Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

R space oddity / 2017 IKK devaluation?

R space oddity / 2017 IKK devaluation?

Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
They're not killing it.

It's a glitch. It's being worked on.
I hope this is true.

It will definitely affect my flying and spending patterns if IKK for J is dead.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:53 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
They're not killing it.

Confirmed by BenL? Because the e-mail he sent to BlondeBomber didn't seem like it.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:00 pm

They're not killing it.

I highly doubt it.

With this, and a 15 minute hold for a Concierge two days ago, clearly SE is becoming worthless in 2017. They seem to be doing everything they can to decimate the program, and in the absence of any confirmation from 'them' as to otherwise, I just assume deceitful purposes.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Confirmed by BenL? Because the e-mail he sent to BlondeBomber didn't seem like it.
The email to BB was in response to a question like "I see R space but I can't IKK".

IKK tends to follow R space, and R space is a great indicator, but R1 does not guarantee IKK is available, and R0 does not guarantee it is not.

I do not believe Ben was aware of the current issue when he sent that email, and responded to the question asked.

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
I highly doubt it.

With this, and a 15 minute hold for a Concierge two days ago, clearly SE is becoming worthless in 2017. They seem to be doing everything they can to decimate the program, and in the absence of any confirmation from 'them' as to otherwise, I just assume deceitful purposes.
Care to make a wager?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Don't take that small quote out of context--it was only a piece referring to R inventory not equating somehow to J inventory for Priority Rewards/IKK.

We all know that doesn't equate 1:1 despite some people insisting that it does. In the past it was used as a very good rule of thumb to guess the chance of getting a priority reward and it worked well.

AC is looking into it. Let's give them the room to do it and see what gets kicked back to us.:-:

Then we can continue complaining bitterly (or not).

We all seem to agree that there is an issue here. AC is getting to the bottom of it. AFAIK there has been no change to the program to precipitate this so our best guess is an IT glitch. Perhaps that bidding for upgrade program, perhaps the program reset for 2017--who knows. Lots of room for speculation but nothing concrete other than J bookings domestically have virtually disappeared.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Perhaps Aeroplan needs to modify their website:

MYTH: Priority awards can only be booked by phone.
FACT: Priority rewards can neither be booked by phone nor online.

Maybe the priority counter will still start at 10 but will now be used to track something else. 10 prioritized phone calls a year? 10 AC metal YQ waivers?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by expert7700
Perhaps Aeroplan needs to modify their website:

MYTH: Priority awards can only be booked by phone.
FACT: Priority rewards can neither be booked by phone nor online.

Maybe the priority counter will still start at 10 but will now be used to track something else. 10 prioritized phone calls a year? 10 AC metal YQ waivers?
We need to stop giving them ideas...
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
AC Finally acknowledges the problem, officially

Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: AC SEMM, Nexus
AC just tweeted about this and are working to resolve it.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
AC Finally acknowledges the problem, officially

https://twitter.com/ACAltitude/statu...70649657683968
I love how in AC speak "all" = "some" .

If they send me their address, I will send them a dictionary. Free of charge, as long as they promise to use it.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ridefar
I love how in AC speak "all" = "some" .

If they send me their address, I will send them a dictionary. Free of charge, as long as they promise to use it.
This only affects J bookings. And J is only available to SEs.

So "some" is a much more accurate word than "all".
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:48 am

This only affects J bookings. And J is only available to SEs.

So "some" is a much more accurate word than "all".
It is also impacting Y bookings for me.

Just sayin'.

So for me, it is all.

I also find it interesting that the "technical difficulty" always goes in favour of the airline. If it is really a technical difficulty and not a "oh $hit we got caught" how come there is *never* increased inventory?

At the end of the day, it may well be a glitch, but I suspect I am less inclined to accept that explanation than you are. Nothing wrong with that either.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ridefar
It is also impacting Y bookings for me.

Just sayin'.

So for me, it is all.

I also find it interesting that the "technical difficulty" always goes in favour of the airline. If it is really a technical difficulty and not a "oh $hit we got caught" how come there is *never* increased inventory?

At the end of the day, it may well be a glitch, but I suspect I am less inclined to accept that explanation than you are. Nothing wrong with that either.
I have been purchasing Y IKK. Don't you remember the technical difficulty that allowed some people to buy J FPs at 10%? If any flights were booked on that pass, prior to AC correcting it, they honored the flight. Some people received an extra bonus in their Altitude packages in 2016 because of a technical difficulty. Just sayin' I think that AC's statements are more accurate than the ones you are currently making.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I have been purchasing Y IKK. Don't you remember the technical difficulty that allowed some people to buy J FPs at 10%? If any flights were booked on that pass, prior to AC correcting it, they honored the flight. Some people received an extra bonus in their Altitude packages in 2016 because of a technical difficulty. Just sayin' I think that AC's statements are more accurate than the ones you are currently making.
I remember that if you hadn't actually booked trips they didn't honour the FP. (And most people here were fine with that.) And the error lasted less than 24 hrs. And that only 2 or 3 people here ever claimed to have flights booked. And that you couldn't change those flights once booked (unlike a regular J FP).

But then again, AC's statement on IKK is that availability may be reduced "on certain routes and certain dates". Which, if you are located in YYC, means the vast majority or routes and the vast majority of dates that are overseas. I know that it would be crazy for them to actually be clear, specific, and complete, wouldn't it? So again, you say potatoe, I say potatoh. If AC didn't consistently fudge, and didn't consistently have poor communication (see innumerable threads here) then perhaps it would be reasonable to cut them some slack and treat this as a one off. IMO, they do, and they do, and so I won't. YMMV.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:10 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Confirmed by Ben Lipsey in an email this week and reported on another thread:

"I should also mention that many of the consumer tools used to check inventory (e.g. ExpertFlyer) are not actually able to search for true IKK availability, assuming you are simply searching for R class, as Aeroplan uses a different system that checks based on different criteria, so I might be careful about drawing conclusions based on that alone."

Availability has indeed shrunk dramatically recently.
Did the email start with "In the interest of transparency..."?
​​​​​​​

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.