Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AP schedule change - should I bother changing?

Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:49 am
F 1
Original Poster

Hi everyone. AP changed my itinerary and I'm curious to know if I should be concerned and request a later connection, or just let it be.

FLL - YYZ - YVR.

Original itinerary was AC1623 connecting to AC123.

AC1623 has been rescheduled to depart 55 mins later, reducing my connection time to 1h23 mins.

93 minutes is above MCT but i'm debating if I should give myself more buffer and ask AP if I can change from AC123 to AC185, extending my connection time by 30 minutes to 1h53mins.

I've never done transborder US-Canada via YYZ before and unfamiliar with how long the queues generally are, hence the apprehension. It's possibly no big deal and 93 mins is safe enough but i'd appreciate some input for the peace of mind. Or should I call AP and ask for the change (if they even agree to it). We have Nexus and checked baggage if that makes a difference.

Many thanks.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:12 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Is it 83 or 93? (You say 1:23 in one place). Either way it's over MCT, but the 10 minutes could matter.

And is "we" you and a significant other, you and a friend, you + SO + kid(s)?

I'd book that for myself with carry-on no problem. But if I had others to manage along the way, especially if they were children, I might think twice about it.

Ultimately, if something goes wrong, as long as this is one ticket, it's AC's problem to re-book you.

But it depends on your styles too. If you and your companion(s) travel like a well-oiled machine and at high pace, it's a different answer than if they take time to get in gear and so on.

If getting seats split up when being re-booked or possible luggage SNAFUs are a big deal, make it a longer connection.

​​​​​​​And so on..
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
No guarantee how long Canada Customs will take.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Bartolo
No guarantee how long Canada Customs will take.
With NEXUS, less than 5 minutes can be expected.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am with Adam in this. Why giving up without even trying. I always go for the shortest legal connection.

Incidentally, even if they issue a ticket with a connection below the MCT, it's supposed to be their problem. MCT is an internal ticketing requirement. Although AC has apparently on occasion taken a different view, with mixed results from the CTA.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:16 am
F 1
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Is it 83 or 93? (You say 1:23 in one place). Either way it's over MCT, but the 10 minutes could matter.

And is "we" you and a significant other, you and a friend, you + SO + kid(s)?

I'd book that for myself with carry-on no problem. But if I had others to manage along the way, especially if they were children, I might think twice about it.

Ultimately, if something goes wrong, as long as this is one ticket, it's AC's problem to re-book you.

But it depends on your styles too. If you and your companion(s) travel like a well-oiled machine and at high pace, it's a different answer than if they take time to get in gear and so on.

If getting seats split up when being re-booked or possible luggage SNAFUs are a big deal, make it a longer connection.

​​​​​​​And so on..
Good advice, thanks. Sorry about the confusion. I meant 83 mins. The original booking gave us a 2h18 min connection time. The revised itinerary allows for a 1h23min connection. But if I can change from AC123 to AC185, that will give us 1h53 mins. Everything is on one ticket.

I'll be travelling with my SO. I know she won't want our seats split up. And I know I'll be ticked if the baggage misses the connection.

Ok - Now that I've talked this out in my head, I'll phone and ask for a switch. Good call. ^
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
As long as I'm not connecting for the last flight of the day, I favour a short connection.

If the connection is for 11pm and the next flight is 7am; I would try and get an earlier flight.

You list YVR as home, so I'm assuming you are on a passport/visa that makes entering Canada quick and easy (or, as mentioned Nexus) and you won't risk waiting in the visitor line for an hour.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:50 am
F 1
Original Poster

That's correct, YVR is home. With Nexus, I don't anticipate customs to take very long, but I seem to have bad luck whenever transiting through YYZ.

Admittedly, i'm less concerned about myself and my SO making the flight as I am about our baggage.

If we missed our current connection, there are 3 or 4 other flights that night AC could technically rebook us on. However, we are zero-status passengers on AP reward tickets. With my luck, I suspect they will place us on the last flight 4 hours later and we won't arrive home until past midnight, without bags, having been seated apart. And my SO will somehow blame me. But I digress.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by F 1
[...] but I seem to have bad luck whenever transiting through YYZ.
It's not bad luck, just YYZ.

(Actually our perception -admittedly anecdotal- has been that it has improved. Of course that on most itineraries one no longer has to wait for luggage helps quite a bit.)
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:52 pm
F 1
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the input. I phoned AP and it was answered immediately ( ). The agent was great and instantly moved me to AC185. Easy peasy.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by F 1
Thanks again for all the input. I phoned AP and it was answered immediately ( ). The agent was great and instantly moved me to AC185. Easy peasy.
With that sort of luck you might have a few hours in the lounge. Now whether having hours in the YYZ Dom lounge can be considered luck depends a great deal on ones point of view.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.