Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ-TXL (on AC Rouge) Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

YYZ-TXL (on AC Rouge) Questions

I usually like to have a plan B as you really need to take care of yourself these days especially with air travel and we are a family 5 with 3 young children.

My itinerary for June 13, 2017 is:
AC 172 YEG (15:20)-YYZ (20:59)
AC 1966 YYZ (23:30)-TXL (13:35)

1. I tried Googling but does anyone know AC Rouge's on time performance?
2. Would anyone know what flight would be the one prior to the YYZ-TXL route? If i knew that, i could probably check earlier to see if my YYZ-TXL flight would be delayed and have a plan of attack. The flight was also originally departing at 22:30 and AC changed it to 23:30 so i am wondering how tight of a flight schedule AC Rouge has.
3. Obviously YYZ is Rouge's hub but does AC Rouge actually have a spare aircraft or are their schedules tight? If there is a "spare" then i would feel better about a delay or "maintenance" issue with the aircraft.
4. My only other option if there is a major delay or cancellation of flight AC 1966 is to get on flight AC 858 YYZ-LHR and connect to TXL from there. This is assuming that i cannot get anything changed prior to departing YEG. Does anyone know of any other option of getting to Europe while arriving so late into YYZ?
5. The YYZ-TXL flight will only be 2 weeks old so i'm not sure how to check the on time performance besides keeping an eye with flightradar24 or flightaware. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

If anyone has some other proactive tips, i would really appreciate it.
Old May 1, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by LO 044
I usually like to have a plan B as you really need to take care of yourself these days especially with air travel and we are a family 5 with 3 young children.

My itinerary for June 13, 2017 is:
AC 172 YEG (15:20)-YYZ (20:59)
AC 1966 YYZ (23:30)-TXL (13:35)

1. I tried Googling but does anyone know AC Rouge's on time performance?
2. Would anyone know what flight would be the one prior to the YYZ-TXL route? If i knew that, i could probably check earlier to see if my YYZ-TXL flight would be delayed and have a plan of attack. The flight was also originally departing at 22:30 and AC changed it to 23:30 so i am wondering how tight of a flight schedule AC Rouge has.
3. Obviously YYZ is Rouge's hub but does AC Rouge actually have a spare aircraft or are their schedules tight? If there is a "spare" then i would feel better about a delay or "maintenance" issue with the aircraft.
4. My only other option if there is a major delay or cancellation of flight AC 1966 is to get on flight AC 858 YYZ-LHR and connect to TXL from there. This is assuming that i cannot get anything changed prior to departing YEG. Does anyone know of any other option of getting to Europe while arriving so late into YYZ?
5. The YYZ-TXL flight will only be 2 weeks old so i'm not sure how to check the on time performance besides keeping an eye with flightradar24 or flightaware. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

If anyone has some other proactive tips, i would really appreciate it.
If you're travelling with 3 young children, despite the later departure, the extra hour of connection time should give you a comfortable buffer and put your mind at ease.

A 23:30 departure is probably one of Rouge's latest (if not the latest) from YYZ, hence, most incoming 767 aircraft should be on the ground ready for the TXL departure. Most airlines don't have "spares" sitting around - simply put, idle aircraft don't generate revenue. There's no way of knowing at this point in time which flight/aircraft will be the incoming/turnaround rotation.

One can't prepare for every eventuality, but given the allowable time for connection, the ease of baggage being checked through, and the late departure, you should be fine.
Old May 1, 2017, 8:18 am
Original Poster

I'm not so worried about the connection time at YYZ as i am about the aircraft being delayed and our departure time from YYZ becoming 2:00 in the morning.

Browsing through AC's schedule i see a BUD-YYZ flight arriving at 16:30, an ATH-YYZ flight arriving at 17:00 and a TXL-YYZ flight arriving at 18:00. There are a couple of Dublin flights arriving earlier that day as well. I'm assuming that 5.5 hours is more than enough to turnaround a 767 but i do wonder why AC changed the YYZ-TXL flight departure time from 22:30 to 23:30. My first assumption is that the time between the YYZ-TXL leg and the leg prior is short so they bumped the flight to 23:30. I don't know for whom a 23:30 departure time would be advantageous.
Old May 1, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Plan B, Plan C and Plan D (Plan D as in .............use DELTA) is a great idea with Rouge, or any other Air Canada flight. The extra hour should be ok, but absolutely purchase the seat selection and print your boarding pass at home/on the phone.

In the event of any Air Canada "funny business" you should IMMEDIATELY start waving your cell phone around and record as much as possible. This is the only thing they fear.
Old May 1, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
I'm assuming that 5.5 hours is more than enough to turnaround a 767 but i do wonder why AC changed the YYZ-TXL flight departure time from 22:30 to 23:30. My first assumption is that the time between the YYZ-TXL leg and the leg prior is short so they bumped the flight to 23:30. I don't know for whom a 23:30 departure time would be advantageous.
Or the flight could have come in from Lima that morning, or Bogota, or been in the hanger for 32 hours....

Any number of reasons they could have changed the flight by an hour. Increased connection possibilities, added buffer for connections, aircraft rotations, gate availability at either YYZ or TXL (two very busy airports).

