Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Using aeroplan points for upgrade.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Using aeroplan points for upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Aeroplan - EVA air upgrade

Hi all,

I am trying to book a Premium economy ticket (fare T elite saver) with EVA yyz-tpe. I have been looking on both Aeroplan and EVA site and can't have a definitive answer if yes or no T fare is upgradable with Aeroplan miles to Business class.
Thank you !
Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by chlap88
Hi all,

I am trying to book a Premium economy ticket (fare T elite saver) with EVA yyz-tpe. I have been looking on both Aeroplan and EVA site and can't have a definitive answer if yes or no T fare is upgradable with Aeroplan miles to Business class.
Thank you !
Eligible Booking Classes for Upgrade Request
Star Alliance upgrades may be requested when flying in:

Economy class (Y,B fare classes)
Business class (C,D fare classes)

Some Star Alliance carriers offer upgrades from additional booking classes as follows:

Air Canada (AC) Premium Economy: O booking class
Air New Zealand (NZ) Economy class: E, O, or U booking classes
ANA (NH) Economy class: E booking class and Business class: J or Z booking classes
Ethiopian Airlines (ET) Economy class: G or S booking classes
EVA Air (BR) Economy class: K booking class
Lufthansa (LH) Economy class: G or E booking classes / Business class: J booking class
SAS (SK) Economy class: S booking class
Shenzhen Airlines Economy class: G, M, or U
Singapore Airlines (SQ) Economy class: S, T or P booking class for upgrades on flights with Premium Economy only. Business class: Z, J or U booking classes
South African Airways (SA) Economy class: M booking class for domestic flights only
SWISS (LX) Economy class: M or U booking classes and Business class: J booking class
United (UA) Business class: J class

https://www4.aeroplan.com/saua/Guidelines.do
Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Using aeroplan points for upgrade.

Hello,

I want to take an EVA Air flight from Toronto to Taiwan this December. I have enough aeroplan points to have the round trip upgraded from economic to business.

I read a few aeroplan rules, and it says that in order to be eligible for upgrade, I have to buy a more expensive economic ticket (Y and B class) at full price, and I have to buy the ticket first before I can apply for upgrade.

Now the problem is, if I bought the ticket, and then aeroplan tell me that they are out of upgrade slots, then I wasted money buying the more expensive economic tickets.

Just wondering if there is a way to know if upgrade is available before I buy the EVA Air ticket.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The upgrade will almost certainly not be available until 2 weeks before departure.

However, you can also book K on EVA, which is eligible. I believe (though I'm entering unfamiliar territory) that this is premium economy, and is not too expensive. So then even if you can't upgrade, you have a decent seat.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:15 pm

Thank you, canadiancow, for the amazing fast response!

I just went ahead and bought the ticket anyways, since I have this vacation planned already...

One the aeroplan upgrade page, it says upgrade not available for this flight...

Did I do something wrong? Or is this what I will see until 2 weeks before departure?

I booked the B class of EVA Air, depicturing 16th of December...
Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:37 pm

Sorry for double post, how do I delete this...?

Last edited by dearmusic; Oct 21, 2016 at 6:59 am
Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:41 pm

Sorry for triple post, how do I delete this...?

Last edited by dearmusic; Oct 21, 2016 at 7:01 am
Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, AC SE
Nothing to do with you. Eva air doesn't release award business class seats until t-14 except in very rare circumstances.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:09 pm

Thank you for the reply, just one more question, I bought my ticket through an agency. The ticket is not discounted, it is just purchased through an agency. Would I still be eligible to upgrade?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, AC SE
Originally Posted by dearmusic
Thank you for the reply, just one more question, I bought my ticket through an agency. The ticket is not discounted, it is just purchased through an agency. Would I still be eligible to upgrade?
You'd have to check the fare code for your ticket to see. Look at your email your agency gave you.. it should say on there. Something like (Y) Economy or (J) BUsiness.. or whatever
Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:25 pm

It says Economic (B).

I am wondering if the source of the ticket can block me from using aeroplan upgrade, or maybe all tickets are treated the same as long as the class matches the upgrade requirement?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:37 pm

It says Economic (B).

I am wondering if the source of the ticket can block me from using aeroplan upgrade, or maybe all tickets are treated the same as long as the class matches the upgrade requirement?
It shouldn't matter

Keep checking, or even call EVA Air to ask about Z class inventory (or is it I?)

FYI, my post in another Facebook group (in Chinese though)
Upgrade should give you better value than straight booking (in my case, upgrade gives you 7 CPM vs. usual valuation of 2 CPM)

BR YYZ-TPE 11月票(淡季)來回直飛 Y/J都有位置

經濟艙最便宜$1121 CAD (cheapest Economy)
B艙 $1654 (B-class economy)
菁英艙/Elite $1708
最便宜商務艙$5248 (Business class)
$1654 +50K升等 -> 50K價值$3594CAD (0.072)

50K Aeroplan通常我會給$1000 value (0.02)
等於拿$1654+$1000=$2654換到$5248的票..幾乎50%

不過 我還是乖乖用75K Aeroplan+$75CAD tax/fees換來回經濟艙而已 @@
反正只是睡覺而已 而且 我一輩子也不會花$2K~$5K買商務艙的機票的
而且..只花$75和花$1654 CASH還是有感覺的
Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
It shouldn't matter
Thank you for your help!

不過 我還是乖乖用75K Aeroplan+$75CAD tax/fees換來回經濟艙而已 @@
You can get EVA Air ticket for free with 75k points? Aeroplan.com is not showing me this option!

反正只是睡覺而已
Man, you have no idea how jealous I am for those that can sleep full 15 hours...

Last edited by dearmusic; Oct 20, 2016 at 6:52 pm
Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
OP you just fell for one of the bait & switch strategies of Aeroplan and frequent flyer points programs in general. Aeroplan made you buy a more expensive ticket without guaranteeing that you can get an upgrade with enough miles.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You can get EVA Air ticket for free with 75k points? Aeroplan.com is not showing me this option!
Yes, within 14 days of departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.