Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYZ AC Delays - Runway Construction - April 7 2017

YYZ AC Delays - Runway Construction - April 7 2017

Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by SYM
YXUFlyboy/Johnston21 - What time did 8652 arrive at the gate? I was the guy at YXU trying to organize cabs to Pearson. We made it at 20:03, which meant I had enough time to grab a quick bite in the lounge and still catch my 20:55 flight (on which I was op-upped!)
AC.com says you got to the gate at 20:28 - if that is accurate, then I made the right call.
That sounds about right. Most of the plane pax misconnected, others had flights that were also delayed. I made it mostly because I was on a widebody transcon but also because I lucked out that the gate was so close to the turboprop gates. My luggage also made it, which I was pleasantly surprised about.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite
Another day, another series of flights in YOW that were held due to a ground stop for 3+ hours. Deplane everyone, then re-board. Fun times for those that fly back and forth a lot.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by Rundosrun
Another day, another series of flights in YOW that were held due to a ground stop for 3+ hours. Deplane everyone, then re-board. Fun times for those that fly back and forth a lot.
VIA Rail
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by ridefar
i have no idea what that is.
Looking at Santa's belly from a down under perspective?

Originally Posted by ridefar
Thanks, I appreciate the perspective.
(That should be sufficiently to cause Ben to fall out of his chair, at least.)
Exposure to a display of honesty can do that to some people.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Well as mentioned in my old thread, I had two misconnects on two separate days and one causing an overnight because of the construction. I will definitely avoid YYZ as much as possible for the time being, which does limit things a bit more ..

I saw the $150CDN Via Rail for all Canadian Travel in July... Should have jumped on that lol!!! I always wanted to take Via Rail to do a coast to coast. I wonder if it is survivable in Economy
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Well as mentioned in my old thread, I had two misconnects on two separate days and one causing an overnight because of the construction. I will definitely avoid YYZ as much as possible for the time being, which does limit things a bit more ..

I saw the $150CDN Via Rail for all Canadian Travel in July... Should have jumped on that lol!!! I always wanted to take Via Rail to do a coast to coast. I wonder if it is survivable in Economy
VIA's economy offers lots of leg room and a good degree of recline. But the point of my mention of VIA Rail is that the Rapid Air routes may end up taking as much time as VIA during the runway construction.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:08 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Yeah I figured that much... I could see myself going from YVR to YEG than hopping off there and just flying the rest of the way 😂. I really want to try out Via Rail though , in all classes. Wish I had the extra time to spare to do so. It'd be definitely a cool and different experience. Would be interesting meeting people on board too
Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: AC Altitude 35K, AA, Marriott Silver Elite, NEXUS
yes we sat for 3 hours in YUL on 421 waiting to leave. Kudos to pilot and crew for keeping us updated. As I count it YYZ has 5 runways.....surely to god they can operate using 3-4? Or typical GTAA incompetence creeping in? Seriously if you are a regular rapidair pax this must be driving you nuts.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by cruzcap
yes we sat for 3 hours in YUL on 421 waiting to leave. Kudos to pilot and crew for keeping us updated. As I count it YYZ has 5 runways.....surely to god they can operate using 3-4? Or typical GTAA incompetence creeping in? Seriously if you are a regular rapidair pax this must be driving you nuts.
Yup - it really is just as easy as that. Let's just run 4 runways at the same time when flight paths of each pair intersect with one another.

GTAA doesn't control runway usage/air space movements - that would be NavCan.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
3 hr delay on 7408. CLE UA ground crew were great rebooking pax and dealing with some elderly passengers missing TATL connections in YYZ. Called Concierge for options, which was a waste of 20 minutes. Perhaps YTZ and BUF are better options for the foreseeable future.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: AC Altitude 35K, AA, Marriott Silver Elite, NEXUS
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Yup - it really is just as easy as that. Let's just run 4 runways at the same time when flight paths of each pair intersect with one another.

Even better..a government agency..what could go wrong?....intersecting runways are not the issue...airports around the world makes this type of network work. busy ones.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by ChrisA330

The GTAA has more control over runway selection than you would think. Too much IMHO
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by cruzcap
As I count it YYZ has 5 runways
2 N/S
3 E/W, one of which is shorter than the other 2.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by sram
The wait time has certainly increased on the concierge line, but also with AC's major hub being impacted by daily GDP's, the concierge really can't help me.... rerouting me via BOS, EWR or ORD doesn't solve my problem as those inbound flights will get delayed too, perhaps more significantly. The Concierge suggested avoiding YYZ altogether. The Concierge has become a grief counselling line during runway construction
Also, how is "avoid YYZ" a reasonable suggestion for everyone. It is Air Canada's main hub. As noted upthread, it might be workable to use YTZ or for those not based near YYZ, to connect via YUL etc. That won't work for AC 15/16, 1/2, 5/6. and so on and so on.

Anyway, I am quite sure the AC route managers know how to re-arrange the chess pieces. the problem may be that the landscape and especially the weather may add to the challenge.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:28 am

Looks like YYZ - YXU took a significant hit yesterday; 16:35, 18:05, and 19:30 all cancelled. Only left the 22:55 which arrived almost 2 hrs late.

Looking at departures from EWR and LGA in to YYZ, EWR's seem to be greatly delayed more so than from LGA.

I can see taking the Robert Q from London to Pearson airport as an alternative, but how does one plan for a return to London on the RQ if arrivals in to Pearson are so unpredictable? (rhetorical question)

For upcoming flights not already booked, DTW via the RQ is looking like a good alternative to those from London. Yes a 3.5 hr shuttle-bus each way, but at least you "get there."

Last edited by johnston21; Apr 12, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.