Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Toronto Rome Economy class - is alcohol served?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Hi to All,
we are flying from Toronto to Rome in economy class. Quick question: do they sell alcohol? Like air canada cafe? what are the options for extra alcohol?
thx!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:05 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
IngaHansen, welcome to FlyerTalk! Your question will likely get more replies in the dedicated forum for Air Canada. I'll move your thread to that forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
International includes:

Complementary Bar Service Including Beer, Wine & Spirits
Complementary Meal Service
Complementary Entertainment including headsets
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
They do, however don't expect Air Canada flight attendants to be wandering up and down the aisle looking to see if you want another drink.

They want to get you on, get into the air, give you a meal, give you a drink, clear the trays, sit down for 7 hours to read, sleep, complain about the company they work for, then give you a little sandwich and a water before landing.

If you do see an flight attendant walking through economy class on a long flight it is with a purpose. They put their heads down, get a scowl, build up a head of steam and rocket through economy so quickly it's a wonder Canada doesn't win Gold, Silver and Bronze every Olympic Games in that 'Race Walking' competition. They will do all this while refusing to make any eye contact and pretending not to hear any customers requests.

Get an aisle seat and wander back to where they all hide from the customers, then you will get a drink.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by The smallest state

Get an aisle seat and wander back to where they all hide from the customers, then you will get a drink.
Pretty much.

I usually pack some chocolates or something in my carry on, go to the service area early in the flight for some reason, talk with them a bit, and throw down the chocolates for the FA crew. That usually leads to a smile and assistance later in the flight when I wander back to grab a drink.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by The smallest state
They do, however don't expect Air Canada flight attendants to be wandering up and down the aisle looking to see if you want another drink.

They want to get you on, get into the air, give you a meal, give you a drink, clear the trays, sit down for 7 hours to read, sleep, complain about the company they work for, then give you a little sandwich and a water before landing.

If you do see an flight attendant walking through economy class on a long flight it is with a purpose. They put their heads down, get a scowl, build up a head of steam and rocket through economy so quickly it's a wonder Canada doesn't win Gold, Silver and Bronze every Olympic Games in that 'Race Walking' competition. They will do all this while refusing to make any eye contact and pretending not to hear any customers requests.

So, in a better AC world, what do you want?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Agreed - But of course Smalleststate always free to choose other airlines if AC so bad, in this case Alitalia - who by the way has improving reputation with new Etihad owners
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Service comparable to what Japan Airlines or most other competent airlines will offer. FA's that will go up and down the aisles looking to see if anyone needs anything, doesn't mean you have to do it every 5 minutes, but every 30 would be nice.

You seriously are not thinking AC's level of "service" (term used very generously) is the norm do you?

Originally Posted by skybluesea
Agreed - But of course Smalleststate always free to choose other airlines if AC so bad, in this case Alitalia - who by the way has improving reputation with new Etihad owners
I do.

The reason I avoid Air Canada like the plague is the below average service, rude employees (not all, but a very determined 10-20% who hate their jobs, hate the company and hate pax) and the abysmal incompetence they show when things go wrong.............and on AC things ALWAYS go wrong.

The only reason I will ever set foot on AC metal is when I have to go to Canada for work. I have moaned in numerous places about AC and the herculean effort I will undertake to avoid them. Last month I took Alaska from Victoria to Seattle then to Boston. I could have taken Victoria to Toronto then Boston. Connection was better for AC. Price was better on AC. Departure time was better on AC...........I still choose Alaska.

Burn me once, shame on AC
Burn me twice, shame on me

Well I've been scorched by this ridiculous airline so many times I am about to buy some flame retardant clothes.

Last edited by The smallest state; Apr 20, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
The answer to the Ops question is yes. You will get one small drink around meal time.

If you want or need more, I find wandering around to the cabin (with cup) and asking if you could have another is generally met with a good response. Ideally you would do this while the seatbelt sign is off.

Unless you are physically disabled and unable to easily move around, I would avoid the use of the call button unless really required.

ACs earphones are somewhat poor. Pack your own. Same applies to the snack before landing, or grab one in Rome. Your doctor will thank you.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jc94
The answer to the Ops question is yes. You will get one small drink around meal time.

If you want or need more, I find wandering around to the cabin (with cup) and asking if you could have another is generally met with a good response. Ideally you would do this while the seatbelt sign is off.

Unless you are physically disabled and unable to easily move around, I would avoid the use of the call button unless really required.

ACs earphones are somewhat poor. Pack your own. Same applies to the snack before landing, or grab one in Rome. Your doctor will thank you.
+1 ^
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jc94

+1.

It's ECONOMY class. Let's be realistic - Don't expect the FA's to be walking around with bottles wine offering refills to the 400 or so pax they have to serve. I don't think I've seen that type of bottle service on any airline in economy.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: ba silver
Agree with other posters. I find service in AC hit or miss. The best way to get a drink after meal service is to go to the back and apologize for taking up their time and then ask politely if you can get another drink. Or else the only way you'll know they are there is during duty free sales or when they are having a loud conversation in the galley.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Cabin Crews do regular walk throughs offering bottled water throughout the course of the night, during the lights out period. I consider this an opportunity for interaction with our Customers who happen to be awake. And so, should H2O not be your thing, by all means request the beverage of your choice. And yes, alternatively, call bells can be used.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
The economy wine is those little plastic bottles if I recall correctly, not served or refilled from the big glass bottle. That said, I have had more than one little plastic bottle once or twice.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

thanks for all replies
my question was - is it possible to buy the drink during the flight? is there a service like that?
thx!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.