Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Joining Air Canada Aeroplan vs other Star Alliance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Hello,

I recently changed jobs and now have a position that will see me traveling about 20% of my time.

I've been a long time Aeroplan member but never flew Air Canada frequently enough to get any benefit from it.

Now that I'm going go be doing a lot more travel I've been looking into the various Star Alliance rewards programs as most my flights will originate in Toronto and thus will likely be on Air Canada. I've asked my colleagues and they do enough travel that they typically qualify for Altitude 50K and in some years Altitude 75K.

Since I'm such a newbie to this frequently flier world I though I'd reach out to the more experienced for advice on rewards programs.

On the face of it, Asiana looks like a better program as you accumulate points over 2 years and the duration of membership is 2 years. Therefore I could reach Star Alliance Gold status more quickly and keep it longer. Asiana also appears to give you the equivalent of a lifetime Star Alliance Gold membership once you hit a running total of 500,000 miles.

What I'm less sure about is what perks I'd be giving up by not going with Air Canada given I'll be flying out of Toronto exclusively.

ie- will it be harder for me to use my Asiana points to redeem them on an AC flight?

Will I miss out on the little surprise upgrades if I'm not an Air Canada Aeroplan member? (ie does Air Canada not really care if I'm a Star Alliance Gold member and only reward those on the Aeroplan program)?

Appreciate any advice.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:19 am

It may be beneficial to state what routes you would be flying mostly. ie Within Canada, Transborder, Asia????
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Where is most of your travel to?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:55 am
Original Poster

My travel will probably be 65% North America 20% Europe, 10% Asia and 5% South America.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
If you are not travelling domestic, you are not trapped by Aeroplan.

Join one of the US programes, far better and faster accumulation on work-paid tickets, especially shorthaul. Far superior elite benefits at the mid-tier level.

If you are flying on Air Canada, and will not reach Super Elite - you are best off with Mileage Plus UA.

All fares accumulate 100% elite qualifying miles, award tickets are much cheaper, and status does not have a spend requirement.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by CoryTrevor
Hello,

I recently changed jobs and now have a position that will see me traveling about 20% of my time.

I've been a long time Aeroplan member but never flew Air Canada frequently enough to get any benefit from it.

Now that I'm going go be doing a lot more travel I've been looking into the various Star Alliance rewards programs as most my flights will originate in Toronto and thus will likely be on Air Canada. I've asked my colleagues and they do enough travel that they typically qualify for Altitude 50K and in some years Altitude 75K.

Since I'm such a newbie to this frequently flier world I though I'd reach out to the more experienced for advice on rewards programs.

On the face of it, Asiana looks like a better program as you accumulate points over 2 years and the duration of membership is 2 years. Therefore I could reach Star Alliance Gold status more quickly and keep it longer. Asiana also appears to give you the equivalent of a lifetime Star Alliance Gold membership once you hit a running total of 500,000 miles.

What I'm less sure about is what perks I'd be giving up by not going with Air Canada given I'll be flying out of Toronto exclusively.

ie- will it be harder for me to use my Asiana points to redeem them on an AC flight?

Will I miss out on the little surprise upgrades if I'm not an Air Canada Aeroplan member? (ie does Air Canada not really care if I'm a Star Alliance Gold member and only reward those on the Aeroplan program)?

Appreciate any advice.
I was considering Asiana as well, as I can hit 40,000 miles in just over 1 year, however within North America Asiana Club members don't earn any miles for Tango fares, and only 50% miles for low flex (G & W). I haven't done the calculations, but it seems I'd be cutting it very close on making 40,000 in 2 years due to this rule.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
In my opinion, it depends on how you value frequent flyer status benefits vs. award ticket redemption. There are other *A programs that are much easier to reach & retain Star Alliance Gold status in, but in general they are also much worse for redeeming award tickets.

