Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC: 'Appalling': Woman bumped from Air Canada flight misses $10,000 Galapagos cruise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC: 'Appalling': Woman bumped from Air Canada flight misses $10,000 Galapagos cruise

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by eigenvector
So if airlines stop being able to bump off grandma to make room for SEs & last-minute Latitude fares, it's the low-fare pax who will feel it? If so, why do you even care - you are not a low-fare pax, are you?

I'm Entitled To My Entitlements - David Dingwall - YouTube
Actual, I don't really care. I have had my few battles with AC, but the end of the day, AC has been very good to me.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fiordland
I thought the "reason" for over booking were all these Y fully refundable tickets and people not showing up. The guys buying the cheap tickets are paying for a seat, Air Canada makes the same if they show up or not. A more appropriate response would be to charge more for the Y refundable tickets, not the Tango tickets.

Taking your example of a restaurant or hotel this would be the same as pre-paying (on a non-refundable basis) and when you show up the hotel or restaurant say "Sorry, we know you already paid, and your showing up on time but we decided to give your room or table to someone else. However our of the goodness of our hart, we will serve you the dinner you already paid for tomorrow or in a couple of days depending on how we fell about you then." It does not work.
With hotels, It's called walking and it happens all the time.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
With hotels, It's called walking and it happens all the time.
You ever heard of a hotel that walked a prepaid reservation, didn't provide alternate accommodation for the night, kept the money and offered a stay the next day?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eigenvector
You ever heard of a hotel that walked a prepaid reservation, didn't provide alternate accommodation for the night, kept the money and offered a stay the next day?
I know hotels walk prepaid res and provide alternate accommodation well below the level of the hotel booked. It would be like AC providing bus service for oversold flight between Vancouver - Calgary.

Last edited by Wpgjetse; Apr 21, 2017 at 6:43 pm
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by epiphani

Except it's not. What if YYZ had been shut down for weather? She'd still miss her cruise - boats wait for no one.
But it wasn't shut down for weather. If that happened, it would be on her, but that didn't happen. Maybe it wasn't smart, but people who don't travel regularly don't know this stuff.

She paid for a ticket to get from Toronto to Miami. Air Canada didn't come through on their end and it appears didn't even try to offer compensation for others to volunteer. What other industry can get away with not holding up their end of a business transaction?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:09 pm

It may be prudent to go the day before, but that's due to things (especially weather, especially in winter) that are less than 100% within the airline's control.

Going the day before because the airline might IDB you is absurd.

This is all so ridiculous (on airlines' part). Stop screwing around with pathetic VDB offers. Give cash/cheque if you can't get enough volunteers, no more time-limited vouchers. Raise the price. There's no excuse for IDB in a non-Wx, non-Mx case.

The tips given here about how to avoid getting IDB'd are nice, and good things for individuals to use, but ultimately someone on that flight was going to get IDB'd. Hot tips from FT don't solve the root problem.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by yulred
Okay, put a warning on all fares. Let prospective buyers know upfront that other passengers "place a high value on refundable tickets", because of which overbooking "let's (AC) offer refundable tickets without losing a lot of money". Consequently, AC reserves the right to resell your ticket, for which you have already paid, to someone who paid a lot more for a refundable ticket he values more in order to enable AC to not lose a lot of money on a seat it's sold twice (if none of that makes sense, it's because it's probably not supposed to, given the inherent leap in the AC customer service plan's logic).

In such cases, your ticket for a specific flight (regardless of any premium you may have paid to select that particular flight) is meaningless, and your needs may or may not be accommodated.

Simple enough. It's not like AC gives a hoot about IDB'd folk; prior to CTA dictating higher IDB compensation, AC used to offer what - $100-$200? The rest - insurance, itineraries- is irrelevant since it only comes into play after AC stiffs a paying pax. Its kind of like blaming a shooting victim for not wearing a bulletproof vest. Point is - if someone hadn't pulled the trigger, none of this would have happened.

