Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What would you do in this scenario? (Illness ahead of scheduled AE reward flight)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What would you do in this scenario? (Illness ahead of scheduled AE reward flight)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2016, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion

Okay, so I just returned from a three-week trip to India and Nepal. My return flight from KTM-YUL was an Aeroplan reward flight on Turkish Airlines.

After successfully avoiding illness all trip, on the last night of my trip, I got stricken with a bout of Delhi Belly (actually technically Kathmandu Belly) and was very weak and sick the morning of the flight. I'd taken medication and rehydration satchels, but was feverish, dizzy, weak, and generally not in good condition to fly.

I had travel insurance. But after spending over $60 USD on hold with my insurer (apparently it's impossible to reverse the charges on a phone call from Nepal), all they could tell me was that I had to call the airline myself, try to rebook, and then submit a claim for the expense once I got home. Obviously, a last-minute change to an Aeroplan reward ticket was going to be tricky to accommodate in reward space -- I don't have any kind of status with Aeroplan or Turkish Airlines. A one-way revenue ticket booked at my own expense last minute would have cost a fortune.

Besides, there was no way to contact the Aeroplan call centre, as, given the hold times, it would have been astronomically expensive ($2.50/minute USD to call from the hotel), which was not covered by insurance. Plus, given the time difference, the Aeroplan call centre was on the verge of closing for the night. Also, I only had an hour or so until I had to go to the airport.

Turkish Airlines staff at an outpost airport (KTM) on a booking made via Aeroplan were completely unable to do anything to change my ticket. Not that I expected otherwise.

I ended up flying, even though I really was too ill. Despite having insurance, I didn't really see any other choice. It was a miserable flight. I was lucky that I actually got a bit better, as if my illness had gotten any worse, I could have been in serious trouble. In all my years of travelling, I've never faced that particular scenario. Despite having three separate insurance policies, it seems that when I needed assistance, I was unable to get any.

So... nothing to do about it now, obviously. But, what would you do in this scenario?
Old Dec 1, 2016, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Good to learn you recovered promptly from the sickness.

Could you have bought a return flight with cash and submitted the expense to the insurance instead of struggling to change you award reservation?

What were you hoping the insurance to do for you ?

BTW, do you have any advice for avoiding sickness in Nepal ?

Last edited by MasterGeek; Dec 1, 2016 at 10:28 am
Old Dec 1, 2016, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
BTW, do you have any advice for avoiding sickness in Nepal ?
Meh. I think it's just luck of the draw. I spent 3 weeks in India and Nepal illness-free only to get a bout of it on my last night there.

But generally the usual advice holds: Brush teeth and wash face with bottled water, don't open your mouth in the shower, stick to hot cooked foods, sealed drinks like bottled water, soft drinks, beer, etc. Don't eat salads, raw fruits and veggies, or anything from street vendors that looks like it's been sitting out a while.

I'm mostly vegetarian and India / Nepal are vegetarian paradise, so I didn't eat any meat on my trip, which probably helped. I suspect what did me in was the breakfast I ate on my last morning -- I got careless and ate the fresh fruit, whereas up until then I'd been avoiding all fruit except for bananas -- and I'm pretty sure that's what did it. Don't get careless.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Could you have bought athe eeturn flight woth cash and submitted the expense to the insurance instead of struggling to change you award reservation??
Answer to that is, maybe. It would've cost a fortune, but my insurance probably would've reimbursed some of it.

Not sure what would've happened if I'd been a no-show on my original booking, mind you. Probably nothing, as it was a one-way. But I doubt I would've gotten my 50,000 points back.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by segacs

I'm mostly vegetarian and India / Nepal are vegetarian paradise, so I didn't eat any meat on my trip, which probably helped. I suspect what did me in was the breakfast I ate on my last morning -- I got careless and ate the fresh fruit, whereas up until then I'd been avoiding all fruit except for bananas -- and I'm pretty sure that's what did it. Don't get careless.
We just don't go to India.

Even in China we are very careful. Not sure if it's getting better or if we are getting more careful, but my last two trips, this year, I did fine. Even though I had Peking duck with raw chives twice. At supposedly good restaurants that do cater to foreigners, however.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 10:54 am
Original Poster

I suppose "don't go" is always the most cautious option. But wow, talk about missing out on so much good stuff in the world!

Anyway, yes, you have to plan for getting ill in some places. And I did. I had all the right medication with me and three separate insurance policies. The only thing I hadn't anticipated was that my illness would show up within hours of my return flight home. You can predict a lot of things, but some things are just hard to avoid.

Most of my bookings are not with Aeroplan on reward points, so it's typically easier to deal with last minute flight issues. This was actually my last-ever booking with Aeroplan; I'm down to <300 reward points and moving on from the program. So it's more of a cautionary tale for anyone else who comes along.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Sorry to hear this happened to you. I've had the misfortune of "Delhi belly" several times and flying long-haul with it would be truly awful. I disagree that TK can't do anything for you, on the day of travel, they *can* make changes, they just probably won't because they aren't supposed to make voluntary changes to award tickets.

But if you were able to find a sympathetic agent (unlikely at an outstation such as KTM), I think they *could* rebook you.

