Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Really Falling Behind Other NA Carriers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Really Falling Behind Other NA Carriers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by hazcaddy
One thing I would appreciate is more Arrivals Lounges for flights 7+ hours from our shores.

The opportunity to freshen up before getting to the client, especially after an overnight flight, is one that can make all the difference.
+1
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by imverge
United offers Saks Fifth Ave. custom bedding .....
I just flew UA HNL-IAH on one of their new high density configuration with the "recycled" old international J flat bed.

I can confirm that UA offerred Saks 5th Ave comforter and pillow on this 7.5 hr. flight. No overnight kit.

Flight departed at 7:50pm - a full dinner with 3 entree choices and then a single choice "semi full" breakfast prior to landing. The breakfast included a fruit plate and a "French Toast Souffle" which was warm. Warm bread and nuts too.

I have found UA's North American F/J service to have improved considerably over the past year or two and their P fares are generally very attractive (i.e., substantially cheaper than AC).

United Club offers are on par with AC's domestic MLL's and better than AC transborder MLL.

IFE had many more choices than AC.

No, this was not a Polaris flight. It's a North American long haul but many features are superior to AC's North American J long haul.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jan 16, 2017 at 9:51 pm
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Delta - TUMI with Kiehl's skincare products
American - Cole Hann

Delta offers Westin Hotel Heavenly bedding
United offers Saks Fifth Ave. custom bedding

Personally, I pay attention to the small things and amenity kits and other inflight amenities are a good way for airlines to co-brand with luxury brands.
Good Lord, you're serious.

If a fourteen-cent sample of hand cream, and a blanket with a hotel's logo on it, are enough to drive your purchase one way or another, please enjoy your flight.

Meanwhile, speaking of "small things"...

Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary
Worth noting that one thing Air Canada does with its lounges, that United and American do not, is allowing their domestic Elite and Business Class passengers use them. .....
Domestic is when one is travelling solely within U.S.

One may access the United Club if flying transborder: Canada<--->USA

I didn't have any problem using the UC on my last several trips on UA.

When I was flying solely between two U.S. points, I can usually find a lounge with my Priority Pass.

UA seemed to have a lot more Elite level MP members. On my recent HNL-IAH flight, the upgrade standby list totaled 40! A lot more passengers were also entitled to Group 1 boarding when comparing to AC.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jan 16, 2017 at 9:54 pm
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
AC can make vast improvements with very little effort or cost. Start by cleaning the damn planes now and then. And fix the ones that need fixing. Maybe ask the FAs and GAs to smile once in a while. Or how about - and I know this is a stretch - treating pax like something other than human freight. It's the little things that go a long, long way.

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
AC will not up its game for the very simple reason that it does not have to. The US carriers are still of poor quality. Yes they are starting to improve, but AC has a few years before it has to worry. In any case, the US carriers really do not care about the Canadian market. They don't even offer proper premium service on many of their Canadian routes.
US carriers aren't on the same level as Asian carriers, no argument there. But neither is AC. So now that we're comparing apples to apples, I'll always give my business to US carriers when I can buy full J on their flights for the same as AC charges for PY, or often, for even Flex. Especially when unlike AC, the US birds tend to leave and arrive on schedule more often than not.

Totally disagree that "AC has a few years before it has to worry." US carriers have been steadily improving for a while now, while AC continues its headlong rush into the abyss.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: AC SE

If a fourteen-cent sample of hand cream, and a blanket with a hotel's logo on it, are enough to drive your purchase one way or another, please enjoy your flight.

Have you actually tried UA Polaris???

I recently flew AC J to SYD and returned on UA J via MEL. I actually thought UA had a better product overall. AC seats were a bit more private, but UA's on the 789 are better for traveling with a partner. Food, wine, bedding, amenity kit, PJ's were much better on UA. The awful UA 777-200's are only on a few routes and are being refitted soon.

If if you haven't done so, you may want to try out their product before you pass judgment. UA has been improving at a fast pace while AC has been static IMO.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG

Although it doesn't matter to me, but small touches like these is what separates NA carriers right now. AC is still falling behind. The diferences in the hard product, lounges and service are so minimal and subjective. Would you really pay thousands more to fly AC J over UA J? For the same hit/miss service and mediocre airplane food? That being said, I do completely agree that AC(or any NA airline) could easily separate themselves by keeping their planes cleaner and having better food in their lounge. Even smaller things like friendlier service and changing in flight menu more frequently would be easily noticed and much appreciated.

If you live in Canada and overall program value/flight costs are important to you, it's a no brainer to switch to UA or another US carrier from AC. I can make a LONG list why. Switched over years ago with the advice of ex AC SE's on FT. AC doesn't have anything significantly better than other NA airlines that justifies flying with them and crediting their FF program.

Let's honest here... FFers that fly AC only do it for two reasons:

1) No other choice(exclusive domestic travel; although Westjet Plus isn't too bad at all)
2) Company pays for ALL travel(with minimum Altitude qualifying fares)

Originally Posted by gcashin
Have you actually tried UA Polaris???

I recently flew AC J to SYD and returned on UA J via MEL. I actually thought UA had a better product overall. AC seats were a bit more private, but UA's on the 789 are better for traveling with a partner. Food, wine, bedding, amenity kit, PJ's were much better on UA. The awful UA 777-200's are only on a few routes and are being refitted soon.

