Community
Wiki Posts
Search

763 pods vs. 787 Zodiac seats

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:05 am

Programs: TK *G
Another good thing about the classic pod I'd that you can actually use the foot rest when seated. For new pods, my feet don't reach there if I am seated upright.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by The Lev
I know that it has been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere, but it still boggles my mind that nobody at AC seems to have taken note of the sleeping problem with these new pods during the purchasing process. I gather that a number of current or former FT regulars test drove the seats for AC - did they not notice or did AC ignore the feedback?
You would think the person in charge of the final purchasing decision would go sleep in these seats for a couple of nights- even in a show room somewhere.

Its like when AC first introduced 'lie-flats' on the A340 on YYZ-HKG. The seats did not go quite horizontal and there was no foot rest at the end. So you just kept sliding down the seat all night . They passed out feedback forms, which I filled with comments--- one of which was 'did nobody from AC sleep on these seats and really try them out?' Needless to say, they quickly added the foot rests, then these seats disappeared quite quickly and were all replaced with what we now know as the classic pods.

You would think they would learn.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by Plumber
You would think the person in charge of the final purchasing decision would go sleep in these seats for a couple of nights- even in a show room somewhere.

Its like when AC first introduced 'lie-flats' on the A340 on YYZ-HKG. The seats did not go quite horizontal and there was no foot rest at the end. So you just kept sliding down the seat all night . They passed out feedback forms, which I filled with comments--- one of which was 'did nobody from AC sleep on these seats and really try them out?' Needless to say, they quickly added the foot rests, then these seats disappeared quite quickly and were all replaced with what we now know as the classic pods.

Same can be said for the Studio Pod on 777HDs.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I prefer the 763 pod for sleeping because I sleep on my side and find that the tray table knocks against my hip when I try to roll over. For daytime flights I prefer the big screen of the new pod.

For long flights I find the higher humidity and better cabin pressure of the 787 makes a big difference to how I feel when I arrive.
+1 for all your ppoints. Some of the newer pods feel like I am being measured for a coffin.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: AC SE
For me it's a no brainer, the 787 wins hands down in every respect. Plane itself is fantastic and I prefer the pods. I fly it fairly regularly but certainly not as much as many here.

My take on the feedback from this forum is:

1. There are some folks here that fly way too much - and know every small difference between the pods. Pretty useful actually but for most average travelers the pods are great.

2. Size matters: I can totally see how those 787 pods can be tight if you are bigger (in any dimension). I'm 5'10/170lbs and have zero issues sleeping in those pods.

The only thing i'd say is that the inflating mattresses which were great seem to be increasingly not working properly.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: AC SE100k, MM, MP, onepass, Fairmont Platinum, Millennium Hotels Elite
I prefer the 763 pod for sleeping because I sleep on my side and find that the tray table knocks against my hip when I try to roll over. For daytime flights I prefer the big screen of the new pod.

For long flights I find the higher humidity and better cabin pressure of the 787 makes a big difference to how I feel when I arrive.
Could not disagree more. Always found the old pods near impossible to sleep on because there were always bumpy seams right beneath the hips and other areas affecting comfort (in fact, other than for direct aisle access, I preferred the earlier generation puffy lounger style non flat beds for comfort). The new 787 style pods are much smoother and more comfortable to me than previous gen. Even at over 6ft tall do not find much problem from table in turning over. In last gen pod, I always had table up and flipped away so there was somewhere to put something and this created a more difficult turn over issue. At least with new studio pods there are more surfaces to put things when lying flat. There are issues but overall more comfort and much better design facing away from other passenger vs towards them. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by newguy62; Sep 22, 2016 at 10:24 am
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by yvr_amm
For me it's a no brainer, the 787 wins hands down in every respect. Plane itself is fantastic and I prefer the pods. I fly it fairly regularly but certainly not as much as many here.

My take on the feedback from this forum is:

1. There are some folks here that fly way too much - and know every small difference between the pods. Pretty useful actually but for most average travelers the pods are great.

2. Size matters: I can totally see how those 787 pods can be tight if you are bigger (in any dimension). I'm 5'10/170lbs and have zero issues sleeping in those pods.

The only thing i'd say is that the inflating mattresses which were great seem to be increasingly not working properly.
I'd add to that that it's also extremely dependent on the route you fly.

YYZHND, the sleep is critical for a jetlag free arrival.

YULYVR, I couldn't care less really.

It really pains me because I find the 787 experience better in every single way. But when you're on a flight where your sleep is critical (and on YYZHND I love to sleep for 7h), the discomfort of the seat become magnified.

It really intrigues me because, IMHO, the critical advantage of Business travelling is to arrive at destination fresh and rested. Having a big screen TV, a cool remote control, and a fancy folding tray table brings (arguably) close to nothings to this ultimate goal.

If I was part of the team in charge of designing or choosing the seat, my primary concerns would've been:
1) sleep comfort
2) work space

That's it. Only once these two have been maxed would I turn to all the other little goodies to add on.

I would trade the big TV any day of the week for more Z axis legroom any day of the week.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I like both, but i feel like my shoulders are a bit broad for the old pods. My only issue with the new ones is that damn arm rest. I hate the 20-30 minutes on either end when I have to drop it. But that's a small issue.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Plumber

After my first 340 flight to HKG, I had my lawyer send them a letter threatening legal action over their false advertising of "lie-flats", which those were definitely not. I ended up with a cheque for $1000.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:20 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I know that it has been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere, but it still boggles my mind that nobody at AC seems to have taken note of the sleeping problem with these new pods during the purchasing process. I gather that a number of current or former FT regulars test drove the seats for AC - did they not notice or did AC ignore the feedback?
I presume we are still bound by the confidentiality agreement, but yes, it was
noticed and AC was informed.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
I still like the B767 pods since I can put the seat lie-flat, then raise the headrest just a little bit, so I can sleep on my stomach, and have my hands under the headrest, like I would with my hands under my pillow at home. The new B787 gray pod seats do not allow you to put your hands under the headrest in lie-flat mode, so I have nowhere to put them but on my sides which is not my natural sleep position.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
The old pods seem to have an edge when it comes to sleeping, particularly for those of us who prefer to do it on our side rather than back. Otherwise I do find them rather exposed, and awkward for looking out the window. Obviously the new pods have the benefit of a larger IFE screen (which can be watched during take-off, landing and taxiing) and functional storage and ledge space, as well as greater privacy.

Flew the old pod to GRU in August, and the new one (albeit on the 777) a couple of times over the summer and spring. Only tried AA's 788 version thus far but have another GRU with AC in January when that route drops 763s for 788s.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Not just at AC, but this seat can be found on dozens of other airlines too. So while there are some minor variations, the problems remain on all carriers flying them.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
After my first 340 flight to HKG, I had my lawyer send them a letter threatening legal action over their false advertising of "lie-flats", which those were definitely not. I ended up with a cheque for $1000.
Very nice ^

Though if I remember a couple of those flights often cost >$10K each RT at the time...
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100*1MM; Spire Ambassador

My experience is exactly the same: I hate the loss of the upper leg space which prevents me from sleeping well in the 787-800, in comparison to the old 767 bed/chair. They could improve it but installing a side rotating tray table. Cathay Pacific's 777 business class seats have a much better upper open space to sleep. I also found that the J-class seats are really not comfortable to sit on.

But the overall ambient environment in the 787 aircrafts is something that I really love, particularly the window lighting adjustability (day time flight), air humidity, extra space for personal items that were non existent in the 767s and previous 777s, and the duvet is another extra.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.