Wiki Posts
Search

YWG - OGG Winter 17/18

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
YWG - OGG Winter 17/18

We are looking at a trip from YWG-OGG departing 12/30/17 and returning 01/12/18 and the AC/UA flights are double WestJet. Any reason to think at that time of year that flights on AC or UA will come down in price?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:35 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by jnswinnipeg
We are looking at a trip from YWG-OGG departing 12/30/17 and returning 01/12/18 and the AC/UA flights are double WestJet. Any reason to think at that time of year that flights on AC or UA will come down in price?
I can't imagine why you would want to leave Winterpeg for Maui. Madness.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by jnswinnipeg
Winter and a little thing called New Years. Chances are the fares will only go up. If you can, best time to go is the first 3 weeks of Dec. You can look at flight passes for better fares.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:45 pm

Google flights shows a $30 price difference in WestJet's favour.

Some of the connections look painful though.

This looks like one of the better options.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by tracon
Google flights shows a $30 price difference in WestJet's favour.

Some of the connections look painful though.

This looks like one of the better options.
Except for the return in Rouge - that looks painful too! Had the misfortune of flying YVR-HNL in Rouge a few weeks ago - never again. Even in J it was pretty uncomfortable. Also, according to the in-charge, they expect YYC-OGG to be Rouged by next winter.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tax Dude
Except for the return in Rouge - that looks painful too! Had the misfortune of flying YVR-HNL in Rouge a few weeks ago - never again. Even in J it was pretty uncomfortable. Also, according to the in-charge, they expect YYC-OGG to be Rouged by next winter.
I find Rouge J is good on day flights and bad on the over night flights. Hopefully, AC adds some day flights with their 737's.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
I was wondering when they would finally Rogue YYC-OGG. We go every year (going 2 weeks from today!) & if it goes that way next year, it will be the end of our trips on AC .Westjet 767 or UA via DEN or SFO it will be. Heard too many negatives about Rouge.

Originally Posted by Tax Dude
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
You could also go a day earlier (12/29) and go mainline via YYC if your goal was to avoid Rouge but I agree with others, I don't see a massive price difference between WJ and AC on the dates selected.

Under $900 for a roundtrip ticket to Hawaii seems reasonable to me.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by muskoka
I was wondering when they would finally Rogue YYC-OGG. We go every year (going 2 weeks from today!) & if it goes that way next year, it will be the end of our trips on AC .Westjet 767 or UA via DEN or SFO it will be. Heard too many negatives about Rouge.
Why Westjet? Rouge front is still better than Westjets and the back is a push. Flying UA will cost you a extra day in most cases and Y would still be a push. The only thing that would make Westjet better than Rouge is their daytime return flights.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
I thought someone posted United offered pods on some of the routes from the islands. The return from the islands on Rouge is essentially a red eye and even in so-called J it was pathetic. My back hurts thinking about it.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:44 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Why Westjet? Rouge front is still better than Westjets and the back is a push. Flying UA will cost you a extra day in most cases and Y would still be a push. The only thing that would make Westjet better than Rouge is their daytime return flights.
Price? Schedule? FF program? Free companion ticket? free luggage with credit card on WJ? etc etc.

While i will of course not disagree that the Rouge seats in the front are better, there is more than 1 reason the pax might go with WJ.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 12:07 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by muskoka
It's still scheduled as mainline for next winter. J seems to sell pretty well on the route, lots of wealthy oil execs and their bankers, lawyers, etc making the trip.

There are also no other rouge 763 routes from YYC, so AC would need to address that issue by running a rouge 763 YVR-OGG-YYC-OGG-YVR or something like that rather than having flexibility to rotate planes through YYZ-YYC, YYC-NRT, etc.

Are any of the YVR-OGG flights 763s?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
It's still scheduled as mainline for next winter. J seems to sell pretty well on the route, lots of wealthy oil execs and their bankers, lawyers, etc making the trip.

There are also no other rouge 763 routes from YYC, so AC would need to address that issue by running a rouge 763 YVR-OGG-YYC-OGG-YVR or something like that rather than having flexibility to rotate planes through YYZ-YYC, YYC-NRT, etc.

Are any of the YVR-OGG flights 763s?
or they could just cancel the YVR - UGG route all together and add capacity for YVR - OGG.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 12:12 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
or they could just cancel the YVR - UGG route all together and add capacity for YVR - OGG.
UGGs are really that popular that they've built their own airport? But you're saying the UGG fad is done and AC should reallocate capacity from there to OGG instead?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 12:18 am

LMAO

Ok Adam, you know what I meant . Sorry, I was talking to the waitress at Romers while I was typing that (same one we had last time, Emily)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.