Think of the extra hour connection time as a bonus to alleviate your travel concerns.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I'm not so worried about the connection time at YYZ as i am about the aircraft being delayed and our departure time from YYZ becoming 2:00 in the morning.
What will you do if it is 2:00am? It's not like there is another choice. AC won't put you on a flight through LHR if the direct flight is delayed but not cancelled. It seems a little strange to be worried about this.

I'd be more worried about the YEG flight being delayed and missing the connection when it leaves on time.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

I'm not worried about the YEG flight. If there is a delay prior to boarding, i'll ask to fly to FRA (18:00 departure from YYC) or LHR (20:10 departure from YYC) instead.

What makes you so sure that AC won't put me on the YYZ-LHR flight? Sometimes it just depends on how you ask the question instead of ranting and raving at the agent. Originally, my flight was YEG-YYC-YYZ-TXL. The YEG-YYC leg was altered but a later flight from YYC to YYZ would have worked. Still i asked nicely if i could fly direct to YYZ and avoid YYC and AC made it happen for no fee. Then they bumped the YYZ-TXL flight from 22:30 to 23:30 so i asked for a later flight into YYZ as i didn't feel like spending 4.5 hours at YYZ and AC made it happen for no fee. No negotiations, no arguments. Maybe i lucked out i guess.

Now i understand that all the above goes out the window if a) the alternative flights are full or b) the YEG-YYZ or YYZ-TXL aircraft gets pulled over on the apron with a mechanical issue at which point time may be a factor for getting reassigned to another flight.

In terms of the multitude of possibilities, yes i understand that. There are many AC insiders on FT so i was hoping someone could give a YYZ-centric idea of the scheduling of AC Rouge or whether there are constant issues with scheduling.
Old May 1, 2017, 2:07 pm

I'm not worried about the YEG flight. If there is a delay prior to boarding, i'll ask to fly to FRA (18:00 departure from YYC) or LHR (20:10 departure from YYC) instead.

What makes you so sure that AC won't put me on the YYZ-LHR flight? Sometimes it just depends on how you ask the question instead of ranting and raving at the agent. Originally, my flight was YEG-YYC-YYZ-TXL. The YEG-YYC leg was altered but a later flight from YYC to YYZ would have worked. Still i asked nicely if i could fly direct to YYZ and avoid YYC and AC made it happen for no fee. Then they bumped the YYZ-TXL flight from 22:30 to 23:30 so i asked for a later flight into YYZ as i didn't feel like spending 4.5 hours at YYZ and AC made it happen for no fee. No negotiations, no arguments. Maybe i lucked out i guess.

Now i understand that all the above goes out the window if a) the alternative flights are full or b) the YEG-YYZ or YYZ-TXL aircraft gets pulled over on the apron with a mechanical issue at which point time may be a factor for getting reassigned to another flight.

In terms of the multitude of possibilities, yes i understand that. There are many AC insiders on FT so i was hoping someone could give a YYZ-centric idea of the scheduling of AC Rouge or whether there are constant issues with scheduling.
From the time of your original booking you've dropped one connection and added an hour of buffer time to another. So far everything's coming up roses.
Old May 1, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum

My point was, if you are in the boarding area for YYZ-TXL, BPs in hand, baggage loaded, and the flight is delayed, why would AC put you on YYZ-LHR? Or YYZ-FRA? At that point they plan to go, so I doubt they would rebook you.
Old May 1, 2017, 6:05 pm

AC operates a lot of Rouge flights to the US and Caribbean. The plane could also be coming from there. It's impossible to tell right now.

The day of departure, you could look at Flightaware and see where they say the plane is coming from. You can't always count on Flightaware -- sometimes it gets the planes mixed up, and sometimes AC will swap planes somewhere to try to minimize delays, sometimes causing a cascading effect through their schedule. But often Flightaware gets it right.

As mentioned above, AC won't rebook you if your flight is delayed, so there's not much you could do even if you did know there would be a delay. It's usually possible to get AC to change your flights if there's a schedule change, as you did.
Old May 1, 2017, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Well based on Air Canada's website https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ellations.html
If the Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge or Air Canada Express flight* you're travelling on is delayed, and you want to find another flight or cancel your remaining flight(s), you can: Search for an alternate flight to your destination (no change fees will apply)
I believe the above would apply to switching to the YYZ-LHR flight IF i arrive in YYZ and i see my flight departing with a 3 hour delay. Again i understand that if i am just boarding and the flight is delayed or cancelled i am hooped or if i get on the plane and we can't take off because of a "technical issue" then i am hooped.

I posted this just to get an idea of Options B and C if any exist. When you look at flight reviews for AC Rouge they are generally poor but more so with the Airbus 319 aircraft however i did notice some people annoyed at the delays as well. I would hope that AC Rouge has their crap together for the start of a new service but yes issues do occur. Also, the credit card i'm using has enough insurance to cover the outstanding issues.

One interesting thing is how your rights are protected leaving Canada if you fly with an EU airline. http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...r/index_en.htm Makes me think that if the price was similar, next time i will fly LH to get to Germany or KL from YEG. An added benefit i guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.