Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Sign in using an external account

Old Feb 24, 03, 6:05 pm   #1

Operated by another Airline? Meaning...

I see some flights on the YYZ departures page as going to say Ottawa or Montreal. I see mostly AC but some Lufthansa and Mexicana. They say as Rapidair which is for AC. I know for a fact LH doesnt fly to YUL at all. Why do they display as that airline? Also what does Operated by an airline mean for something.

Thanks (I know I have many unimportant questions but I am curious to know the answers) I am a newbie at FT.
Old Feb 24, 03, 6:22 pm   #2

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fromYYZ_flyer:
I see some flights on the YYZ departures page as going to say Ottawa or Montreal. I see mostly AC but some Lufthansa and Mexicana. They say as Rapidair which is for AC. I know for a fact LH doesnt fly to YUL at all. Why do they display as that airline? Also what does Operated by an airline mean for something.

Thanks (I know I have many unimportant questions but I am curious to know the answers) I am a newbie at FT.
</font>
You newbie? Nah

What this means is that Lufthansa and Mexicana are selling seats on the operating carrier in this case AC. It's what we call a code share agreement.

They are all in Star Alliance so that's ok.

You'll find AC flight numbers on so many routes where AC never flies like LHR-BKK,
LHR-CPH, ORD-PHX, GRU-EZE etc

ACDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 03, 11:48 pm   #3

Another exampel is SK903 ARN-EWR which also have a UA,AC,MX and I also believe a LH flightnumber.
kempis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 03, 12:22 am   #4
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Mileage Run & Manufactured Spending

Yeah, quickest way to see if it's a codeshare on airport info screen is to look for an AC flite arriving and departing at same times as the MX or LH flight. Some airlines, like AS, may have as many as 4 or 5 codeshare agreements on one flight, so it may have not only a AS flight number but CO, NW, HA, KL also.
Old Feb 25, 03, 9:30 am   #5
exAC

British Midland at one time were purported to have one flight with 12 code shares on it.
Old Feb 25, 03, 11:26 am   #6
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It wouldn't surprise me if it was a LHRGLA or a LHRMAN flight. I took BD004 once and saw a humongous list of codeshare numbers -- *A and more...