Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC: Dad, 2 young kids ordered off Air Canada plane after mother turned away at gate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC: Dad, 2 young kids ordered off Air Canada plane after mother turned away at gate

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I dont understand how the checkin agent 'didnt catch' the mistake and issued a boarding pass.
How does a boarding pass get issued without a paid-for ticket? This is where AC is full of crap. If there was no ticket, no boarding pass would have been possible.
Pax might have had a BP issued with the "COUPON REQUIRED" mention or something similar. I have had that happen in the past. Not fun when you have no clue what that means.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Mauricio23
4 IDBs is hardly "taking AC to the cleaners" - and after lawyer fees the family would be left with nothing. This is why airlines get away with murder. End IDB (or set it at $50,000, same thing), and they will start dancing to a different tune.
For the amount they are seeking, neither AC or the family is entitled to use a lawyer under Québec law, which is the governing law of all pax contracts with AC.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by skybluesea
Simple, CBC is reporting on something insignificant, and I'm calling them out. And strangers already pointed out the lack of factual reporting so let's focus on what AirCanada might be doing soon instead of this trivial nonsense.

And if you wish to call me out, then you should've contacted the moderator, but now that you've challenged me please read my post carefully as it would appear you wish to ignore the context in which the story needs to be put
Insignificant for you and me perhaps. We deal with travel mishaps more often given our flying. However for the family arriving at their destination 24hrs late and going thru the stress this is not insignificant.
CBC keeps reporting this story because it is topical for most Canadians and their click thru rates must be sky high otherwise why would they bother. And they did have another travel story about Sunwing a couple of days back so there is that.
Yes, AC does do good deeds and I am happy to praise them when warranted. However not sure how we can focus on what AC 'might' be doing soon re a N Korea conflict that might or might not happen.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by skybluesea
I am curious what level of precision do people expect for an airline that in 2015 carried 41 million passengers.

Even an error rate of .0001%, only translates into a few thousand people affected, of course not pleasant for those impacted, but come on what do you really want to have happen here.
Actually it would be 41 people to pick a nit.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by echino
AA not reissuing tickets correctly happened not once, but three separate times to me, so I tend to believe some sort of AA screw up is involved in the story.

Last time it happened to me when I was flying AA the next morning, but the flight was cancelled, and in the evening before the flight AA rebooked me on WestJet flight. I wake up in the morning and before going to the airport I check my reservation and see it was cancelled. Turns out AA did not reissue the tickets and WestJet cancelled the unticketed reservation. It was a major stress to get the tickets reinstated just a couple of hours before the flight.

The OP story seems to be a result of a technical issue of two airlines not properly working together - a very common issue. And then nobody takes responsibility and points fingers at each other.
The last time I had AA move me to a AC flight in YYZ transborder I had them issue me a paper coupon so there was no chance of an issue with AC. I had no desire to change from term 3 to term 1 and back again if there was a screw up.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pewpew
So I've heard several people on this forum claim it's an AA issue.

On one hand, this is a vague sentence that can mean anything. On the other hand, improperly issuing an eticket would constitute wrongdoing imo, so I'll assume AA is telling the truth and it's not their fault.

Additionally, if it is an AA issue, AC itself acknowledges that it's no blameless:

Regardless of who caused this pax to be unable to be boarded, how do you defend AC's pulling off already-boarded pax because one member of their travel party -- who allegedly was okay with being left behind -- is left behind?
There are 3 issues I see here.

1) Whose booking error it is? AA or AC. This can be demonstrated fairly easily in Court.

2) Did the family voluntarily give up their seats or were they ordered off the plane? Talking to the 3rd party present on the plane, that is other pax could clear this up. If AC lies...well, it won't e pretty to be AC apologists.

3) Did AC break the law on DOT rule re: IDB compensation?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
(4) Why is it so easy to foul up ticketing? What can be done on the IT side of things to reduce the errors?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Once again the stupid reporter says that USA DOT regulations require that AC pay $1350 each as IDB compensation. That's incorrect and, in fact, it would have been so easy for that "journalist" to check the actual rules. In this case, the reporter even seems to "copy" the compensation portion of the rule correctly and then nevertheless says that they're entitled to $1350 each. What happened to basic reading comprehension?
And basic accurate reporting, fact checking?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smallmj
(4) Why is it so easy to foul up ticketing? What can be done on the IT side of things to reduce the errors?
In this instance, it's not a straightforward ticketing issue. Might be an FIM?

