Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada President: Business Class Customers Don’t Like Surprises

Air Canada President: Business Class Customers Don’t Like Surprises

Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by AirCanadaFlyer
You mean to tell me there are flight attendants that write hand written notes for pax? Does it mean they take notes while you talk or just a little welcome aboard like they do in hotel rooms?
Have I been loyal to the wrong program all along?
I got handwritten birthday card on a domestic flight, plus upgrade to J at check-in.

On the connecting international flight, I received a hand-drawn birthday card, signed by the pilot, and a hand decorated birthday fruit platter.

That was with NH. International segment was in F.

It was an AP redemption. I had no status in any *A program.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
Originally Posted by jsfrSE
CX does this for their Diamond passengers on long hauls when serving meals in J and F, as well as when it is your birthday, even if you fly in Y.
Doesn't UA also do this for their 1K and GS customers?

I find the J product on AC very good. I'd like to hear from AC what their plan is to make PY more consistent. Most of my PY experiences start with something resembling legacy J and by the end of the flight deteriorates to Rouge Y
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jsfrSE
CX does this for their Diamond passengers on long hauls when serving meals in J and F, as well as when it is your birthday, even if you fly in Y.
Darn. If I had known I would've jumped ship a decade ago.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Serious question: why I would care about getting a handwritten note from an employee of a massive corporation who is writing it according to a prescribed form dictated by a corporate policy?

Clean toilets are a rather more interesting feature of CX planes, IMO.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: AC SE 200K, SPG PLAT, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I seem to recall flying SFO-YVR on a rouge aircraft for quite a long time. In fact, one of the Bens even came on FT and admitted that they had rouged a non-leisure destination.

They said SFO/LAX were the exception, and I know SFO is back on mainline (I am unsure about LAX), but the fact is, they rouged a mainline business route.
I remember flying YVR-SFO on Rouge quite a bit as well. I got used to it. Never found it to be that much worse in J class actually.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Interesting Ben said "clean cabins".
Next he said the best business class in NA. WOW he must be unaware of Delta new product, or Uniteds!

Or he wanted to say this year AC have the best product, next year when our narrow pods that have no leg room because the table is in the way we will be way behind AA/UA/Delta.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I'd like to be surprised and actually clear the eUp waitlist so I can fly in J.

To me this is the most interesting part of the article "Air Canada believes its business class seat is so good that the airline doesn’t need first class." - I agree in many ways with this; but this is ONE part of the J service. The other parts are well ... service (incl. food and a pleasant airport experience including a lounge with more than pickles and Z1 boarding) and consistency with said service.

And that's where AC can lack, consistency in many parts of the above.
Except lounges, they seem to consistently be below most other airlines.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:01 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by jc94
I'd like to be surprised and actually clear the eUp waitlist so I can fly in J.

To me this is the most interesting part of the article "Air Canada believes its business class seat is so good that the airline doesn’t need first class." - I agree in many ways with this; but this is ONE part of the J service. The other parts are well ... service (incl. food and a pleasant airport experience including a lounge with more than pickles and Z1 boarding) and consistency with said service.

And that's where AC can lack, consistency in many parts of the above.
Except lounges, they seem to consistently be below most other airlines.
Consistency is indeed a problem when flying in J, you can have a terrific crew, while at other times the service is poor.

I agree with most comments here, but the fact remains that other North American and foreign carriers are consistently enhancing their business class products to remain competitive.

In a few years, if nothing changes at AC, one has to wonder if they will feel their business class product is still superior compare to competition.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Can you please advise which AC mainline business route has been Rouged? The only mainline route's that have been Rouged are leisure.
Originally Posted by segacs
So, in your view, nobody ever travels to Athens, Barcelona, Budapest, Casablanca, Dublin, Edinburgh, Fort Lauderdale, Las Vegas, Lima, London, Los Angeles, Mexico City, Miami, Panama City, Prague or Warsaw on business, then?.
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
The only city in your quota that would be a business route is London.
Wpgjetse ... um ... you do realize that Vegas hosts more conferences and trade shows each year than any other city in the world, don't you? (more than 22,000 each year, according to these guys). Would you consider the hundreds of thousands of people who work those events to be leisure travelers?

And LAX? Are you serious?

I can't speak for every city on that list, but to say London is the only one drawing significant business traffic is completely ridiculous.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Anyway, the topic of this thread is consistency. Even if some of these routes are only 10-15% business travel, how is it in any way "consistent" if you happen to be one of those 10-15% and you end up booking a route that's been Rouged? Or even worse, your route gets Rouged between the time you book and the time you fly, and all you're offered in compensation is the right to cancel and rebook on a competitor?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems he has not heard about "consistently inconsistent?"
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by segacs
A Even if some of these routes are only 10-15% business travel, how is it in any way "consistent" if you happen to be one of those 10-15% and you end up booking a route that's been Rouged?
What if it's 5 to 10 %? 2%?

There are many city pairs between which there will unavoidably be some business traffic, that are without a direct link. The line has to be drawn somewhere.

At the end of the day we are arguing semantics. Just replace "business route" by "business heavy route," vs. "predominantly leisure."
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
What if it's 5 to 10 %? 2%?

There are many city pairs between which there will unavoidably be some business traffic, that are without a direct link. The line has to be drawn somewhere.

At the end of the day we are arguing semantics. Just replace "business route" by "business heavy route," vs. "predominantly leisure."
YVR-SFO was rouged, and they admitted it wasn't a predominantly leisure route, but it was low enough yield that they wanted to do it anyway.

So the argument that no business routes have been rouged is simply false.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:18 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by AirCanadaFlyer
You mean to tell me there are flight attendants that write hand written notes for pax? Does it mean they take notes while you talk or just a little welcome aboard like they do in hotel rooms?
Have I been loyal to the wrong program all along?
That is indeed cathay.

I especially like the comment about business class "at an attractive price point". I think we are in different universes.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
I especially like the comment about business class "at an attractive price point". I think we are in different universes.
Once I get another promotion I will have the pleasure of flying J regularly and I don't think work would enjoy pay the pricing premium of AC J

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.