Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC: 'Appalling': Woman bumped from Air Canada flight misses $10,000 Galapagos cruise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC: 'Appalling': Woman bumped from Air Canada flight misses $10,000 Galapagos cruise

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
First time visit to this forum on FT and a ton of posts already so I apologize if my question is repetitive, but does anyone know if AC followed the correct or reasonable procedures for VDB and IDB in this case.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: AP SPG HH
Originally Posted by skybluesea
All travellers are subject to IDB including SEMM like me. Even with a call to the Concierge office from Dublin, nothing could be done, so why is Tango fare special that deserves extra attention?

And now that we know the traveler had a separate ticket, the reason this traveller missed their connection, and AC has no responsibility for missing this connection, is the traveller chose a separate itinerary.

Insurance would have covered missed connection for direct flight to Ecuador - Way more to this story, and CBC should be ashamed for not reporting the full picture and why the travellers blaming AC for something fully within their control to have resolved long before.
Maybe because its tango fare that is usually subject to bumping according to the flying elite here. OK so then AC should remind everyone (all booking classes) that they may be subject to being bumped because AC believes in selling a seat twice to make more money. They might also remind all passengers that they shouldn't plan on getting to where they want to and when they want to unless AC decides its in ACs best interest to do so.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by ermintrude
First time visit to this forum on FT and a ton of posts already so I apologize if my question is repetitive, but does anyone know if AC followed the correct or reasonable procedures for VDB and IDB in this case.
Not sure it really matters anymore, the traveller has accepted AC compensation, so what's the beef - I wants more I suppose, but then why did she except the $800 in the first place?

I do recall signing a waiver when I receive compensation for IDB couple years ago, so not sure if the same for US departure, but I'm signing that document I agreed not to pursue the matter further.

PS… Welcome to FT, and your comments are always welcome.

Last edited by skybluesea; Apr 21, 2017 at 2:11 pm Reason: Added welcome greeting
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Stranger
Was she getting on a boat in Miama though? The article merely says that she would join the group.

But I don't see how a cruise to the Galapagos would leave from Miami, except if going through the Panama canal first? (That could be though. Just makes it longer.)
The cruise itself wasn't departing MIA but she was joining a chartered flight ex MIA. Even with insurance however had she missed this flight and been re-booked on alternate flights with multiple connections she still could've missed the boat which is why I'd suggest it would've been prudent to have flown into MIA earlier and left some room for the unexpected.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: AP SPG HH
Not sure it really matters anymore, the traveller has accepted AC compensation, so what's the beef - I wants more I suppose, but then why did she except the $800 in the first place?

I do recall signing a waiver when I receive compensation for IDB couple years ago, so not sure if the same for US departure, but I'm signing that document I agreed not to pursue the matter further.

PS… Welcome to FT, and your comments are always welcome.
The report says she received a cheque for $800, it doesn't say she accepted the compensation by cashing the cheque. Maybe that is why AC is still "working" on the file.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
All travellers are subject to IDB including SEMM like me. Even with a call to the Concierge office from Dublin, nothing could be done, so why is Tango fare special that deserves extra attention?.
She wasn't asking for special attention. She was someone who paid a travel agent a lot of money for a trip. She was given a ticket, showed up on time, checked her luggage, then gets bumped. She was then (admittedly by her account) treated rudely, with little assistance and long lines that took so long to navigate she missed 2 flights that could have taken her.

And now that we know the traveler had a separate ticket, the reason this traveller missed their connection, and AC has no responsibility for missing this connection, is the traveller chose a separate itinerary.
How do you expect her to not have a separate itinerary? She was meeting a charter flight.

I agree the travel agent messed up with the tight connection, but AC made this worse by the poor service and absolute vacuum of empathy.

......oh and the travel agent made things worse by saying "go to the AC customer service desk. There is a dedicated line for agents to call to help clients in situations. That was a 'go bother someone else' ploy. But at least they stepped up and did right by getting her onto a cruise in May. I would be very confident that she will not be using AC to get her anywhere in the near future.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by tcook052
The cruise itself wasn't departing MIA but she was joining a chartered flight ex MIA. Even with insurance however had she missed this flight and been re-booked on alternate flights with multiple connections she still could've missed the boat which is why I'd suggest it would've been prudent to have flown into MIA earlier and left some room for the unexpected.
Yes it is prudent, because cancellations and delay outside of the airline's control can happen. Weather happens. Mechanical problems happen. Diversion due to engine failure or pax illness happens. I watched someone break down into tears at a United counter in Houston after our flight to SCL was cancelled saying they'd miss their connection to Easter Island for the "trip of a lifetime". Stuff happens.