As for CBC - they interviewed the lady and gave AC a chance to respond. Perhaps they should load up on #alternativefacts to tell the "way more to the story" that you're claiming there is? I think it's plainly obvious that if AC hadn't IDB'd her, there would be no story here. All the other finger pointing is plain old obfuscation.
The warnings are already on all fares - it's just in the fine print. Should we put the warnings in size 19 font? Would people read it then?

Should we really live in a society where McDonalds and other vendors have to make common sense...known? While I would agree that many airline policies are not known to the flying public, at what point is it the passenger's responsibility to understand what they are paying?

I recently had to deep dive into the various insurance policies that I have, and at one point I managed to teach the insurer a thing or two after understanding the nuances of the policies. Why do I do this? In order to me to minimize risk should I need insurance.

My adjuster recently shared this with me. Why is it everyone cheaps out on liability insurance and then cries foul when they need it?

This same logic can be applied here. Yes, airline rules are difficult to understand and most passengers will cry to the CBC if they are wronged. Does that then mean customers can remain naive and cry foul when they are erred? Sure - that's what they are doing today.

Is that right? Well as per my post earlier today - it depends on your viewpoint on this manner about whose responsibility/fault it is.

These threads on FlyerTalk generally have the same theme, although it is nice to see various viewpoints not seen before as each thread like this pops up on the Air Canada forum.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
We are not talking about the case where the airline has to cancel a flight because of mechanical problems, a snow storm or a missed connection. We are talking about the case where they sell more seats than they have with the hope that some people are not going to show up.

As for hotels walking guests, yes they sometimes do that and I it equally wrong. A reason to never ever book into that hotel again.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by Guava

<snip> Insurance... <snip>

Not in this case. Given that her group leaves from MIA on a chartered plane and that her package includes the airfare, travel insurance would be of no help to get her to MIA on time to get on that chartered plane. Just because her AC flight was delayed due to weather, and you expect the insurance company to pay thousands of dollars to get her to a remote place in Ecuador where there are very few regularly scheduled commercial flights - I don't think so. At best, they would be willing to cover the commercial portion of her flights, that is to MIA. The chartered portion of her trip is likely out of luck.

Yes, they would cover her up to MIA, which doesn't guarantee she will get to MIA on time for her flying boat (aka. chartered plane).
Not to be pernickety, or go too far OT, but a "good" insurance policy absolutely would cover her costs to get her to a remote place in Ecuador IF the reason was weather, or mechanical delay.

As an example, my company contracts with Manulife. The packages are not cheap, but when it comes to insurance, there is definitely something to "you get what you pay for".

The insurance polices we use would cover all prepaid travel arrangements (irrespective of whether her AC flight was booked with Nat Geo, or independently) and under Missed Connection benefits, would have NO CAP on the cost to catch up with the itinerary (even if that cost $10k).

Likewise, if it were no longer practical to continue with the trip (for instance, would miss more than 30% of the total trip because of lack of flights etc) then the policy would cover a full refund of the unused travel arrangements in addition to a repatriation back home and all costs incurred therein.

However, for Involuntary Denied Boarding, the limitation is only $1,000 in additional costs as the assumption is that the airline will be in some way responsible for rebooking/reprotection.

I will say this thread prompted me to look at some fine print with both AC's passenger tariff on file with the CTA, as well as the IDB clauses in our insurance, and I actually did learn a few things from this discussion myself - which is always good

Last edited by SamuelS; Apr 21, 2017 at 7:53 pm
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin

This same logic can be applied here. Yes, airline rules are difficult to understand and most passengers will cry to the CBC if they are wronged. Does that then mean customers can remain naive and cry foul when they are erred? Sure - that's what they are doing today.

Is that right? Well as per my post earlier today - it depends on your viewpoint on this manner about whose responsibility/fault it is.
I actually have zero problem with airlines, cruise lines or hotels overbooking in principal, IF (emphasis) they have a very robust way to handle situations where not every customer with a seat/cabin/room can be accommodated.

I get it... this is AC, not WS, not DL, etc. But I go back to DL as an example.

