Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Why is AC domestic J so bloody expensive?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is AC domestic J so bloody expensive?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Funny. I just looked up;

YYC to YYZ on April 26 at 10 am. AC J fare is $1876

LAX to NYC on April 26 at 10 am. UA J fare is $3513.(CDN)

I know the UA flight is longer, but not $1637 longer. Also, operating airlines in the US is a lot cheaper. Lower fuel taxes and US government subsidies their airports.

Please explain why AC J fares are a lot higher?

Originally Posted by jjclancy
You're comparing a A321 recliner to a B757 lie flat seat.
1) ~$1800 CAD YYC-YYZ is usually B767 lie flat seat, ~$1500 CAD is the usual for an A321/A320 on that route

2) I've certainly had even cheaper widebody lie-flat flights on UA for that ~3.5h length flight as well (i.e DEN-EWR), under $1000 CAD
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I want J YYZ YVR.
Only AC offers it.
And I know many who are willing to pay for it, at the current prices.
Same for pretty much any TCON route AC flights.

People are willing to pay an often $1000+ premium over a Tango fare to have a bigger/flatter/fatter seat and meal/booze.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
I would say on many flights, 2/3 of them are upgrades and 1/3 at most are actual paid fares.
The information on the app upgrade list does not support this theory. In fact, most of the time I fly in a full J cabin with 1 or 2 listed upgraders.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by yyznomad
At least there is no 747.
Well, after the last quart of this year.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
The information on the app upgrade list does not support this theory. In fact, most of the time I fly in a full J cabin with 1 or 2 listed upgraders.
I fly off-peak hours, and have noticed the upgraded list is quite a bit longer. So I think it does depend on the flight.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
I fly off-peak hours, and have noticed the upgraded list is quite a bit longer. So I think it does depend on the flight.
I agree, but don't think that the notion of 2/3 of J is filled with upgrades can be supported.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:19 pm
Original Member

Funny. I just looked up;

YYC to YYZ on April 26 at 10 am. AC J fare is $1876

LAX to NYC on April 26 at 10 am. UA J fare is $3513.(CDN)

I know the UA flight is longer, but not $1637 longer. Also, operating airlines in the US is a lot cheaper. Lower fuel taxes and US government subsidies their airports.

Please explain why AC J fares are a lot higher?
LAX-NYC on April 26 at 9 am. JetBlue J fare is CAD $742.37.

This JetBLue "J":

Oh, and the UA LAX-EWR J fare one-way non-stop fare? CAD $875.67.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by KenHamer

Oh, and the UA LAX-EWR J fare one-way non-stop fare? CAD $875.67.
How far out? What day? When I did not check, I posted the lowest price ticket. Most people buy J, do not book far out.

______

Addition, I found your fare you posted. 3 months out and a red eye.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
How far out? What day? When I did not check, I posted the lowest price ticket. Most people buy J, do not book far out.

______

Addition, I found your fare you posted. 3 months out and a red eye.
And on the 21st of April fares range between $1200 - $1500 US one way. Supply and demand "101".
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Surprised this has gone on for so long. The US market is competitive for the premium cabins. It simply is not the case in Canada.

As long as AC has no competitor for this business, AC can charge whatever it wants as long as the cabins remain full of high paying passengers or passengers who have amassed enough spend to eupgrade for these routes.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Surprised this has gone on for so long. The US market is competitive for the premium cabins. It simply is not the case in Canada.

As long as AC has no competitor for this business, AC can charge whatever it wants as long as the cabins remain full of high paying passengers or passengers who have amassed enough spend to eupgrade for these routes.
^
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I agree, but don't think that the notion of 2/3 of J is filled with upgrades can be supported.
It probably depends on the flight. I know on a recent YYC-YYZ transcon I flew, 1/3 of the seats were empty in J 48 hours before the flight. When the flight boarded, J was full. Guessing most of those were upgrades. But I suspect you guys will know more than I would.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:17 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Domestic there's no other option and most people I meet domestic AC J are gov't employees or consulting/hired by the government on their dime so they can charge what they want.

DL has tons of $550-$600 R/T fare YYC-SEA/SLC/MSP-LAX and the cheapest I see with AC is always $1850 R/T Non stop or through YVR.

AC transboarder out of YYC in J is always more expensive for me than any other carrier. AA/UA is around the same with AS usually being slightly cheaper and DL for some reason has had the cheapest J fares out of YYC for a while now.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
It probably depends on the flight. I know on a recent YYC-YYZ transcon I flew, 1/3 of the seats were empty in J 48 hours before the flight. When the flight boarded, J was full. Guessing most of those were upgrades. But I suspect you guys will know more than I would.
As far as YYC/YYZ route goes, I am with you. My bet is that J/C/Z accounts for +/- 25% of the cabin. I don't pay a lot of attention to other routes, so I won't speculate. But I see very similar consumption patterns. And a high percentage of my flights on this route over the last couple months have been R>0 up to day of departure.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by SKYEG
DL has tons of $550-$600 R/T fare YYC-SEA/SLC/MSP-LAX and the cheapest I see with AC is always $1850 R/T Non stop or through YVR.

AC transboarder out of YYC in J is always more expensive for me than any other carrier. AA/UA is around the same with AS usually being slightly cheaper and DL for some reason has had the cheapest J fares out of YYC for a while now.
I was able to upgrade a large number of both UA and DL flights out of YYC from economy to business last year for about an incremental 25% of the purchase price (between $200 and $400 Canadian) to destinations in the Midwest/Western US. That is *never* the case on AC except at very specific times of year (like Z fares on Jan 1st).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.