Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is Air Canada allowed to ask for the purpose of my travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!

This has been bugging me for awhile. In contrast to every US carrier and international carrier I've flown with, they have never asked me for the "purpose of my travel". If they do ask, it's optional.

Obviously, such information is extremely proprietary: Air Canada wants to know who is flying where and for what reason, especially if they want to capture high-value business fliers.

For check-ins, Air Canada prevents you from actually checking in unless you give them the reason for your trip.

I have never seen any other carrier do this: UA/AA/DL/AS will ask you for destination address (if needed) or just travel document verification at check-in. They don't ask you for the purpose of your trip: that's for the immigration officers.

Obviously, this is something that they would datamine for value. Is this actually legal? Are they just using document formalities as a way to extract information on their fliers?

And don't worry, my phone is being charged now.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hertz asks for purpose of travel when you try to check rates on line. I always say leisure since I suspect this response may result in lower rates.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:59 am

Programs: AC SE 200K, SPG PLAT, HH DIAMOND
I imagine this is more of a transborder issue as they ask every time I check in for a flight to the US. The question never comes up on domestic flights. Why do you care about the question so much? Say leisure if you want....
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by keitherson
And don't worry, my phone is being charged now.
Awesome because I was starting to worry.

As for reason, what are the options? Just business or leisure? What if my trip is a combination?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:50 am

Programs: On Sabbatical, BA Bronze
easyJet does this.

I just randomly select one or the other.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Awesome because I was starting to worry.

As for reason, what are the options? Just business or leisure? What if my trip is a combination?
There's a bunch: immigration, family, student, and some others

Originally Posted by YYZ_TVGuy
easyJet does this.

I just randomly select one or the other.
I suspect easyjet is definitely datamining. European authorities definitely don't require it.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: AC 35K, Hilton Diamond
If it's transborder, you're asked the same questions on the declaration form. I'd imagine AC is forwarding this answer to CBSA/CBP in electronic format. I've never seen this asked domestically.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 6:26 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Why would it be illegal? They're a private company, they could legally ask you more intrusive questions than that, providing that they don't discriminate against you once they learn you're a Zoroastrian.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 6:29 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
If it's optional, then I would have thought that they're "allowed" to ask you anything they want.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
It isn't just Transborder

I get asked on Int'l flights too

I have not given it much thought, though. It doesn't get sent to Customs, so you can put whatever you like.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 6:51 am
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
On transborder, there is some combination - IIRC it is CDN citizen, US resident, biz travel but I could be misremembering (it actually applies to me on some but not all trips) - that will make it impossible to do OLCI. Check-in is fine with concierge or at the airport.
I don't consider this discrimination. But it suggests that even if they are not submitting this info to customs, they are trying to identify certain border-crossers for further scrutiny - and that must be a CBP issue
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Of all things to get worked up about, this is about last on the list.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:14 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I don't think I've ever been asked this at check-in. Then again, I always do the APIS beforehand. In that case, it asks for purpose of travel the same as the blue CBP form (or GE kiosk), which I've always assumed was a government requirement.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Depending on your destination (plus country of passport, etc.) the purpose of travel can make a difference as to whether you need a visa or not.

Personal example:
Citizenship/Passport: Canadian
Destination: Thailand
Purpose of travel: leisure = no visa required
Purpose of travel: business = visa required

Airlines have an obligation to only carry passengers who are eligible to enter a country otherwise they risk fines and the extra costs associated with immediatetey carrying them back on the next available flight.

The question is legitimate.

You say certain US airlines don't ask. Try to check in at a kiosk in MIA for an AA flight to anywhere in Central America or the Caribbean. The check-in will be frozen and an agent will appear to verify your passport... even for countries for which Canadians do not require visas under any circumstances.
--
13F
Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: AC MM, SE100K
Originally Posted by YOWgary
Why would it be illegal? They're a private company, they could legally ask you more intrusive questions than that, providing that they don't discriminate against you once they learn you're a Zoroastrian.
Because it would be a violation of PIPEDA, the Canadian privacy act. Religion is "personal information".

Whether purpose of travel is "personal information" within the meaning of the act is unclear. But if it is, then the act requires them to say what they will use the information for. And providing the information is optional unless it's essential for the transaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.