Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Options if flight booked using Aeroplan cancelled due to weather

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude SEMM

I'm sure this is covered elsewhere on the forum, but I couldn't find anything. I am SE, but haven't booked a reward flight for myself in years.

I am scheduled to fly YYT-YVR on Thursday on an Aeroplan reward ticket. Meanwhile, the forecast is calling for a storm on Thursday that may last until Saturday (not unusual for March to go out like a lion in these parts).

If AC announces a travel alert for YYT for Thursday:

a) Can I cancel the entire trip (return as well as outbound, as it is a short trip) and rebook it for a later date?
b) If yes, will there be any change/cancellation fee charged by Aeroplan? (I'm hoping not, but have only ever dealt with this on a paid AC ticket)
c) Should I use the AC rebooking tool, call the SE reservations line, call Aeroplan, or use some other method (e.g., concierge), to make the change if this happens?

Thanks.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by Livyer
I'm sure this is covered elsewhere on the forum, but I couldn't find anything. I am SE, but haven't booked a reward flight for myself in years.

I am scheduled to fly YYT-YVR on Thursday on an Aeroplan reward ticket. Meanwhile, the forecast is calling for a storm on Thursday that may last until Saturday (not unusual for March to go out like a lion in these parts).

If AC announces a travel alert for YYT for Thursday:

a) Can I cancel the entire trip (return as well as outbound, as it is a short trip) and rebook it for a later date?
b) If yes, will there be any change/cancellation fee charged by Aeroplan? (I'm hoping not, but have only ever dealt with this on a paid AC ticket)
c) Should I use the AC rebooking tool, call the SE reservations line, call Aeroplan, or use some other method (e.g., concierge), to make the change if this happens?

Thanks.
Call the SE desk, or on the day of travel, the Concierges. You may get rebooked into a revenue fare at no charge, but rest assured you won't earn any miles.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
If you *want* to travel to your destination ASAP, call the concierge (day of travel) and they will help you, as the previous reply said.

If you want to avail yourself of the benefits of the travel alert (cancel and get miles and $ refund, or rebook for a different date later in the future), call the Aeroplan SE line. The one time I did this, they were confused and wanted to charge me the rebooking fee, but didn't once I pointed out the alert. I did this before there was any IKK counter, so have no idea if the changed booking came out of the normal reward bucket, IKK, or revenue buckets; you might need to double check you don't get double-IKK-dinged if you already were for the first booking, or dinged at all if the first booking didn't use IKK. If you expect to be anywhere near the 10 IKK limit, that is.

Good luck with the weather!
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: Irrelevant

Yes, I did this not too long ago, but there are AP costs associated with the change when you use the credit again in the future.

I have never had luck with the rebooking tool for AP flights, I always got the message that said either the flight was ineligible for the rebooking tool or that the change could not be processed using the rebooking tool.

For these types of situations I either called AP a few days before the flight, or the SE number the day of the flight to have the changes made.

My best experience has always been when I called the SE desk on the day of the flight to make the WX IROP related changes. ^
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Just to close the loop on this...

The AC website was showing a travel alert for YYT for tomorrow, so I called the SE #, selected the Aeroplan option, and was able to cancel. Points are back in the account and fees refunded.

Now to hunker down for what looks like it will be a nasty couple of days. Will rebook when the weather improves.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

I've never seen this before.

AC has extended the YYT travel alert to YYT to include every day from now to April 4!

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...l-outlook.html

Wow!
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

AC has extended the YYT travel alert to YYT to include every day from now to April 4!

Wow!

I looked at Environment Canada's page and not sure if this is why AC has alerts for many days or?

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/nl-24_metric_e.html

The Weather Network - wow, that's a lot of snow

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca...rador/st-johns
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 24left
I looked at Environment Canada's page and not sure if this is why AC has alerts for many days or?

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/nl-24_metric_e.html
Well, weather starting tomorrow until Saturday, followed by another storm Sunday/Monday.

Welcome to spring in Newfoundland!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver

Wow!
They've also upgauged 692 & 695 tonight to a 777W. (& cancelled tomorrows flight already).

Well, weather starting tomorrow until Saturday, followed by another storm Sunday/Monday.

Welcome to spring in Newfoundland!
Spring in Newfoundland is early June. We're currently in "I've had enough of friggin' winter"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.