Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

$77 AQD short of P25. YYZ to YOW, YUL or YQT?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys, I'm $77 short of P25 and am planning a same day trip to cover the balance. Tickets to YOW, YUL and YQT are more or less the same price from YYZ.

The biggest question is, which scenic route would you recommend?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
If you go to YOW or YUL you could take Via Rail on the way back to save some money. Montreal is obviously the most interesting of the three, unless you've never done the museum circuit in Ottawa. There are some nice hikes around Thunder Bay, although it's getting a little chilly outside and you'd need a car rental.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by hsandhar
Hey guys, I'm $77 short of P25 and am planning a same day trip to cover the balance. Tickets to YOW, YUL and YQT are more or less the same price from YYZ.

The biggest question is, which scenic route would you recommend?
I would do YUL because of the smoked meat.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys. YUL it is then. YYZ->YUL->Smoked meat poutine->back to YYZ.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
silver status is useless save you money.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:28 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by flybit
While it's not worth it to pay a lot of money for P25K, for $77 it will be worth it. It will help in IRROPS putting you ahead of the masses or when on Standby. Also the 20 Eupgrade credits are nice, and I've never had trouble using them up by the end of the year. Priority checkin, and the priority contact #s have also proved helpful. All in all you'll probably get much more than your $77 worth out of having P25K (at least it's helped me).
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer
While it's not worth it to pay a lot of money for P25K, for $77 it will be worth it. It will help in IRROPS putting you ahead of the masses or when on Standby. Also the 20 Eupgrade credits are nice, and I've never had trouble using them up by the end of the year. Priority checkin, and the priority contact #s have also proved helpful. All in all you'll probably get much more than your $77 worth out of having P25K (at least it's helped me).
Plus a few lounge passes and complimentary checked baggage (and sports equipment) is nice to have for $77. This is a mileage run I can approve.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:51 am

Although the OP is likely to have to spend more than $77 to get the $77AQD.

If the OP expects to do a bunch of domestic travel on Tango fares over the next year and will check bags, this could be worth it - otherwise I'd give it a pass and keep a closer eye on things next year.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I thought P25K was useless until the year after mine expired.
I made a point to get E35K by early recognition the next year.
The baggage alone was worth it to me.
I wouldn't run for 25K from 15K but someone that has the AQD/AQM and needs such a small AQD, it seems the OP flies enough to be able to use the benefits and it's worth it.
If AC was more on the ball with AQD information at time of booking or consistently correct afterwards (and not relapsing remitting now-you-see-it-now-you-don't on the dashboard) the OP could have bought some kind of AQD eligible add-on to previously planned travel that would have pushed it over. Sad OP has to do more travel to get it, but doesn't sound too upset at the prospect.
BTW I vote for the smoked meat too.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by flybit
For $77 I'd probably do it, though the time would be the main issue for me.

It is true that P25 is not worth much, but if I factor in what I have received for the benefit this year I would say it did provide me with at least $77 worth of stuff. I've checked bags several times and used e-ups for four flights as part of TATL PE bookings (which is probably the main plus I've had). The one time I used the MLL pass, I didn't enjoy the experience and would just as easily missed that, and did in fact not bother the next couple of times I was through YYZ and had time.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 4:03 pm
alc

Originally Posted by arf04
For $77 I'd probably do it, though the time would be the main issue for me.

It is true that P25 is not worth much, but if I factor in what I have received for the benefit this year I would say it did provide me with at least $77 worth of stuff. I've checked bags several times and used e-ups for four flights as part of TATL PE bookings (which is probably the main plus I've had). The one time I used the MLL pass, I didn't enjoy the experience and would just as easily missed that, and did in fact not bother the next couple of times I was through YYZ and had time.
I think the comment is not whether P25K worth $77, it is whether spending $200+ to meet the required $77 AQD worth it or not
Old Oct 24, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
I honestly havent found a STAR A flight from Toronto <200 R/T yet.... maybe you guys have some ideas.

We are about 100 short of 10,000 AQD for SE due to currency issues.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by alc
I think the comment is not whether P25K worth $77, it is whether spending $200+ to meet the required $77 AQD worth it or not
You can insert $200 where I've written $77. It'd still be the same response from me. I'm generally sceptical of the value of doing extra mileage to get status on this age, but there are def cases where it can be worth it. The time would be the big one for me.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I think this is where it would have been much easier to just upfare from G to W or whatever on a necessary flight if you knew you were going to be short by this much.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I think this is where it would have been much easier to just upfare from G to W or whatever on a necessary flight if you knew you were going to be short by this much.
Which is my point about the incompetent AQD dashboard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.