Did DL score a bit of PR when taking advantage of UA's recent "drag-gate" when they announced they would go right up to $9,950 USD per passenger which could be offered by frontline staff to entice volunteers in an oversell situation? Sure, and it made for some nice news coverage for DL.

Fact remains though, that every DL GA can now offer up to $2500 per passenger without any supervisory or management intervention needed, with Red Coats and Supervisory staff able to go up to $9,950 per passenger. And this is not just restrictive vouchers, this can be delivered in the form of Amex gift cards which even the most occasional of flyers could be motivated to accept.

Is DL perfect? Of course not. Do I have issues on DL from time to time. Sure.

However I am fortunate to fly mostly transborder for my travel, and where I can choose from US or Canadian carriers... and I have a very high confidence level in DL doing the right thing "vast majority of the time" when things go wrong, compared to my experiences with AC.

Corporate policies like the recent increase to VDB amounts from DL, along with empowerment of frontline staff - go a huuuuuge way to avoiding the situations as reported in this thread.

DL has effectively said that they are aiming for virtually zero IDB as a result of the new policies. One can only hope that AC takes note of what some of the "other guys" are doing... @:-)
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by SamuelS
I actually have zero problem with airlines, cruise lines or hotels overbooking in principal, IF (emphasis) they have a very robust way to handle situations where not every customer with a seat/cabin/room can be accommodated.

I get it... this is AC, not WS, not DL, etc. But I go back to DL as an example.
Do you happen to know that DL overbooks more than UA and most likely changed their policy as a result of trying to get ahead of the bad press?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Do you happen to know that DL overbooks more than UA and most likely changed their policy as a result of trying to get ahead of the bad press?
Yes, DL does. But DL has also been ahead of the game with getting more volunteers than other carriers for a few years now, the latest issue with UA not withstanding.

"In 2014, about 96 of every 100,000 Delta fliers had to take a later flight because the plane was overbooked. This compared to 95 at United and 50 at American. But only three of every 100,000 Delta passengers were bumped involuntarily. United had to bump 11 and American, five. Multiplied out, Delta was able to get thousands more of its passengers to agree to stay behind and bumped thousands fewer passengers involuntarily versus United and American."

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-s...oking-flights/
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Once again I see the weak excuses offered for Air Canada that rely on a blaming of the consumer. However, it is reassuring to read the intelligent thoughtful comments from a diverse group of people who are obviously honest in their own personal dealings and who have an understanding of the concept of integrity and fair dealing. The manner in which the airline continues to manage these incidents speaks to a culture of contempt for the air passenger and an assumption of being beyond the reach of the injured party(s).
Originally Posted by ridefar
If I did this every time I had to fly some place important (and aren't they all important or I wouldn't be flying there) I would never get anywhere, or never get home, or only be able to go to half the places I visit.
Eloquently summarized for some of us. I don't have time to go early either, and even then when I do, I can miss my flights, On my last TPAC where I undertook a layover just to add a cushion, AC still managed to screw up my onward connections because the flight I arrived early for was delayed 5+ hours departing because of scheduling. I missed my connection.

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Some of the comments here disgust me ..... god what kind of loathsome person you have be to blame the poor pax in this case.

Its also incredibly stupid and irresponsible of AC IDB someone with a cruise, they should have IDB an SE MM before doing that. A cruise is not something you can catch up on.

If airline like AC is behaving like a brat, time for the govt to step in and slap them in the behaving properly.

IDB= Illegal
VDB = No limit, you overbook you pay for the consequence.
I really do admire your common sense and understanding of right and wrong. It is a characteristic of good leadership. There will be some who will ridicule you, who will say that you will never make money with honest principles like yours. They will toss out the infantile "snowflake" label, to diminish the significance of the issue, and to denigrate the victim.

Don't listen to them. You are right and there are more people who want to be treated in the honest and fair manner that you espouse, than who want to play "The Art of the Deal" and to get screwed over. Honesty in business dealings continues to be the best policy. Companies and people who play games, merit the clients they get and the costs that accompany such client profiles. You are right.

