Wiki Posts
Search

Curse you lucky Flex-bookers!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Curse you lucky Flex-bookers!

I live in Vancouver - Most of my business travel is to the US, so I'm United Gold.

However, I just booked a November work trip to Halifax, so I'm on AC. Per corporate policy, I had to book Tango, costing me the sweet, sweet qualifying miles I would have earned on Flex that would have tipped me into United Platinum.

To those of you who get to book Flex I say this: I hate you

And I mean that in the nicest possible way.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
I booked flex for the first time ever.
Because... I had no choice.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gglave
I live in Vancouver - Most of my business travel is to the US, so I'm United Gold.

However, I just booked a November work trip to Halifax, so I'm on AC. Per corporate policy, I had to book Tango, costing me the sweet, sweet qualifying miles I would have earned on Flex that would have tipped me into United Platinum.

If its that important, call AC and pay the difference to move to flex. Most agents will tell you that they cannot touch a TA ticket but HUCA
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:52 pm

My company policy is Tango as well. Which sucks.

Although one time I got to take a business trip to Asia and the policy is Business class from here to Asia. That was more like it.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
You could upfare on your own $ to Flex if the RPUs from UA Platinum are worth it to you.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by vernonc
If its that important, call AC and pay the difference to move to flex. Most agents will tell you that they cannot touch a TA ticket but HUCA
FWIW you can probably do this with your corporate travel agent too. I have done it many many times on DL, UA, AC, etc booked via Concur/Amex Travel. That works even better than trying it through AC (who are perfectly correct to say that they can't touch a TA res).
Old Oct 28, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by ridefar
FWIW you can probably do this with your corporate travel agent too. I have done it many many times on DL, UA, AC, etc booked via Concur/Amex Travel. That works even better than trying it through AC (who are perfectly correct to say that they can't touch a TA res).
Yes any competent TA can handle an upfare and they should be aware that no change fee applies as well (though the TA may charge their own service fee for the change).
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eigenvector
(though the TA may charge their own service fee for the change).
May? Come on.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 6:14 pm
Original Member

The proper routing for Vancouver to Halifax is SEA-xxx-YHZ, where xxx is the connection point of your choice.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by gglave

One way to work around these type of policies is to put off booking your travel until the last minute and tango may not be available. I'm not advocating that you cheat the system, but sometimes the system isn't really fair.

Luckily we have an arrangement with AC whereby I pay less for flex than tango.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 6:45 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
In my old days I was on my firm's frequent flyer list and was able to book latitude passes for all north american flights.

99% upgrade probability. Those were the days.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 8:27 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
One way to work around these type of policies is to put off booking your travel until the last minute and tango may not be available. I'm not advocating that you cheat the system, but sometimes the system isn't really fair.

Luckily we have an arrangement with AC whereby I pay less for flex than tango.
Sometimes I am just so overworked that I cannot get around to putting in my travel request. Just as I don't make the travel policy, I don't control my workload, and I just have to get things done before my head is clear enough to know what I need to book.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I'm sure we'd book flex if it was possible, however it's so short notice that it rarely is
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
You could upfare on your own $ to Flex if the RPUs from UA Platinum are worth it to you.
Agree, surely it's worth a couple of hundred dollars to move up to Flex. Back in the old days (1980s) I'd regularly upgrade my corporate Y tickets to F, paying the difference for both the extra miles and real premium service. In OP's case there's a significant benefit in paying the difference if it means 100% EQMs and achieving UA/MP Platinum status (and 2 RPU credits). I just paid $110 more for a Flex over Tango fare (YVR-YYZ), got access to free seat selection, 100% mileage and the opportunity to upgrade.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by vernonc
If its that important, call AC and pay the difference to move to flex
You could upfare on your own $ to Flex
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Agree, surely it's worth a couple of hundred dollars to move up to Flex
Yeah, I know I could get out my credit card and plunk down my own $450 to get Flex.

Point of this post is I'm jealous of you lucky FTers who don't have to do that - You don't have to get out your wallet - You just click the 'Flex' button and the beancounters don't care.

Originally Posted by flyquiet
Sometimes I am just so overworked that I cannot get around to putting in my travel request. Just as I don't make the travel policy, I don't control my workload, and I just have to get things done before my head is clear enough to know what I need to book.
Yeah - If I were to attempt that, I'd be pointedly asked why I didn't book earlier and likely be informed the meeting will be occuring via webex.

Last edited by gglave; Nov 15, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.