Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan hold times: getting even worse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!

Lucky at One Mile at a Time has a full blog about Aeroplan wait times today: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...an-hold-times/

TL;DR:
I called Aeroplan last night, and I was told the hold time would be 93 minutes. After 140 minutes of waiting on hold my call was disconnected.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:23 am
Suspended

Called in as a Diamond member, no hold time. mind you i called in at 7pm taipei time...
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a SEMMer , I generally get the message about significant hold times at AE. Call usually picked up within 60 seconds.
The SE desk call line is just about the same,FWIW
Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I now use a priority number that I found through some Google searching. I just tested it this morning: The automated voice quoted me 45 minutes but I got connected within 2 minutes of hold.

However I noticed that during the evening/night I still get long hold time even when calling the priority number, maybe too many status and premium cardholders calling it at that time or just old time Aeroplan IT fail.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by yyzborg
Called in as a Diamond member, no hold time. mind you i called in at 7pm taipei time...
yep same here, called to do a flight change, barely a minute wait time...
Im Diamond as well.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 8:51 am

Last Monday I waited ~140 minutes and then the line was disconnected. I recalled and waited about 40 minutes, they answered and asked me at what time they could call me the following day.
This morning I received an e-mail apologizing for the delay
...we are sorry for not providing you with the level of service you deserve.

Last edited by rodriarano; Dec 1, 2016 at 8:51 am Reason: Formatting
Old Dec 1, 2016, 8:58 am

Having access to priority numbers via AC/AP status and saying I waited less than 60 seconds is irrelevant here.
The problem is that the wait time for the regular line is seriously ridiculous.
I've been told by many friends that the norm nowadays is at least an hour wait, and often times no call back option is provided.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan
The article made some salient points. There is zero incentive for AP to make things better since it is a captive market.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I now use a priority number that I found through some Google searching. I just tested it this morning: The automated voice quoted me 45 minutes but I got connected within 2 minutes of hold.

However I noticed that during the evening/night I still get long hold time even when calling the priority number, maybe too many status and premium cardholders calling it at that time or just old time Aeroplan IT fail.

And comments posted under the article in the OP:

high end hobo says:
December 1, 2016 at 9:45 am

Lucky i’ll email you the VIP number.
Don’t share it

InstantElite says:
December 1, 2016 at 9:46 am

There is a priority line number if you search well the internet or do some social engineering ��

-----------

Hmmmmmmm
Old Dec 1, 2016, 9:36 am

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
I fell ill in Nepal and almost was unable to fly home. However, I would have had to call Aeroplan from Kathmandu to make any kind of change to my flight, and at $2.50 US/minute, that would have been completely impossible.

I ended up having to take my flight while sick. Luckily my condition improved during the course of the flight, but had it not, this would have been a real problem.

Long hold times are more than a mere inconvenience; they can be a serious hazard for stranded travellers.

ETA: Also to mention, with the time difference from Nepal, I would have been cut off during Aeroplan's "overnight" closure, too.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 9:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by segacs
I fell ill in Nepal and almost was unable to fly home. However, I would have had to call Aeroplan from Kathmandu to make any kind of change to my flight, and at $2.50 US/minute, that would have been completely impossible.

I ended up having to take my flight while sick. Luckily my condition improved during the course of the flight, but had it not, this would have been a real problem.

Long hold times are more than a mere inconvenience; they can be a serious hazard for stranded travellers.

ETA: Also to mention, with the time difference from Nepal, I would have been cut off during Aeroplan's "overnight" closure, too.
You need to switch your cel phone to Rogers. Unlimited calls to Canada for $10 per day, including data and texts(some countries only $5 per day). AE is only closed for 6 hours or so, that should not have been a problem for you. You could have figuired out the time change easily.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
You need to switch your cel phone to Rogers. Unlimited calls to Canada for $10 per day, including data and texts(some countries only $5 per day). AE is only closed for 6 hours or so, that should not have been a problem for you. You could have figuired out the time change easily.
My cell phone is Koodo Pay as you Go, which doesn't roam at all outside Canada for any price. I can't afford a Rogers plan. My Koodo plan is under $20/month. The cheapest Rogers plan is 4 times that amount.

I buy local SIM cards when I travel. But they don't allow me to call Canada outbound. They're for local data, mostly.

It's nice for you if you can afford those expensive plans, or if your company pays for them. Not all of us have those kinds of means.

ETA: Looked it up; Rogers Roam Like Home doesn't work from Nepal.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by segacs

Glad to hear you made it back ok. Of course not great that you fell ill.

This is a serious issue of Aeroplan not being reachable by phone or with a 24/7 website with at least one person manning battle stations.

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse

Disappointed that you showed little compassion here.

While Rogers may have a good deal for some, not everyone has a cell phone. Yes, shocking. Not everyone can switch to Rogers - or wants to. Their Roam Like Home plan has rules and regs and is part of a larger home service, which not everyone has or wants to have.

That said, the issue here is not Rogers or cell phones but the inability of Aeroplan and Air Canada customers to reach their designated Travel Agent, Aeroplan, within a reasonable amount of time, 24/7 either by phone or web, anywhere in the world.

Period.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 10:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Talking

Originally Posted by 24left

Disappointed that you showed little compassion here.
Little compassion? Sometimes when you travel, things come up. One must be able to look after lifes pop up problems If you can't, you should not be travelling 1/2 way around the world. As I said in the past, the cost of travel is not just your airlines ticket, but all costs, including problems that come up.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by 24left
That said, the issue here is not Rogers or cell phones but the inability of Aeroplan and Air Canada customers to reach their designated Travel Agent, Aeroplan, within a reasonable amount of time, 24/7 either by phone or web, anywhere in the world.

Period.
Thanks. That's exactly my point. Aeroplan acts as de facto travel agent for bookings made through them. The fact that there's no way to reach them 24/7 from anywhere in the world is a real problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.