Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Joining Air Canada Aeroplan vs other Star Alliance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Joining Air Canada Aeroplan vs other Star Alliance

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by rankourabu
It's on very few domestic routes, routes the OP will never fly.
Basic Economy has been expanded to over a 100 cities. Basic Economy has now become a issue for the low fare pax.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Basic Economy has been expanded to over a 100 cities. Basic Economy has now become a issue for the low fare pax.
Name one Canadian city it has expanded to. Name one route that the OP would encounter this on.

Stop posting irrelevant nonsense to push your AC rah rah agenda on people.
Besides the OP has clearly said he/she will be flying AC due to work policies.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Name one Canadian city it has expanded to. Name one route that the OP would encounter this on.

Stop posting irrelevant nonsense to push your AC rah rah agenda on people.
Besides the OP has clearly said he/she will be flying AC due to work policies.
You must be the only UA flyer not thinking this is a bad thing. It's the talk in the Chicago UA lounge today. I guess you think all Canadian ' s flying UA only fly direct flights? Plus, UA is expanding basic economy to international routes later this year or early next year.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
You must be the only UA flyer not thinking this is a bad thing. It's the talk in the Chicago UA lounge today. I guess you think all Canadian ' s flying UA only fly direct flights? Plus, UA is expanding basic economy to international routes later this year or early next year.
I ve flown 4 UA flights this year (8 last year), and have no plans for more.
Are you that dense or do you not understand that UA is simply the best Star program for crediting premium fares and transborder Tango fares? Can IAH-YYZ earn you 16115 miles one-way with Aeroplan or 100% on Tango?

Also, have zero clue how these fares work. DL and AA (pioneers in basic economy) have not introduced Canadian basic economy fares. Also, there is no basic economy buckets on connecting flights ex-Canada, YYZ-ORD-LAX will have zero chance of basic economy even if ORD-LAX is a basic economy market.

Add to it, the OP already stated he/she will be flying AC.

Add to it, basic economy is only buyable via united.com - and the OP is booking thru work travel agent....
Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:12 pm
Suspended

I ve flown 4 UA flights this year (8 last year), and have no plans for more.
Are you that dense or do you not understand that UA is simply the best Star program for crediting premium fares and transborder Tango fares? Can IAH-YYZ earn you 16115 miles one-way with Aeroplan or 100% on Tango?

Also, have zero clue how these fares work. DL and AA (pioneers in basic economy) have not introduced Canadian basic economy fares. Also, there is no basic economy buckets on connecting flights ex-Canada, YYZ-ORD-LAX will have zero chance of basic economy even if ORD-LAX is a basic economy market.

Add to it, the OP already stated he/she will be flying AC.

Add to it, basic economy is only buyable via united.com - and the OP is booking thru work travel agent....
I hit a nerve? Classy personal attack.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AC, VIPorter, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Other question - where do you put your CC spend? The reason I avoid MP is because there's no easy way to get additional mileage in Canada. I like to combine my CC spend with flight spend and use that for rewards. I don't want to split those. If you're already putting your CC somewhere else though, probably no big deal.
$18,667 spent on SPG AmEx = 18,667 SPG = 56,000 Marriott = 25,000 UA

(Of course, this may change next year when the SPG and MR programs merge)
Old May 4, 2017, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for resurrecting this thread I just wanted to check my understanding of what you've all told me.

So if I'm reading this thread correctly it sounds like:

A) I'll likely get to *G status quicker on UA than on AC given UA's 100% qualifying miles policy on AC flights between Canada and US vs AC's 50% qualifying miles policy on the same STALK fare classes?

B) Award miles redemptions on UA seem better than on AC?

C) the downside of not going with AC is that I won't earn eUpgrade credits (which I understand can only be used on flexible fares and upwards).

If I've got the above correct, it sounds like UA is the better bet given my likely travel schedule from YYZ (12 round trip flights to NYC on Tango, 1 biz class to Asia with multiple legs, 1 biz class to Europe).

Is there anything I'm not considering?

ie if you're an 50K member on AC would you get bumped up in class as a surprise now and then but this wouldn't get this if you were Premier Gold on UA flying AC metal? Or are free surprise upgrades a thing of the past?
Old May 4, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by CoryTrevor
Sorry for resurrecting this thread I just wanted to check my understanding of what you've all told me.

So if I'm reading this thread correctly it sounds like:

A) I'll likely get to *G status quicker on UA than on AC given UA's 100% qualifying miles policy on AC flights between Canada and US vs AC's 50% qualifying miles policy on the same STALK fare classes?

Correct.

B) Award miles redemptions on UA seem better than on AC?

It depends. There are no carrier surcharges but the routing rules are less flexible and there are more miles required for some types of redemptions.

C) the downside of not going with AC is that I won't earn eUpgrade credits (which I understand can only be used on flexible fares and upwards).

If I've got the above correct, it sounds like UA is the better bet given my likely travel schedule from YYZ (12 round trip flights to NYC on Tango, 1 biz class to Asia with multiple legs, 1 biz class to Europe).

Is there anything I'm not considering?

ie if you're an 50K member on AC would you get bumped up in class as a surprise now and then but this wouldn't get this if you were Premier Gold on UA flying AC metal? Or are free surprise upgrades a thing of the past?

Current AC policy is no upgrades except using credits, paying $ or for operational reasons.
Old May 4, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
TreverCore. I think the way to look at it is the opposite to some of the prior advice.

Where do you want to use the accumulated points to visit? If you want to go to Europe then Lufthansa, if you want to go to Asia then Asiana. If you want to go to Greece then Aegean. If you want to go to the South Pacific Air NZ..........you get my drift.

The one benefit I would say Aeroplan does have is the ability to accrue non flight miles quite easily in Canada. Esso will allow you to earn points with them as you fuel up your car.

Now, I wish I had followed my own advice but when I signed up I was a noob and was flying on AC metal a lot, it made sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.