( i.e. credit card, car rental, etc) -only can be used for market fare
rewards.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by IluvSQ

Fixed mileage charts ( similar to present) with slightly more availability ( say 10%
instead of the current 8%) - but only available for redemption via points earned from
BIS flying.

All other points ( i.e. credit card, car rental, etc) -only can be used for market fare
rewards.
Not sure I entirely disagree; but there would be no need to cap it at 10% because there would be so few redemptions (if cost for redemption remained as they are now) that they could just get rid of the restrictions entirely. The average SE wouldn't be able to afford even one J TPAC reward seat a year. Or maybe you think that is just problem solved!
Old May 11, 2017, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by IluvSQ

Fixed mileage charts ( similar to present) with slightly more availability ( say 10% instead of the current 8%) - but only available for redemption via points earned from BIS flying.

All other points ( i.e. credit card, car rental, etc) -only can be used for market fare rewards.
Why? That would significantly reduce the price they could sell the miles to the credit card programs (any everyone else), pisses off customers who think they are saving miles for a big trip, and over complicates a program they are trying to simplify.

0% chance that happens, and that's a good thing.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:10 am

It's already influencing my spend decisions.

I was going to buy Mrs ITAG an unlimited NA flight pass at $10k for next several flights. I'll burn off 1KK miles instead, knowing it will reset in December.

She'll hit SE mid-summer too. So I'll use her new SE 1KK status to burn off her miles to book flights for me, that I would otherwise spend on. I was going to buy an unlimited NA 3 month pass at $21K for the fall but will likely do that via points.

So I figure that's $45,000 in spend I might not give Air Canada unless they do something.

Last edited by InTheAirGuy; May 11, 2017 at 8:13 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.