If if you haven't done so, you may want to try out their product before you pass judgment. UA has been improving at a fast pace while AC has been static IMO.
I agree with all your points. Plus, the one time I flew the 777-200 in the 2-4-2, I was travelling with 3 other people so the 4 middle seats were actually a good time LOL!!!

Last edited by SKYEG; Jan 16, 2017 at 8:45 pm
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
You obviously don't fly J very much if you think AC is 'falling behind' US carriers. Gap has narrowed? Absolutely. But falling behind? Uninformed.

knowledge: TPAC/TATL J 2x each week past 10 weeks in J across all 4 carriers. And currently writing from UD UA 744. Once you actually fly all 4 carriers enough can you proclaim such nonsense.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Good Lord, if you are going to post photos then post the actual UA Polaris product.

Meanwhile, speaking of "small things"....
Attached Images     
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
You obviously don't fly J very much if you think AC is 'falling behind' US carriers. Gap has narrowed? Absolutely. But falling behind? Uninformed.

knowledge: TPAC/TATL J 2x each week past 10 weeks in J across all 4 carriers. And currently writing from UD UA 744. Once you actually fly all 4 carriers enough can you proclaim such nonsense.
I don't think AC has Internet service on any of its flights outside of North America yet.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

And currently writing from UD UA 744. Once you actually fly all 4 carriers enough can you proclaim such nonsense.
What's nonsense is the fact that you failed to read my OP which clearly highlights UA Polaris. Did your UA 744 have Polaris?... No it did not.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:18 pm

I said AC is falling behind with "small touches" they are offering, specifically with the amenity kit upgrades that was noted. US carriers are trying to be innovative and partnering with whoever they can to create that "edge".

I'm in J 90% of my travels, but yes not comparing all 4 carriers mainly UA to AC. I don't see anything that gives AC a significant edge in any apsects of their hard/soft product to UA. Gap was closed years ago and AC continues to make no creative improvements to justify their overpriced J fares.

This all being said, I still fly AC domestic and appreciate the fact they fly E90's and Airbuses on 1-2 hour flights compared to the brutal regional jets UA use for their 2-4 hour flights Canada-US. There are things that AC does better than US airlines. I just think in terms of INTL J comparisons, they are falling behind.

Last edited by SKYEG; Jan 16, 2017 at 9:23 pm
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
United, American and Delta (on select transpacific routes)

Delta - TUMI with Kiehl's skincare products
American - Cole Hann

Delta offers Westin Hotel Heavenly bedding
United offers Saks Fifth Ave. custom bedding

Personally, I pay attention to the small things and amenity kits and other inflight amenities are a good way for airlines to co-brand with luxury brands.
I don't pay attention to these small things when there are bigger things to pay attention to.

That said. If I were to I am not certain "co-marketing" and "branding" would be on the top of my kist.

Cole Hann (I had to look them up), are people who make boots and other shoes. What does a Cole Hann branded skin scream or tooth paste mean? Or is it just some white labelled amenity kit that happens to have a cool sounding name and logo stamped on it?

I also have to look up Keil's. They appear to be a high-end skin cream and cosmetics company from New York that has been around since the 50's. I would give them the benefit of the doubt. They probably do know a thing or two about the contents of an amenity kit.

Westin Hotel does not make bedding as far as I can tell. If they did it would probably not be the correct size, thickness etc for an aircraft. This is a again a pure branding cross-marketing thing.

Same thing for Sask Fifth Ave. They don't make bedding. They simply agreed to have their logo put on the bedding that United purchased.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:48 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
...but AC has a few years before it has to worry.
Then the time for AC to start worrying is now.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
I don't pay attention to these small things when there are bigger things to pay attention to.

That said. If I were to I am not certain "co-marketing" and "branding" would be on the top of my kist.

Cole Hann (I had to look them up), are people who make boots and other shoes. What does a Cole Hann branded skin scream or tooth paste mean? Or is it just some white labelled amenity kit that happens to have a cool sounding name and logo stamped on it?

I also have to look up Keil's. They appear to be a high-end skin cream and cosmetics company from New York that has been around since the 50's. I would give them the benefit of the doubt. They probably do know a thing or two about the contents of an amenity kit.

Westin Hotel does not make bedding as far as I can tell. If they did it would probably not be the correct size, thickness etc for an aircraft. This is a again a pure branding cross-marketing thing.

Same thing for Sask Fifth Ave. They don't make bedding. They simply agreed to have their logo put on the bedding that United purchased.
You're right that TONS of luxury products are co-branded and marketed as their own. It's just trusting that the products they outsource is still quality, with their brand/reputation being attached to the product used. Plus, rich people really don't think so deeply into these things; they buy because of the branding and feeling "exclusive". My friends would find it super cool to hear that my blankets were "made" by Saks 5th Ave compared to hearing about 2" more pitch. One of the first things I noticed years ago when I flew SQ J for the first time was the Givenchy branded blankets. Both the GF and I were impressed immediately(being 22 at the time and knowing how "expensive" Givenchy is).

Lots of luxury watchmakers use generic movements and even the cheap "fashionable" watches are all made by Fossil with other brands attached(Hugo Boss, Michael Kors etc). Also, it's besides the point. This branding will still sell tickets to people that pay full J as it's innovative marketing. There's a reason why luxury brand names sell products at insane prices and customers still line up to buy products(especially handbag makers).

All this stuff still doesn't make a difference to me but it doesn't take away that US carriers are pulling ahead with these tactics. People with money will buy based on these things. It's just the world we live in. It matters to people.

Last edited by SKYEG; Jan 16, 2017 at 10:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.