Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC: P.E.I. family's 10-year-old son bumped from overbooked Air Canada flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC: P.E.I. family's 10-year-old son bumped from overbooked Air Canada flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Why they tried so hard????
LMAFO

Maybe its because its their duty and responsibility?
Next time I should kiss the AC GA's shoe for granting me the utmost privilege of getting me where I was promised.
Correct, sir.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada
From the article linked to above:

"The agent told us that the plane only had 28 seats, but that 34 tickets had been sold," Doyle said. "She said it was very unlikely that six people wouldn't show up for a flight over March break."

What we don't know for sure is if the flight from Montreal to Costa Rica was an AC flight.

That would explain why no DOB for the child was including in his booking. I'm pretty sure there no need to put our DOB when buying domestic flights. (I'm not flying much these days so can't remember if that is correct or not, but I only recall doing it when buying international flights.)]

It would also explain why they were so concerned about making it to Montreal. They realized they weren't protected on their second leg because it was a separate PNR and company.
They still would have had to book the child as an adult. But in some ways, that makes it even worse on their part.

Textbook case on how not to do things, if you are right.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
These two Star Alliance carriers were made for each other.

EDIT: I wasted my 2500th post on this? whatever, Air Canada.

Last edited by keitherson; Apr 18, 2017 at 12:14 am
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:14 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by YYT82
After the UA debacle last week, I don't think any airlines in their right mind would want to be perceived as the evil corporation. The biggest problem I have with the recent string of CBC articles is that instead of taking the opportunities to educate the public about airfares and risks of buying lowest fares and not selecting seats early during the OLCI process, they took the path of generating clicks by employing the 'us against them' theme.
I'd make the case it's not the public that needs educating.
​​​​​​​
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by martyYOW
Not sure if its for PR reasons or because AC was in the wrong, but they have offered an apology, $2500 Voucher and may cover expenses.

http://www.timescolonist.com/air-can...ica-1.15713055
AC has some nerve to call this "a very generous compensation". It's a voucher for goodness sake, which doesn't cost them a penny, and yet they initially only offered a voucher of $1,600, and the $2,500 that the customer managed to negotiate doesn't even cover what they spent on their tickets.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Different news outlet covering the same story...

http://montrealgazette.com/news/loca...-to-costa-rica

“The agent told us that the plane only had 28 seats, but that 34 tickets had been sold,” Doyle said. “She said it was very unlikely that six people wouldn’t show up for a flight over March break.”
Which aircraft in the AC fleet has only 28 seats? Something doesn't sound correct there. If they only sold 34 seats for the flight, that's not oversold on anything other than a Beechcraft.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
From the article linked to above:

"The agent told us that the plane only had 28 seats, but that 34 tickets had been sold," Doyle said. "She said it was very unlikely that six people wouldn't show up for a flight over March break."
As noted above, I'm not aware of any AC planes that seat 28. The current sched shows AC operating a crj 100 between Charlottetown and Montreal, and that plane seats 50. The smallest plane they have is the dash 8-100, and that seats 37.

What we don't know for sure is if the flight from Montreal to Costa Rica was an AC flight.

That would explain why no DOB for the child was including in his booking. I'm pretty sure there no need to put our DOB when buying domestic flights. (I'm not flying much these days so can't remember if that is correct or not, but I only recall doing it when buying international flights.)]

It would also explain why they were so concerned about making it to Montreal. They realized they weren't protected on their second leg because it was a separate PNR and company.
But if the flight they were at risk of being bumped from, was not an AC flight.... then how on earth is that AC's fault?

Look, I'm not saying that AC is perfect, or even blameless in this case... but the "details" above simply highlight how few facts we actually know about this case.

And sure, the actual facts might make AC look even worse ... but they might also demonstrate how easily people get confused, and how incorrect facts can be widely spread by well meaning but otherwise confused people.

