Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
UPDATED to add photo of venue and awesome and creative signs from exceptional host, Lights_a_blur.

(also useful in case anyone is searching for this thread sometime in the future. )

Location: Sam McGee Room at the Bard and Banker, 1022 Government St. https://bardandbanker.com The Sam McGee Room is the second floor, opposite the entry door. Walk to the far corner, go up, and look for pickles!
Date: May 6, 2017
Time: 17:30 for priority boarding

CONFIRMED:
24left
Lights_a_blur
ScGhost0
cedric
YEG_SE4Life
painintheuk
Nitehawk (subject to last minute travel).
catgirl
eigenvector (staying @ DoubleTree)
canadiancow (The Parkside Hotel & Spa)
SKYEG (The Parkside Hotel & Spa)
gabdusch
nomadic.relief
kirkwoodj
dudestir
Traacs plus 1
farmerbrown
DaveObee plus one
Moorw003
expert7700 plus 1
8yroldsuperelite
Argonaut 1000 plus 1
CZAMFlyer
DrunkCargo +2

WAITLISTED:
keitherson currently booked for SCL on the dates, but things may change
Aspan, depending on travel schedule
BlueMilk
Jasper2009

VDB:
Jumper Jack
CanRulez
RCyyz
AftOf 245

Not going because he accidentally booked a ticket to YYL instead (thanks ridiculous Canadian airport codes!):
Adam Smith
LOL -- not laughing at your misfortune but it's good to know that I am not the only person who has done this! Fortunately, I was an SE at the time, so they were pretty good at fixing it for me without a penalty! -- catgirl
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that was a joke - Adam
Damn! And I thought I had someone to commiserate with. I typed in YYZ instead of YYC and didn't notice till a couple of days before the flight ... it ended well -- catgirl

FLIGHTS and DATES:

24left
Fri May 5 AC 183 YYZ-YVR and AC 8065 YVR-YYJ
Sun May 7 Harbour Air #504 YWH-YVR South Terminal
Sun May 7 AC 118 YVR-YYZ

moorw003

Thu May 4 AC 699 YYT-YYZ
Fri May 5 AC 183 YYZ-YVR and AC 8063 YVR-YYJ
Sun May 7 AC 8078 YYJ-YVR and AC 308 YVR-YUL
Mon May 8 AC 7584 YUL-YHZ and AC8876 YHZ-YYR
Tue May 9 AC 8828 YYR-YYT

gabdusch
Fri May 5 AC311 YUL-YVR and AC8083 YVR-YYJ
Sun May 7 Harbour Air #504 YWH-YVR South Terminal
Sun May 7 AC 118 YVR-YYZ and AC 430 YYZ-YUL

SKYEG
Fri May 5 AC 211 YYC-YVR
Sat May 6 HeliJet 785 Vancouver Harbour - Victoria Harbour
Sun May 7 WS154 YYJ-YYC

canadiancow

Code:
Sat May 6 AC 563 SFO-YVR
 Sat May 6 AC 8073 YVR-YYJ
 Sun May 7 AC 8064 YYJ-YVR
 Sun May 7 AC 216 YVR-YYC
 Sun May 7 AC 8583 YYC-SFO

catgirl
Fri May 5: WS 155 YYC-YYJ (arriving 2045)

YEG_SE4Life
Fri May 5: AC 249 YEG YVR, AC 8077 YVR YYJ
Sun May 7: AC 8070 YYJ YVR, AC 244 YVR YEG

Harbour Air from YVR Saturday morning, return Sun morning:
https://www.harbourair.com/

Helijet (alternative to Harbour Air)
http://helijet.com

OTHER INFO:

YYJ Airport Shuttle (thanks Lights_a_blur !!)
https://yyjairportshuttle.com

Anybody into Golfing? (AftOf245)
This looks like something that my son and I would be interested in (YEG_SE4Life)

Saturday morning hiking

I am planning to lead a hike before the 'official' 'do'. So far 3 of us are going, but I'm happy to show off our beautiful trails to as many as possible! We will go at the pace of the slowest person (possibly me!).

We will be hiking from Alyard farm, meeting there at 11am. If you need a ride, PM painintheuk. It will be a slow, relaxed pace, with snacks along the way!

We'll be done and back in plenty of time to check in and relax before the Do.

Please add your name below:
PainintheUK
catgirl (well ... maybe)
eigenvector

AND A BIG BIG THANKS TO LIGHTS_A_BLUR AND THE OTHERS WHO MADE THIS HAPPEN!!!
Print Wikipost

YYJ Spring AC FT Do May 6, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:12 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by DaveObee
In terms of venue options, I am a member of the Union Club. Oldest private club in Western Canada, and all that. We could probably get a private dining room there. (Warning: It's a wee bit on the staid side...)
And only recently ( relatively speaking ) admitted women.

Tie and jacket required in most areas of the club.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:27 am

Programs: E50K
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Tie and jacket required in most areas of the club.
That changed many years ago. I rarely wear a tie or a jacket when I am there. (Twenty years ago, they kept a stash of jackets at the front desk in case anyone dared enter without one.) They still frown on jeans, but in a private room we could get away with jeans.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:53 am
Original Member

I guess that dates me.

Last time I was there was c. 1990. And yes, I needed to borrow a jacket.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:05 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Will it be relative reasonable priced at the club. Or will there be Tango menu option available?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I worry that the average age will double when I walk into the room...
I don't think you really need to worry about that. That is, of course, unless JJ is the only one in the room when you walk in.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:15 am
Original Member

And in other news...