It also matters whether your expected usage of award tickets is mostly domestic/NA or whether you will potentially use things like the mini-RTW which despite devaluation remains one of the best deals going in any FF program for redemption. The trouble is some people will pitch Aeroplan talking about the CPM they get redeeming mini-RTW in F but the person they are pitching it to just wants to fly to Goose Bay to see grandma.

United is a good compromise program that will get you *G benefits as well as a decent award chart, but IMO if you are going to fly mostly AC metal then AC E50 is worth it for the upgrade credits - if you fly the right fares/routes to use them.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CoryTrevor Welcome to FT

Now that I'm going go be doing a lot more travel I've been looking into the various Star Alliance rewards programs....
<snip>
<snip>
What are your objectives from a ffp?
Frequent upgrades are unlikely to happen with any airline and/or ffp.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Mostly North American means you could do one of the US programs or AC. My opinion is look at where you are flying and how you want to get there.

If you are going to mostly be sitting on AC planes, and especially if "North America" includes some Canadian travel, you should look at staying with AC since you get some benefits aside from *G in terms of e-upgrades.

If "North America" means mostly the US then you can and should consider one of the US FFA programs for the reasons rankourabu outlines.

As others have noted some of the other overseas *A carriers programs may be able to get you *G easier but either they have some requirements for flying on their metal that you may not like, you'll almost never be able to use your status for upgrades and/or your awards redemption is sometimes limited. Plus if you fly enough to get E*50 on AC you've got *G every year anyway, which does make a difference when flying on partner airlines.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Hello,

Appreciate any advice.
My word of advice, would be to join the FF program of the airline that works the best for you.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:07 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
My word of advice, would be to join the FF program of the airline that works the best for you.
Really? I hope you didn't charge him for that advice.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who has replied, I appreciate your advice. Out of the 65% North American travel I'll be doing, I'd say 2/3rds would be to the US and 1/3 within Canada.

I'm too much of a noob to know what I want out of a FFP (status vs free flights). Well okay...I know what I want....both as quickly as possible. Lol

I'd normally just have signed up to Air Canada but a friend who frequently travels Air Canada did some research and signed up to Turkish Airlines FFP in the end as *G is easier to get and keep (starting to learn your abbreviations).

I've browsed various sites before coming across this forum and the names that frequently came up as the best FFPs were Asiana, Aegean, Turkish and UA. Nobody seems to be bragging about Air Canada's FFP which had me hesitant.

Given I'll probably be flying mostly Air Canada is the consenus that it's probably still the best choice even if it's not the best FFP?

As a last point my colleague pointed out that he's sitting on a mountain of unused e-upgrade points. When he flies for personal reasons he does what most people do and selects the cheapest fare, which isn't eligible for upgrade. For him to use the points he'd need to spend on average $400 more for a higher fare class which doesn't feel worth it to him.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Noone mentions Aeroplan/AC Altitude because its the pits of frequent flyer programs (while its still a decent canadian credit card rewards program)

It really depends on the fare your work will be buying for you.
If they are cheap (tango) fares - careful - most wont earn much on Turkish, and status wont come fast when youre earning 25% or 50%. Only United still gives 100% status miles on all fares between Canada and the USA.
If they are expensive, last minute, business or latitude fares - you are best off with United for the insane mileage earning on expensive tickets, (or Aeroplan if you want/depend on domestic upgrades)

Redeeming with TK for award flights is also not a pleasant experience, and fees are high.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: TK*G, AC
Originally Posted by rankourabu
If they are cheap (tango) fares - careful - most wont earn much on Turkish, and status wont come fast when youre earning 25% or 50%.
It's worse than that; Tango fares (classes S,T,L,A,C,K,W,G) actually earn zero on TK within Canada and between Canada and the US, so, unless you're consistently flying Flex, TK might not be the best program for you.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tifosi
It's worse than that; Tango fares (classes S,T,L,A,C,K,W,G) actually earn zero on TK within Canada and between Canada and the US, so, unless you're consistently flying Flex, TK might not be the best program for you.
So I guess UAMP is the only program offering 100% qualifying miles on AC Tango to the USA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.