Search

Flight pass for sports

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC-25k, Marriott-Platinum
Flight pass for sports

Hey Flyertalk,

I'm currently in Ottawa but have been asked to play for a sports team out of Boston. Clearly I can't make every practice or tournament. I've read over the flight pass for unlimited flying from July to September. I currently don't have any status so was wondering if it's worth it to buy it.

I'm having a hard time figuring out if it's worth it or not. Are there any pros/cons that are not apparent in the notes for buying them?

Thanks!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mars_precision
Hey Flyertalk,

I'm currently in Ottawa but have been asked to play for a sports team out of Boston. Clearly I can't make every practice or tournament. I've read over the flight pass for unlimited flying from July to September. I currently don't have any status so was wondering if it's worth it to buy it.

I'm having a hard time figuring out if it's worth it or not. Are there any pros/cons that are not apparent in the notes for buying them?

Thanks!
Please clarify the EXACT flight pass you are questioning.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Sorry, my fault.

Eastern Triangle - Northeast and Midwest USA (Transborder) Flex Unlimited travel for 3 months
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Flight passes 'generally' tend not to be cheaper than picking individual flights.

What you get is price guarantees and flexability

So, I would look over a month or two at the YOW-BOS flights, see what the average return price is, then figure out how much you will fly and that will give you an idea

I believe you get some sort of status for unlimited flight passes as well.

If you think you can justify it, then everyone on FT will tell you to go for it.

As they are great products but are not as much a cost savings as a cost guarantee
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by lcohen999
I believe you get some sort of status for unlimited flight passes as well.
3-month flex only nets 30,000 AQM meaning all you'd get is P25K, which is not instant grat.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
3-month flex only nets 30,000 AQM meaning all you'd get is P25K, which is not instant grat.
Right, but I wouldn't get any AQD or AQS?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Right, but I wouldn't get any AQD or AQS?
You will receive AQD on the monthly payments.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Congratulations!

Another important factor could be the days/times you're looking to travel, and the likelihood of changes. Flightpass gives you flexibility for changes, generally, and the prices can be a bit lower than true last-minute-busy-day prices.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krayZpaving
Congratulations!

Another important factor could be the days/times you're looking to travel, and the likelihood of changes. Flightpass gives you flexibility for changes, generally, and the prices can be a bit lower than true last-minute-busy-day prices.
Flex passes book out of M and there is a change fee for any changes.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
What sport?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Flight passes 'generally' tend not to be cheaper than picking individual flights.
This is true for the 10 packs but not true for the unlimited like the OP mentioned.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
This is true for the 10 packs but not true for the unlimited like the OP mentioned.
Depends how often you fly

I find that one round trip per week generally makes the unlimited cheaper than the 10 pack. But even at that rate, it could still be more expensive than buying Tango 6 months out.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
What sport?
Can't say as it would make finding out who I am obvious
Originally Posted by canadiancow

I find that one round trip per week generally makes the unlimited cheaper than the 10 pack. But even at that rate, it could still be more expensive than buying Tango 6 months out.
I'm not sure how much I can do... but it'd likely be every 2-3 weekends and if I can somehow stomach it... twice a week as well.
Originally Posted by krayZpaving
Congratulations!

Ideally in the afternoon coming back late at night. I'm not sure how my playing will be affected by that much airtime. Weekends I'm a little more flexible, just have to be there for saturday and sunday until 6ish.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Can't say as it would make finding out who I am obvious

...just have to be there for saturday and sunday until 6ish.
Long-snapper for the Patriots?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Agreed, but the only reason you would look at unlimited is if you're flying more than once per week, no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.