But just because a volcano eruption cancelling all flights can happen, does not mean a passenger should accept delay when what did happen is the airline deliberately sold more seats than they could deliver in order to make a bigger profit. There is no external factor at play here besides Air Canada's business practices which have nothing to do with regulatory, safety or operational requirements.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The smallest state

I agree the travel agent messed up with the tight connection, but AC made this worse by the poor service and absolute vacuum of empathy.
When you buy Tango you don't pay for empathy.

If your average Tango flyer were treated too well he probably would conclude he overpaid...
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Okay having just read this huge thread, I have two things to say.

First, just because people are saying "she should have flown in a day earlier" doesn't mean we're blaming her. It's advice to anyone else reading this thread who may book a cruise. I've been delayed ~18 hours flying YYZ-YOW as a SE in J, due to weather. Stuff happens. It's advice, not blame.

Originally Posted by drvannostren
"Didn't have a valid ticket" sounds like someone either misspoke, or someone misheard. Not having a valid ticket likely wouldn't have allowed her past CATSA/Border control.
The latter half of your statement is incorrect.

With COUPON REQUIRED, you can indeed print a boarding pass, go through security and preclearance, and make it all the way to the gate. However, then you may be called up, asked if you have a paper ticket, and then told you cannot board the flight. This happened to @thePhoenix_179 when he was E75K in LGA.

So did she have a valid ticket? I'd be interested in the technical details there.

I know another FTer recently created a PNR through their TA, checked in for the flight, printed a BP, but ended up cancelling it before ticketing it.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by Stranger
When you buy Tango you don't pay for empathy.

If your average Tango flyer were treated too well he probably would conclude he overpaid...
Great point. I wanted to check into an insane asylum once while waiting on hold with AC Rouge. The hold music would play and every 15 seconds a French Canadian man would shout "RRRRRRROUGE" into my ear.

Tango fare class really has to be the absolute last choice for anyone who has flown AC before. It's akin to Air Greyhound
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium

Tango fare class really has to be the absolute last choice for anyone who has flown AC before. It's akin to Air Greyhound
I disagree. Even without status,what's wrong with Tango class?

Does it say in the tariffs or on the Fare Comparison page that a benefot of Flex/Latitude is "we won't deny you boarding if overbooked"?

To my knowledge, status and checkin time trumps everything. When flying in the US we learned a decade ago that if you checkin late for a Southwest flight, you get the dreaded C (last zone) boarding pass, which means middle seat and a higher likelohood of being IDB'd.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
I disagree. Even without status,what's wrong with Tango class?

Does it say in the tariffs or on the Fare Comparison page that a benefot of Flex/Latitude is "we won't deny you boarding if overbooked"?

To my knowledge, status and checkin time trumps everything. When flying in the US we learned a decade ago that if you checkin late for a Southwest flight, you get the dreaded C (last zone) boarding pass, which means middle seat and a higher likelohood of being IDB'd.
Off of the top of my head............

You get 25% airmiles within Canada and "UP TO 50%" on international. I don't know where they delineate the "up to" hedging language as I have yet to fly Tango due to this.

You pay $25 or $35 for your bags.

$10 to do advance seat selection

Its just not a product I am interested in buying. In fact it is a product I will purposely avoid.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Ok time to wait for the next CBC article in about 2 days. They did fill in with a sunwing bad vacation article sandwiched between the last two about AC.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: *G
However AC, as AC always manages to do, turns another companies screw up into their own problem. I have grumbled about AC for awhile, mostly due to a small but very determined number employees who are jaded and rude.

This bad publicity is down to rude employees and lack of any assistance. AC has done it again.
While many employees might be rude etc, I also put a lot of the blame on senior management. They have taken almost all discretion away from front line employees by automating everything to do with passenger priorities, be it upgrades or bumping. Any deviation results in a "please explain", so it's easier to do the annoy a passenger than to deal with the wrath of management. It's been going on for ages, but maybe this latest round of bumping furors will lead to agents having some greater discretion - or more to the point, time to deal with it. Agents are under the gun to get flights out on time, so they are forced not to spend time solving problems.

Which is not to say it is what happened here. There are still missing pieces, the biggest one being why she was chosen to be bumped. I am betting that she was on the lowest possible fare class, likely booked as a bulk cruise fare by the tour operator.

I am however, very surprised that the tour operator did not have better systems in place to deal with such eventualities, which must happen all the time for a myriad of reasons. Princess cruises guarantees to get you to the ship, even if at a later port, if you book flights with them. They also have a number to call if you are delayed. I am not sure why this person just gave up when problems arose, even if AC was to blame.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by vernonc
Ok time to wait for the next CBC article in about 2 days. They did fill in with a sunwing bad vacation article sandwiched between the last two about AC.
But have you noticed how WS has managed to turn a lost dog shipped to the wrong place into a positive story?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.