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
personally i'd be more conservative than the pax........ for a trip that costs that much, would build in buffer (just in case or VDB$ making) time.

but at the same time if airlines cannot better manage forecast vs actual overselling % and handling overbooking i advocate for better consumer protections and transparency in its reporting
as for AC's YYZ agent demeaning attitudes, i see that numerous times and i am not surprised. Even with J tix and Elite status before, I'd been told to talk w Customer Service (or better yet back to the lounge).
^ Transparency is something the airline resists with a passion.
And yes, the AC response to this type of event as well as to IRROPS is downright awful. If the airline cannot behave in a reasonable manner, then the public deserves to be protected from the egregious acts of the airline through regulatory methods.

Originally Posted by Jagboi
I can't have any sympathy for the airlines here. They were paid for a service and if a passenger no-shows the airline is still paid for the seat (assuming a non refundable ticket, or ticket with high change fees, as most are.) The plane could fly empty but it doesn't matter if the seats are already paid for; it actually benefits the airline though less fuel burn since they are hauling less weight around.

The airlines are whining because they can't sell the same thing twice, but where else can you do that? I can't double bill my clients for my time, why should an airline have the god given right (according to some here) to sell something they don't have to sell?
I have the feeling that the strongest defenders of the AC position have personal and/or business practices not too different from AC. Hence, the identification with the process and the passionate defense of the practice by some.

Originally Posted by yulred
Okay, put a warning on all fares. Let prospective buyers know upfront that other passengers "place a high value on refundable tickets", because of which overbooking "let's (AC) offer refundable tickets without losing a lot of money". Consequently, AC reserves the right to resell your ticket, for which you have already paid, to someone who paid a lot more for a refundable ticket he values more in order to enable AC to not lose a lot of money on a seat it's sold twice (if none of that makes sense, it's because it's probably not supposed to, given the inherent leap in the AC customer service plan's logic).

In such cases, your ticket for a specific flight (regardless of any premium you may have paid to select that particular flight) is meaningless, and your needs may or may not be accommodated.

Simple enough. It's not like AC gives a hoot about IDB'd folk; prior to CTA dictating higher IDB compensation, AC used to offer what - $100-$200? The rest - insurance, itineraries- is irrelevant since it only comes into play after AC stiffs a paying pax. Its kind of like blaming a shooting victim for not wearing a bulletproof vest. Point is - if someone hadn't pulled the trigger, none of this would have happened.

As for CBC - they interviewed the lady and gave AC a chance to respond. Perhaps they should load up on #alternativefacts to tell the "way more to the story" that you're claiming there is? I think it's plainly obvious that if AC hadn't IDB'd her, there would be no story here. All the other finger pointing is plain old obfuscation.
You are a tough ride ^, but so very right. It's ok. The airline industry has created the environment where the minister of transport is being forced to intervene and AC is about to get a bit of a shock.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
Call me any names you want but I don't consider cruise passengers to be sophisticated travellers. It doesn't mean that the system or FT audience should blame them for not knowing any better. The industry professionals, in this situation Lindblad Expeditions take big share of responsibility here.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:20 am

Programs: none
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer

You are a tough ride ^, but so very right. It's ok. The airline industry has created the environment where the minister of transport is being forced to intervene and AC is about to get a bit of a shock.
Well, this is actually reinforcement for the conclusion that we do NOT need outside interference to achieve the greater good.

The airline that is viewed as handling boarding situations better - voluntary or involuntary DB - will gain a perceived market advantage over one that doesn't. NOTE TO DELTA TICKET BUYERS. The company with a perceived market advantage will be more profitable (even if only a little bit) than one that doesn't. Advantage, Delta. And a more profitable company is more attractive to its owners. NOTE TO SHAREHOLDERS.

The beauty of this is that it's better all around - airline, stockholders, and mostly for passengers. The only potential losers are those perceived as inferior competitors NOTE TO UNITED, and maybe those who actually profit by government intrusion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.