Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What two cities to pair with Prague

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What two cities to pair with Prague

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2017, 5:21 am
alc

Originally Posted by miltonguy
Oh, I did not know that. Also, did not think of car rental as an option. I'd be willing to splurge and rent a convertible :-).

That said, the difference is higher in Y. In J the difference is 5,000 miles, so 10,000 for both. That's okay.
OP - not sure how much time you have and how much driving you really like to, but one other city to add to our road trip that my wife and I consider was Berlin, which is another 3-4 north of PRG. We end up didn't do it as we figure we would not have enough time to really visit all the cities we had already.

Also, if we do with an OpenJaw ticket, do keep in mind the Rental drop off fee. In my case, if I did do an OpenJaw to end our trip at Berlin, the rental company (Hertz in my case) want some 400 (I think Euro) drop off fee. So, we end decided just drive back to VIE and skip Berlin.

Another 2 cents of mine for you is if you do end up with going to drive, and you end up with just an Aeroplan ticket for just Canada-one_of_the city, you can now add another city here and there for a day or two. Say CDG or make ZRH or BER instead of drive then. Our family stop at CDG everyone we visit Europe, so, that is what we did last Summer with an AP ticket of YYZ-CDG-ARN-BER-YYZ. We drove from ARN to CPH and OSL and back to ARN for the same Drop off fee reason. And we pick ARN as the rental fee was the cheapest among ARN/CPN/OSL. So, check your rental rate at different cities as well.

Hope this help you in some way.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite, *Alliance Gold, Marriott Elite Silver
Originally Posted by alc
OP - not sure how much time you have and how much driving you really like to, but one other city to add to our road trip that my wife and I consider was Berlin, which is another 3-4 north of PRG. We end up didn't do it as we figure we would not have enough time to really visit all the cities we had already.

Also, if we do with an OpenJaw ticket, do keep in mind the Rental drop off fee. In my case, if I did do an OpenJaw to end our trip at Berlin, the rental company (Hertz in my case) want some 400 (I think Euro) drop off fee. So, we end decided just drive back to VIE and skip Berlin.

Another 2 cents of mine for you is if you do end up with going to drive, and you end up with just an Aeroplan ticket for just Canada-one_of_the city, you can now add another city here and there for a day or two. Say CDG or make ZRH or BER instead of drive then. Our family stop at CDG everyone we visit Europe, so, that is what we did last Summer with an AP ticket of YYZ-CDG-ARN-BER-YYZ. We drove from ARN to CPH and OSL and back to ARN for the same Drop off fee reason. And we pick ARN as the rental fee was the cheapest among ARN/CPN/OSL. So, check your rental rate at different cities as well.

Hope this help you in some way.
Thanks, much to think about :-). Appreciate it.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Krakow.
The (very nice) bus from Prague is 5 Euro.

For #2, I d pick Budapest and Berlin.
Originally Posted by cur
Krakow or Istanbul
+1 for Krakow.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 10:26 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Definitely recommend Krakow. I was blown away - expected very little, but got a lot. Great city center area, rich history, fantastic restaurants. And (at the time) quite cheap...
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: *A 50K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
We did Prague, Budapest, and Krakow. 4 nights in each city.
We did:
YYZ to PRG with a layover in IST on Turkish, simply to check enjoy the Turkish catering and their lounge.

From PRG to went to Warsaw for 3 days. I found reasonable fares on LOT to Krakow where we spent 4 days, then back up to Warsaw for 3 more.

Warsaw to BUD for a week with a 2 day drive out to Sopron.

I've been to and recommend:
Bratislava
Graz, Linz and Salzburg - all quick train rides from Vienna
Barcelona, Madrid and Seville
Lisbon

On the list:
Zagreb, Kiev, Athens

Depends a lot on what you want to see. What is it you want experience?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Chinesecowboy88
We did:
YYZ to PRG with a layover in IST on Turkish, simply to check enjoy the Turkish catering and their lounge.

From PRG to went to Warsaw for 3 days. I found reasonable fares on LOT to Krakow where we spent 4 days, then back up to Warsaw for 3 more.

Warsaw to BUD for a week with a 2 day drive out to Sopron.

I've been to and recommend:
Bratislava
Graz, Linz and Salzburg - all quick train rides from Vienna
Barcelona, Madrid and Seville
Lisbon

On the list:
Zagreb, Kiev, Athens

Depends a lot on what you want to see. What is it you want experience?
How much time did you spend in Bratislava, Graz, Linz and Salsburg and what did you like? Thanks.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Can someone remind us how the current discussion pertains to AC or AP? If I wanted to read about tourism advice I'd register on Tripadvisor.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Can someone remind us how the current discussion pertains to AC or AP? If I wanted to read about tourism advice I'd register on Tripadvisor.
Sure, AP is an exception in North America in that it provides 2 stopovers. It's right in the post title, I'd wager dollars to doughnuts that the reason OP is trying to pair 2 cities instead of 1 or 3 is because of the AP award rules.

Cheers
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: down to Zone 5
If you prefer to stay within Eastern Europe mostly and don't need an East/West mix, and don't mind non *A travel methods, we did this a couple years ago:

Dubrovnik, Budapest, then Prague. With air/train/car stopovers in Zagreb, Vienna & Cesky Krumlov along the way.

Absolutely loved that trip.

Last edited by sulfur; Feb 21, 2017 at 1:45 pm
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
There is certainly an AP dimension to it vis-a-vis which cities can be feasibly reached on *A without adding big YQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.