Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Flying AC in J; ICN or PVG better arrivals lounge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs

Speaking of lounges, I'm booking a trip to Asia and have the option of the originating leg from YVR to make landfall in either ICN or PVG. In both cases I'll be dealing with a 2-3 hour layover before my next flight.

Any suggestions as to which has the better lounge from an arrivals perspective? In both cases I would be flying AC in J. Thanks for your opinions.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If final destination is in China, surely the Asiana lounge in ICN will be better than the domestic Air China lounge in Shanghai. Assuming that the Chinese domestic leg leaves from PVG that is, rather than the other airport.

Last summer we had a complex itinerary that entailed going to Kunming, then Dalian then Seoul. We found that buying separate tickets, round trip Canada to ICN and then ICN-Kunming-Dalian-ICN (in business class) turned out to be quite a bit cheaper than flying to China with doestic legs in China, whether on same or separate tickets.

We gave ourselves three hours at ICN for the connection. We had access to the Korean lounge for the trip to Kunming. But when returning home we vidsited the Asiana one.

Matrix helped a lot finding good fares incidentally.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
The way things are going these days, furthest lounge from Pyongyang may be the best choice
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mapleg
The way things are going these days, furthest lounge from Pyongyang may be the best choice
Others may disagree, but I'm not too concerned about that at this point.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger
We found that buying separate tickets, round trip Canada to ICN and then ICN-Kunming-Dalian-ICN (in business class) turned out to be quite a bit cheaper than flying to China with doestic legs in China, whether on same or separate tickets.
Interesting that you should say - that's why I'm doing what I'm doing, also thanks to Matrix and the magic script.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Neither airport has an arrival lounge accessible by AC customers.
If you are departing in J class on your next flight, you can use the lounge
of the departing carrier. If KE or OZ from ICN, then yes - they have far better
lounge options than PVG. But it would be helpful to know which airline/destination
you are continuing onto, and in what class.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
At ICN, both KE and OZ lounges are good, with KE having better food and booze (Remy Martin XO,.. ).

And generally travellers avoid PVG for connecting due to constant delays caused by the military.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
ICN for sure, no question.

lol I remember a few years back I kept seeing North Korean missile testing and other stuff about them on TV and when I flew in, no one in Seoul was batting an eye and nothing was even on TV about it
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by SKYEG
ICN for sure, no question.

lol I remember a few years back I kept seeing North Korean missile testing and other stuff about them on TV and when I flew in, no one in Seoul was batting an eye and nothing was even on TV about it
the North had been a treath for over 60 years... ppl do loose interest and become comeplaceant after a while...

i had a friend transit through seoul 3 weeks ago and they had battle tanks doing drills near the airport...
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Others may disagree, but I'm not too concerned about that at this point.
I agree.

Originally Posted by SKYEG
....lol I remember a few years back I kept seeing North Korean missile testing and other stuff about them on TV and when I flew in, no one in Seoul was batting an eye and nothing was even on TV about it

Speaking of lounges and distance from ICN, this was fascinating. Dining seems to be better than the MLL.

Fascinating photos

http://loyaltylobby.com/2017/04/29/f...licopter-tour/
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
But it would be helpful to know which airline/destination you are continuing onto, and in what class.
Onward is NRT on OZ J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.