All we know for sure is that the "facts" as currently reported, don't add up.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: AP SPG HH
If incorrect information is being published why isn't AC correcting it? Wouldn't it be in their best interest?
Kathryn is correct, DOB is not required at time of booking a domestic flight.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Northern Canuck
If incorrect information is being published why isn't AC correcting it? Wouldn't it be in their best interest?
Kathryn is correct, DOB is not required at time of booking a domestic flight.
Let's hypothesize some facts. Assume that the family really did book using multiple PNRs, and that one ticket showed as GTE. Assume that there actually was space on the flight, but the family was confused & nervous, and booked an alternative flight - that wasn't actually necessary, but they booked it anyway.

In other words, in this scenario assume that AC was completely blameless.

Even in that case - with the public focus on IDB right now, its easy to believe that AC would still want the case to just go away. They don't need any extra press that associates AC with IDB in the public's mind.

Now assume a slightly more likely case, in which AC does have some behavior they regret.... perhaps an employee was less than helpful in response to an inquiry by the family.

It's a no brainer. This case is in the press, so give the family some compensation and make the story go away.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Guava
Or they could simply be concerned about missing their vacation entirely since hotels may be pre-paid and non-refundable and the adults may not extend their vacation time.

Such speculation is entirely unnecessary and besides the point.

I am convinced without the much publicized UA PR fiasco, AC would have not done anything about it until the customers decide to serve them papers, not that AC is somehow unique in this respect. British papers recently reported that two Easyjet customers who were already seated on the plane were removed from their seats without compensation even though EU regulation is very strict about what to do in this kind of situation. Easyjet was legally required to notify the two of their rights and the entitled compensation but deliberately ignored the law. These passengers simply opted to cancel their trip entirely. Like AC, now Easyjet is suddenly very apologetic about it. I'll let you draw your own conclusion re: the sudden change of heart.

The bottom line is airlines will engage in highway robbery, legal or otherwise, as long as they can get away with it. No one should ever be naive to assume big companies, especially airlines, will follow the law or even their own written commitments.
++1 ^

The airlines need to be served punitive damages for such cases. Otherwise, they will make more money with the policy of highway robery and compensation only in cases they get caught
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
++1 ^

The airlines need to be served punitive damages for such cases.
What case? There is no case.

Airline did nothing wrong. Family did everything wrong.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by canopus27
The smallest plane they have is the dash 8-100, and that seats 37.
Beechcraft 1900 is the smallest, with 18 seats. Common aircraft in YYG, normally used on the YHZ route.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: WestJet Gold; E35K/*Silver
Yeh I've been on a 1900d into YYG.

This is the top story on the US and Canada section of the BBC, and the 6th most read story on the whole of the BBC website. Quite some achievement given it's not exactly a slow news day in the UK today
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by canopus27
Let's hypothesize some facts. Assume that the family really did book using multiple PNRs, and that one ticket showed as GTE. Assume that there actually was space on the flight, but the family was confused & nervous, and booked an alternative flight - that wasn't actually necessary, but they booked it anyway.

In other words, in this scenario assume that AC was completely blameless.

Even in that case - with the public focus on IDB right now, its easy to believe that AC would still want the case to just go away. They don't need any extra press that associates AC with IDB in the public's mind.

Now assume a slightly more likely case, in which AC does have some behavior they regret.... perhaps an employee was less than helpful in response to an inquiry by the family.

It's a no brainer. This case is in the press, so give the family some compensation and make the story go away.
The employee who was less than helpful was the one at the airport the day before who told them if the adult gave up their flight the child still wouldn't get the seat. AND didn't counsel them to come to the airport tomorrow and figure it out at the gate.

Given the family's anxiety about getting to Montreal, I figure AC had nothing to do with the Montreal-Costa Rica part of the travel or else it would have at least got a bumped passenger to Costa Rica and one would think the agent at the airport the night before would explain that.

Finally it explains why AC bumped a kid. They didn't know because the age wasn't required to buy a ticket. But it doesn't explain why, the night before, when AC knew it was a child, nothing was done to put the family's mind at rest.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre
Beechcraft 1900 is the smallest, with 18 seats. Common aircraft in YYG, normally used on the YHZ route.
Thanks. I knew that, but had forgotten... thanks for the correction.

Although it still doesn't explain or correlate with this statement: “The agent told us that the plane only had 28 seats, but that 34 tickets had been sold”

AFAIK, there are no AC planes with only 28 seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.