Anyway, I agree buying a new revenue ticket is the only realistic insurance-reimbursable option and wow, you better have a high limit on your trip interruption coverage for a last minute one-way from Nepal to Canada. Mine goes up to $5,000 but I know a lot of the CC-included policies max out at $1,500 or so which definitely isn't enough.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I have stopover in Nepal too for my upcoming mini-RTW award trip. Which kind of travel insurance product should I get that will reimburse a cash paid due to a similar scenario ?

I paid the scamcharges using an AmEx SPG card
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:41 pm

Imodium.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Anyway, I agree buying a new revenue ticket is the only realistic insurance-reimbursable option and wow, you better have a high limit on your trip interruption coverage for a last minute one-way from Nepal to Canada. Mine goes up to $5,000 but I know a lot of the CC-included policies max out at $1,500 or so which definitely isn't enough.
To be fair, fares are quite low right now; I'm seeing one-way last minute revenue tickets on Google for as low as $1,500 or thereabouts. But, yeah, it depends on your luck, I suppose. You also had better have a credit card with a high enough limit for that sort of last-minute purchase (always a good idea when travelling around the world), and the financial ability to cover the cost for a few months while battling it out with your insurance company (not ideal for many... though arguably, if you can't take that hit, you shouldn't be travelling. I had to in 2010 when the Iceland volcano hit. .... happens.)

I have three separate insurance policies when I travel, and one of them has a higher trip interruption limit than the other two. So in theory I could've done it, I suppose, if I'd been ill enough that I had no choice. But sorting through those kinds of things while sick in a foreign country is a giant hassle.

But, I definitely have a lot more compassion for people on my flights now who are ill. I used to see them and think "why are you travelling when you should be in bed?" Now I know. Sometimes getting on the plane is the least-worst option.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Basically you buy a new ticket and make an insurance claim when you get home. Most policies I've seen reimburse 1 way Y ticket to home with a max ~1500 - 5000. Most airlines accept credit cards.

CIBC aeroplan infinite card:

Reimbursement to You of the expenses You actually incur as a result of one of the insured risks up to the maximum sum insured for the extra cost of:

C. Your economy class transportation via the most cost-effective route to rejoin a tour or group on Your Trip; or
D. Your economy class transportation via the most cost-effective route to Your Departure Point; or
E. Your economy class one-way air fare via the most cost-effective route to Your next destination (inbound and outbound) on Your Trip

Risk Maximum Sums for each Trip

For Trip Interruption and Trip Delay the maximum sum insured is up to $5,000 per Insured Person (maximum of $25,000 per Trip).

TD Aeroplan Infinite:

Trip Interruption Insurance $5,000 per Insured Person per Covered Trip $25,000 total per Covered Trip for all Insured Persons on the same Covered Trip

=================

While AMEX Platinum only covers 1500.

Last edited by beep88; Dec 1, 2016 at 3:41 pm
Old Dec 1, 2016, 4:48 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I had more or less exactly that issue in DEL rather than KTM. I elected to stay in DEL an extra day. A very helpful concierge who knew somebody in the LH ticketing office in FRA got me on the DEL-FRA flight the next day and also switched my AC ticket to one day later. I think my result depended more on luck than good management. Ms Ridefar also spoke to the concierge in FRA personally to explain the situation. It was a reward ticket and I was prepared to buy economy flights home if I had to. When people ask why I have a certain amount of loyalty to AC I think situations like that pretty much explain it.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ridefar
I had more or less exactly that issue in DEL rather than KTM. I elected to stay in DEL an extra day. A very helpful concierge who knew somebody in the LH ticketing office in FRA got me on the DEL-FRA flight the next day and also switched my AC ticket to one day later. I think my result depended more on luck than good management. Ms Ridefar also spoke to the concierge in FRA personally to explain the situation. It was a reward ticket and I was prepared to buy economy flights home if I had to. When people ask why I have a certain amount of loyalty to AC I think situations like that pretty much explain it.
Wow, that's pretty awesome. I'm glad that worked out for you. (Sorry you got struck by the dreaded Delhi Belly, though. It ain't fun, is it?)

When you say concierge, do you mean an AC concierge? Or someone at your Delhi hotel?
Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Stranger
We just don't go to India.

Even in China we are very careful. Not sure if it's getting better or if we are getting more careful, but my last two trips, this year, I did fine. Even though I had Peking duck with raw chives twice. At supposedly good restaurants that do cater to foreigners, however.
If you avoid such travels, pretty soon your immune system will be so weak you will not be able to ANYWHERE !
Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:59 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Sorry to hear of your troubles OP but good you made it back safe & sound.

I think it all depends on your insurance coverage. I've selected mine carefully (AMEX Ultimate) and my crazy flying friends have used the same coverage in a wide variety of situations, though nothing quite like yours. If you have faith in your insurance, I would have just bought a new ticket and dealt with it after the fact.

Another option to contact Aeroplan would have been to try phoning one of the outstations. From Nepal I would have tried calling AE in Hong Kong perhaps or if that time zone didn't work, somewhere in Europe maybe.

Phoning while the meter is running is tricky so I always try to buy a local SIM on arrival but still use Skype, FaceTime etc. Using plain old telephone service is always a last resort for me.

Another option - I might have bought a ticket for the shortest hop possible to somewhere "normal". Could you have made it to SIN or DXB or HKG? At least there, you'll have good chances to find quality medical care / good hotels without having to struggle with language issues.

But all of this really does come down to the faith you do or don't have in your insurance plan. For your own knowledge, it might be worth calling your provider and asking them what would have happened if you had done any of the above. What would their reimbursement policy have been?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.