Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Long layover in SFO - can we leave the airport and return without any consequences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long layover in SFO - can we leave the airport and return without any consequences?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

My dad and I are flying from YVR on AC to SFO and have about an 8 hour layover. We then board a flight on Air New Zealand to AKL.

Will we be able to have our luggage checked all the way through, leave SFO and have lunch with family in town, and return to SFO hours before our flight (including going through security again)?

Our family member said we may not be able to leave the airport once we land. But that's not something I've ever tried.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You can absolutely walk out. Whether you can get your bags checked through is something I don't know, but I assume you can.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Did you book it as one ticket through NZ (AC doesn't offer this route)? If you booked the tickets separately you are out of luck, if as one ticket they may do I'm not sure but would love to know as I'm thinking of the same trip (well from YYZ) in the future.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
No worries at all.

The airport doesn't care ... you could easily have bought 2 separate tickets with a full day layover.

The airlines won't care either ... as long as you get back in time, of course.

You'll need to go back through security when you re-enter the terminal, but that's about it.

Last edited by canopus27; Feb 17, 2017 at 1:39 pm Reason: fixed tupo
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by canadiancow
You can absolutely walk out. Whether you can get your bags checked through is something I don't know, but I assume you can.
Yes. I regularly operate 737 YYZ-SFO and always Customers connecting to NZ007 with a 9 hour layover time. Happened to check boarding documents and bags were checked all the way through.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Yes. I regularly operate 737 YYZ-SFO and always Customers connecting to NZ007 with a 9 hour layover time. Happened to check boarding documents and bags were checked all the way through.
I did exactly that (left airport) on the way to AU at LAX due to long layover. Bags were checked right thru. Made the layover go very quickly. Left YYZ in the dead of winter and having a light lunch on an outside terrace in LA a few hours later.....
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
There is a place for left luggage in SFO if you cannot check it through, but I suspect you will be able to. The only thing to warn about is that the wait for security at SFO in International G, from which your NZ flight will depart, is unpredictable and can be hellish if you don't have TSA Pre.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by cannon_fodder
My dad and I are flying from YVR on AC to SFO and have about an 8 hour layover. We then board a flight on Air New Zealand to AKL.

Will we be able to have our luggage checked all the way through, leave SFO and have lunch with family in town, and return to SFO hours before our flight (including going through security again)?

Our family member said we may not be able to leave the airport once we land. But that's not something I've ever tried.
You can exit airside and take BART to go downtown. I've done that before during a layover at SFO and visited the city on the big bus and took an inexpensive boat tour at the fisherman's wharf to the golden gate bridge and to the Alcatraz.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
It is 1000% possible.

I fly regularly between Mexico and Europe and always try to build in a long 12 hour layover in Miami so I can get paperwork and mail sorted out in my "home base"

every once and a while I'll even do a same day standby (for the next day if possible) and sleep a bit and go to the beach. So definitely possible.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Everyone on your Air Canada flight will be cleared through US Customs in YVR before departure. After that, the US Government considers you admitted to the United States, at least for the duration of your layover (and, as a Canadian, much longer). So there's zero legal restriction to leaving SFO and going downtown -- or going to LA, Grand Teton or the World's Biggest Ball of Twine.

And the airlines don't care either -- they won't know and it doesn't matter to them that you've left the building.

In other words, have fun!
Old Feb 17, 2017, 3:01 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
There is a place for left luggage in SFO if you cannot check it through, but I suspect you will be able to. The only thing to warn about is that the wait for security at SFO in International G, from which your NZ flight will depart, is unpredictable and can be hellish if you don't have TSA Pre.
Walk over to either one of the checkpoints in T3 if the G checkpoint is packed. One of those three will be quick.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Walk over to either one of the checkpoints in T3 if the G checkpoint is packed. One of those three will be quick.
I find the G checkpoint is rarely packed when I'm there (1200 or 1800 usually), whereas I've had some pretty long lines in T3.

It can also be quite a long walk if the checkpoint at gate 75 is closed (which is not uncommon).

Actually thinking about it now, are you sure there are still three checkpoints in T3? They reorganized things a while back, and I'm having a hard time picturing a third checkpoint. There's one at 75 (right beside the connector to G) and one around 70, but I don't think there's a third.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

I have confirmed that what many of you said is absolutely true.

Because we clear customs in YVR, we are basically in the US for all intents and purposes. Our reward tickets for this segment were on the same itinerary and we will have our bags checked all the way.

If we arrive at about 4:30pm does anyone know how long the BART takes to get downtown? Our family member wasn't even aware there is a train service between these two points.

Thanks for everyone's assistance.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 9:14 pm

Because we clear customs in YVR, we are basically in the US for all intents and purposes. Our reward tickets for this segment were on the same itinerary and we will have our bags checked all the way.

If we arrive at about 4:30pm does anyone know how long the BART takes to get downtown? Our family member wasn't even aware there is a train service between these two points.

Probably 40 minutes.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum

US airports don't have the concept of international transit areas. You'll be boarding your flight to Auckland and there could, theoretically, be a flight to Wichita boarding at the next gate. Just like those Wichita-bound pax, you can walk out the door and be in San Francisco. That's why even if you flew from a non preclearance airport, say, Mexico City, and cleared US immigration and customs at SFO, you'd then be just as free to go about your business in the US as any other visitor. International departures are not segregated in any way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.