Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Experience with fares on AC 823/822?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE

Does anyone here have experience with the fares on AC 823/822, and how low these can get?

I'm planning on travelling to YYT in March (for the Brier) and fares right now are about £580 r/t. My gut instinct from flying AC, BA, and UA TATL is that this is too high - around £400 is my ideal airfare when buying a TATL Y flight.

But the LHR-YYT flight seems like such a special case: there is no direct competition (WS seasonal flights won't start until May), and any connecting itineraries will be a real palaver since they will take at least twice as long to get to YYT. So maybe £580 will be about as good as it gets?

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere - I had a look and couldn't find anything.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:34 am

Programs: Asiana Diamond+, Qantas Gold, Virgin Gold
Fares come and go, but when I lived in Atlantic Canada, it was very rare that the nonstop to LHR from either St. John's or Halifax would go for less than 1000 CAD return. As of right now, that comes to 588 GBP.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:36 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
I fly YYT-LHR 8+ times a year. Outside of the seasonal WJ flight, I think my flight cost averages somewhere around $1200. When the competitor flight is running then it can be had for $6-800. On this route you are never going to get a GBP400 fare in the "off" season I'm afraid. Competition is everything! GBP580 for March feels reasonable.

You might get a better fare with a circuitous routing via YYZ, YUL or the US but probably wont save a great deal and will double or more your journey time. (823 is 5-5.5hrs / 822 is 4.5hrs ). In my mind its worth paying a <reasonable> premium for the direct route. The value of <reasonable> is up to you!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
On this route you are never going to get a GBP400 fare in the "off" season I'm afraid. Competition is everything! GBP580 for March feels reasonable.

You might get a better fare with a circuitous routing via YYZ, YUL or the US but probably wont save a great deal and will double or more your journey time. (823 is 5-5.5hrs / 822 is 4.5hrs ). In my mind its worth paying a <reasonable> premium for the direct route. The value of <reasonable> is up to you!
I certainly agree that £580 is a reasonable fare. There are connecting fares that are £350 or so on WestJet through YYZ, but those are ~17 hours, and, well, they're on WestJet, whose transatlantic services are widely reviewed as awful.

I just didn't want to be a mug if fares regularly got much lower. So your feedback is appreciated.

Since you fly the route regularly: I note that the AC page when purchasing the flight advertises onboard wifi. Is that merely based on the aircraft type? I'd be pleasantly surprised if it actually worked anywhere except near YYT.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by PeaSouper
I certainly agree that £580 is a reasonable fare. There are connecting fares that are £350 or so on WestJet through YYZ, but those are ~17 hours, and, well, they're on WestJet, whose transatlantic services are widely reviewed as awful.
I'll be giving WJ a go early next week. (as AC wanted $2k return for a trip not involving a Saturday night vs. $600 for WJ!) WJ's generally poor TATL experience is more I think to do with the aged 767's they use for all other routes. On YYT-LGW (& DUB) they use 737's which are more reliable. Whether they are more comfortable than AC's A319 I'll let you know next week!

Since you fly the route regularly: I note that the AC page when purchasing the flight advertises onboard wifi. Is that merely based on the aircraft type? I'd be pleasantly surprised if it actually worked anywhere except near YYT.
AC's narrow body fleet - including the A319's used on this route - are fitted with GoGo Air To Ground, Wifi technology. ATG uses ground towers (like cellular phones do). No towers in the middle of the Atlantic(!) so no Wifi I'm afraid. That doesn't stop FA's on those flights routinely announcing that Wifi will be available, routinely telling disappointed customers some time later that they will "reboot the system" and then routinely telling same customers that unfortunately the Wifi isn't working today.

AC is rolling out Satellite Wifi (again through GoGo) on it's widebodies & that'll work anywhere. Unfortunately, I doubt that the two aircraft used on this route - C-GITR & C-GITP - will get Satellite Wifi so it'll never be available. (AC only has two ETOPS certified A319's so it's either one or another of these aircraft on this route).
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
My visitors last week paid £374 pp with AC last week to YYZ. Admittedly the $367 to YYT makes that a little more pricey. You could drive it of course, though perhaps not in March.