Not necessarily venue material but some interesting places to explore for early arrivers and late departers:

Pagiaccis on Broad St
Johns Place on Pandora
Barbs Fish and Chips on Fishermans Wharf
Microbrew next Capitol Iron (I forget the name)
Foo Hongs on Fisgard to step back a hundred years (and Fan Tan Alley across the street)
Provincial Museum of course (and the rest of the causeway)
Strathcona Hotel ('nuff said)

And many others I'm sure.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:45 am

And in other news...
The brew pub is the Canoe, and it is not bad. Some of us in YYJ could suggest a few other places, and also warn against some.

But darn it, Ken, maybe you really are older than me. The Provincial Museum has been the Royal B.C. Museum for about as long as the Union Club has allowed female members. (Hint: I am sure many FTers could have been conceived there. At the club, I mean.)

It will be good to meet some real live people from FT. The only FTer I knew in Victoria moved to the mainland, poor guy, a year or so ago. A couple of years ago I thought of suggesting a Do here, but then I got distracted.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:15 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
An island Do! That's fantastic. I will probably come from "up island" (YZT), so if anyone else is doing the same I'll happily pick you up along the way.

​​​
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Is a charter really needed given how many scheduled flights Harbour Air runs? Or would you have them fly a more scenic route for added entertainment?
This would be the only reason IMO.

I could also likely organize a heli or two.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:00 am
Original Member

But darn it, Ken, maybe you really are older than me. The Provincial Museum has been the Royal B.C. Museum for about as long as the Union Club has allowed female members. (Hint: I am sure many FTers could have been conceived there. At the club, I mean.)
Do you remember when North Dairy Rd went to the North Dairy?

Well, neither do I, but I do remember playing the fields of tall grass where Hillside Mall now is. Back when that was rural land some distance from the city.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: EK-Skywards Gold / Delta Gold Medallion/E50K 1MM
Big Bad Johns, if it's an evening event I will be there, I will be golfing that day.

Last edited by AftOf245; Jan 16, 2017 at 11:17 am
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by AftOf245
Big Bad Johns, if it's an evening event I will be there, I will be golfing that day.
It will be an evening so it would great if you join us!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold

Not necessarily venue material but some interesting places to explore for early arrivers and late departers:

Pagiaccis on Broad St
Johns Place on Pandora
Barbs Fish and Chips on Fishermans Wharf
Foo Hongs on Fisgard to step back a hundred years (and Fan Tan Alley across the street)
Strathcona Hotel ('nuff said)
Pagliaccis I fear has gone downhill from the 'old days'. But if you like live Jazz and not being able to hear your tablemate, then no better place. Bonus points for being able to identify obscure celebrity headshots or finish a slice of cheesecake without regret.
John's Place is fantastic for curing the morning after the night before.
Never tried Barb's, but Red Fish Blue Fish on the wharf behind the old Customs House is a crowd pleaser. Located under the wingtips of float planes, the constant airplane activity might prove annoying to most, right?
You could spend a fortnight just at local breweries. Spinnakers (reopened since the light recent singe) is a lovely, walkable, waterfront venue with the added bonus of great craft beer and lots of local cred.
Chinatown is always fun to explore. Great suggestion. Easy strolls include James Bay, the Ogden Point breakwater, Dallas Road and the inner harbour loop using the Johnson St & Bay bridges. Bring a camera. And a thirst.
Museums tend to be a bit stuffy, but not the RBCM. A worthy diversion.
Strathcona. That brings me back.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Is a charter really needed given how many scheduled flights Harbour Air runs? Or would you have them fly a more scenic route for added entertainment?
You can find weekend GoFares for as low as $198 return between the two harbours. Scenic diversions unnecessary, as the regular route is pretty hard to beat.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:48 am

Do you remember when North Dairy Rd went to the North Dairy? Well, neither do I, but I do remember playing the fields of tall grass where Hillside Mall now is. Back when that was rural land some distance from the city.
So how long ago was that? From the Victoria Daily Times, February 12, 1969:

"Some 1,500 cars overflowed the parking lot at the new Hillside-Shelbourne shopping mart soon after 9 a.m. Then cars began to plug Edgeware, Oakland, Burton, Keats and Shelbourne as far north as McRae.

"The women appeared from cars, walking in, pushing baby buggies, pushing reluctant but helpless husbands in many cases. Commissionaires soon stopped entry from Shakespeare, Men of the Veterans' Security Service stood like Horatios along North Dairy. Others were braced on the floors and at escalators.

"The tide swept by them. The crowd flooded around a nurse with a wheelchair slowing her errand. Stragglers soon began falling out wherever there was a place to sit.

"Numbed faces, weary legs with toes turned in, claimed every space in the coffee shop as 80 people formed a line at the door. As the first wave of shoppers completed their orbits and moved out, new waves rolled in. Now traffic was going two ways in the car lots and some guards were mumbling to themselves.

"At press time it's still to early to assess the aftermath of the day of the great stampede.

"The minds of men may be scarred with what became a moving hallucination of flipping wallets, credit cards, cash drawers banging, free balloons and elbows in the ribs.

"The amazing thing was, however, the women appeared to love it."

... and boy oh boy, are we off topic now. Maybe I should suggest that we do the Do in the Hillside food court; that would at least make this post relevant to the discussion, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.