If the issuing agent does not do it right, the receiving airline may never get paid.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I dont understand how the checkin agent 'didnt catch' the mistake and issued a boarding pass.
How does a boarding pass get issued without a paid-for ticket? This is where AC is full of crap. If there was no ticket, no boarding pass would have been possible.

Everytime I get rebooked on AC from another airline, there is a complicated checkin process that takes 20 minutes and has to be handled by the agent, and by some back-room security bs, since its a last minute full Y/J booking usually that I didnt pay for

In any case, the more bad press on AC, the better.
Originally Posted by jasdou
Pax might have had a BP issued with the "COUPON REQUIRED" mention or something similar. I have had that happen in the past. Not fun when you have no clue what that means.
Exactly. It's very easy to get a boarding pass printed without a valid ticket.

Go get a TA to create a reservation for later today without ticketing it. You can check in and get a boarding pass.

My E75K friend was denied boarding for this reason on a 014 ticket booked through AC.com with all AC flights, and modified through reservations. Compensation was 5k miles for him, and 5k for me (I chose to not board without him; we were on one PNR but my coupon was properly attached to the segment).

I find AC agents never notice COUPON REQUIRED when they're printing BPs, but it's something I always look for to ensure my travel goes smoothly.

That being said, I find it's pretty rare for AC to come out and say "no, that's not what happened", so I'm curious.

From what I see, nothing prior to boarding the plane was AC's fault (though they could have caught and corrected it), but it's really going to come down to how and why they were "ordered off" the plane.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by Stranger
In this instance, it's not a straightforward ticketing issue. Might be an FIM?

If the issuing agent does not do it right, the receiving airline may never get paid.
This. And if the receiving airline might not get paid, why should they take the chance. No businesses would be willing to swallow that. The only thing is the AC agents could have done a better job providing nothing for the family while apologizing to the family that there was nothing that could be done until AA issues the FIM properly (or attaching the electronic coupons properly). There, problem is back with the originating airline and no PR hit.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by YYT82
Uh, I think you misunderstood what I meant. I meant that if AC believes they did nothing wrong, then they should really do nothing for the customers. But there is a persuasive way to talk to the customers and make them think that the agents have tried everything they could. Asian airlines are exceptional at this, and at the end of the do-nothing, you would feel bad to even get angry at them.
I understood you completely.

Doing nothing for the customer in some situations is entirely appropriate - as I think may be the case in this situation - but you do have to make the customer feel that they are getting the best service possible, even if they are completely in the wrong!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Northern Canuck
CBC doesn't need a major story about AC. AC is already done in the minds of a lot, if not majority, of Canadians. We are now at the point where the gov't has to get involved to protect the consumer because AC could care less..
Love the slip there (bolded)

Maybe all these news stories will lower AC usage and then AC will drop their prices?

Is it just me or is that picture of the AC kiosks with the lady in green and two blokes from at least one previous post. Are CBC just re-using the same image?!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:31 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Low Roller
I noticed that it's the same reporter on alot of these stories. Looking to make a name for herself?
Issues of accuracy and fact checking aside, there are probably a couple issues at play here:

* Her "beat" includes either Air Canada or travel in general. Most newspapers assign reporters to beats so that they can become mini-authorities in a particular area. It keeps reporters from having to learn a new subject with every single story they report.
* People read her stories and then reach out to share their own experiences.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Issues of accuracy and fact checking aside, there are probably a couple issues at play here:

* Her "beat" includes either Air Canada or travel in general. Most newspapers assign reporters to beats so that they can become mini-authorities in a particular area. It keeps reporters from having to learn a new subject with every single story they report.
* People read her stories and then reach out to share their own experiences.
True, but she may also be trolling social media for people complaining to their friends about AC and contacting them to see if they want to go public. I guess that qualifies as research.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.