Are you dates flexible? Flying mid-week like Weds/Thurs tends to be cheaper, not to mention better odds on an LMU offer.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by jc94
My visitors last week paid £374 pp with AC last week to YYZ. Admittedly the $367 to YYT makes that a little more pricey. You could drive it of course, though perhaps not in March.

Are you dates flexible? Flying mid-week like Weds/Thurs tends to be cheaper, not to mention better odds on an LMU offer.
Drive it? Google Maps gives a 37hr drive time. That includes a 6hr Ferry crossing. Who the hell would want to do that? Especially in March.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life

With the Brier on, you would think the flights would be fuller than normal, making the prices higher.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
I fly YYT-LHR 8+ times a year. Outside of the seasonal WJ flight, ...
So how long does that WJ flight take? Do they fly the 1900D or DHC-6 accros the pond? How many stops required? You must either be a real sucker for punishment or the WJ flight must be hella cheap compared to the AC flight.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by jaysona
So how long does that WJ flight take? Do they fly the 1900D or DHC-6 accros the pond? How many stops required? You must either be a real sucker for punishment or the WJ flight must be hella cheap compared to the AC flight.
You've lost me but in answer, B737 & 5hrs. Or is there some awfully clever point you are making that I've missed?

Edited to add WJ is ICAO code for Air Labrador so that's the point you are making? Sorry, I prostrate myself in front of the FT gods. WS of course is what I meant.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
You've lost me but in answer, B737 & 5hrs. Or is there some awfully clever point you are making that I've missed?
WJ = Air Labrador
WS = Westjet

Old Sep 30, 2016, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Are you dates flexible? Flying mid-week like Weds/Thurs tends to be cheaper
I'm flying over for the Brier, and have my accomodation booked, so the dates aren't flexible. The flights will get busier with the Brier, of course, though I can't imagine that there are very many people from the UK travelling to St. John's to see it.

not to mention better odds on an LMU offer.
I imagine that on this route, an LMU offer probably isn't great value (for me). Given that it's on an A319, there will be no flat-bed seats. I've already got *G so I should already have departures lounge access at both ends (though no arrivals lounge at LHR on the way back). And finally, I suppose that the the alcoholic drinks will be free in economy as they are on other AC TATL flights, though now that I think about it, as it's a short-haul aircraft I suppose that AC could do something different.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 6:01 am

I
I imagine that on this route, an LMU offer probably isn't great value (for me). Given that it's on an A319, there will be no flat-bed seats. I've already got *G so I should already have departures lounge access at both ends (though no arrivals lounge at LHR on the way back). And finally, I suppose that the the alcoholic drinks will be free in economy as they are on other AC TATL flights, though now that I think about it, as it's a short-haul aircraft I suppose that AC could do something different.
LMU on this route is a lousy deal as its a short flight and you are correct, no lie flat seats. IMHO it is worth buying preferred seats for a little bit of extra legroom. (But not Row 12 as the arm rests are fixed). I've had reasonable success with shoulder season flights in getting a whole row to myself - so flip up the armrests and you can lie down. Booze and food is free as its an International Flight. Food is poor though so I eat in LHR before boarding.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:15 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I'm flying over for the Brier, and have my accomodation booked, so the dates aren't flexible. The flights will get busier with the Brier, of course, though I can't imagine that there are very many people from the UK travelling to St. John's to see it.
You may be the only one
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: Super Elite 100K
$$$

Originally Posted by navigator4309
Fares come and go, but when I lived in Atlantic Canada, it was very rare that the nonstop to LHR from either St. John's or Halifax would go for less than 1000 CAD return. As of right now, that comes to 588 GBP.
Remember the bad old days when that would be about 400 GBP? Don't miss that nonsense!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.