Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC, WestJet 'colluded' to charge checked bag fee, proposed class action alleges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC, WestJet 'colluded' to charge checked bag fee, proposed class action alleges

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
????

From Stats Canada
Net incidental air transport related revenue 873,172 1,109,650 27.1%
Increased by 27.1% YOY when the pax increased by 6.5%

Overall revenue increased by 7.3% vs pax increase by 6.5%

Using the same logic, I dont want to "pay" more because you want to drink booze in lounge. Lets charge for that too and use the revenue to improve food offering I like instead.
Right, incidental revenue increased significantly more than overall revenue. Which means that people were paying for what they were using, rather than getting bundled fares.

Discussing lounges, at all, seems like a bit of a straw man.

Tango fares are unbundled. No bags. Even domestic Flex fares include a bag. Latitude two. Business three.

Tango fares also don't include lounge access.
Nor do Flex fares, though it can then be purchased for some amount.

Business class fares are bundled fares. In addition to bags, they include lounge access, priority services, and tons of other bundled features.

If you want a cheap fare, it's going to be unbundled, and everything on top will cost money. That's Tango.

If you want everything included, that's Business.

If you want something in between, Flex includes seat selection, a bag, and some other minor things.

But making the argument that features of my business fare should be unbundled and cost extra because I don't hate the idea of Tango fares is a little ludicrous.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I think you're confusing "free" and "bundled"

If airlines were required to offer two free checked bags on all routes, what do you think would happen to the fares?

They'd likely go up.

And I don't want to pay more because you want to check a bag.
I don't think that's an accurate way to characterize fares for a modern international airline with complex revenue management. The cost of a fare is not related to the cost of service provided in any meaningful way except in the very long-term sense that the airline must avoid going bankrupt. The only thing that determines the fare is how much the airline thinks the market is willing to bear, not what is included. Which is exactly what Air Canada would say if you asked them to explain why they will fly you from Vancouver to China, with 2 included bags and meals, twice over for less than they'll take you to St John's for. AC has pricing power on YVR-YYT, they don't on YVR-China.

Cost reductions only get passed on to the consumer in highly competitive environments, which Canadian domestic air travel is not. In any situation, the airline is already trying to maximize revenue (i.e. charge the maximum that the public is willing to pay) regardless of whether baggage, food, etc. is included. Delivering less just improves the airline's bottom line, which may be critical to the long-term financial viability of that route or their entire operation.

Cutting free baggage on very high load factor routes likely did not decrease fares one cent. On routes that were performing poorly, it probably let AC drop the lowest Tango fare by $10 or $15 to try to fill more seats without losing money. But it's not as simple "add any free perks and fares will go up". Airlines will raise fares at any time they can, not only in lockstep with increasing perks/services.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Silence! You communist! let the invisible hand and market prophets do its job!
Privyet, comrade.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by segacs

As it happens, I personally would like to see some sort of limitations on this squeezing of passengers -- some minimum standards that we all acknowledge airlines should respect before they're allowed to sell a ticket. If not, we could conceivably all end up stuffed into a plane sideways like cargo. But those limitations are not going to come from the airlines themselves; they'd have to come from additional industry regulation by governments.
Alas, I suspect that most people, given a choice of such a minimum standards, but assorted with the (even minimal) price implications would vote against.

Sad truth is that the system is working. airlines are delivering what most customers want. Actually AC was among the last ones to recognize it.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
I think you're confusing "free" and "bundled"

If airlines were required to offer two free checked bags on all routes, what do you think would happen to the fares?

They'd likely go up.

Actually this just happens when there is no competition.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Alas, I suspect that most people, given a choice of such a minimum standards, but assorted with the (even minimal) price implications would vote against.
Once again, I think your price implications argument has been thoroughly debunked on this thread.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by flybit
Actually this just happens when there is no competition.
Funny, aren't you one of the ones who said there's tons of competition on my primary route of SFO-YYZ?

And yet, AC's baggage policies are "worse" on transborder routes (Flex gets 0) than on domestic (Flex gets 1).

If this is all related to competition, then transborder itineraries would have a higher baggage allowance than domestic, no? Because AC has to compete with UA, DL, AA, WS, and I actually don't even know which other airlines fly into Canada.

But domestically, it's only WS.

So why is the baggage allowance lower on transborder itineraries where there's way more competition?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once again, I think your price implications argument has been thoroughly debunked on this thread.
In this thread? Really, where?

Best I saw was Cow, "I don't want to pay for your luggage." Which arguably sums it up.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
In this thread? Really, where?
See eigenvector's post above.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Which I could understand, if you were a price-sensitive flyer. But you willingly and repeatedly purchase flight passes and single fares that cumulatively cost thousands more than is absolutely necessary to get from A to B (or C via D and E). Of course, it's completely fine if you desire the flexibility, comfort, status and upgrades those higher fares enable. But let's not pretend you give two farts about incremental bag surcharges.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See eigenvector's post above.
???

I think I have agreed that price implications might be "minimal."

Bottom line, the race to the bottom is alive and well.

AC has never done better than after they introduced sardine class. People seem to love it. Which BTW has to have a much bigger impact on fares than unbundling luggage fees.

The one very negative impact of luggage fees actually is that as a result so many people are trying to get away with bringing the kitchen sink onboard. One might have thought that that would have made airlines regret the move. But apparently not.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Which I could understand, if you were a price-sensitive flyer. But you willingly and repeatedly purchase flight passes and single fares that cumulatively cost thousands more than is absolutely necessary to get from A to B (or C via D and E). Of course, it's completely fine if you desire the flexibility, comfort, status and upgrades those higher fares enable. But let's not pretend you give two farts about incremental bag surcharges.
Well, let me rephrase.

Replace "I" with "Most flyers".

My mom doesn't want to pay for your luggage.
My dad doesn't want to pay for your luggage.

The primary reason I buy these flight passes is that at time of booking, they are CHEAPER than the lowest available fare. I am a cost-conscious consumer. My travel patterns just result in my "lowest possible fare" being 3-4x that of yyznomad on his one annual trip, booked 10 months out, to see his grandmother.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by zorn
It would be interesting to see if there was actual collusion (i.e. the companies actually communicated with each other) or if this is "collusion" as understood by people in their basements on the internet and their media enablers who will print anything unfavorable about any airline.
Given that the suit claims that "announcing" is logically analoguous to "collusion", I will go for the basement level understanding.

The general populace apparently cannot comprehend the difference between price-fixing and price-matching and how and why one is legal and the other isn't. Of course price-matching is trumpeted by the "smart-consumer" as taking advantage of retail competitiveness in other markets, consumer electronics in particular but is evil when gas retailers and airlines do it (albeit, in a somewhat different form).

There is clearly a lack of competition in at least a good portion of the Canadian passenger airline market but that is a problem quite different from collusion.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
This has to be certified. It will take 1-2 years before this even hits the courtroom.
Silliness personified. Business must be slow for Tony.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:10 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question what remedy?

Yeah, & what is the proposed remedy? My guess is it won't be complimentary bag checks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.